Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:42:52 pm

Author Topic: Subject Choices Advice:  (Read 664 times)  Share 

hhamish27

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Subject Choices Advice:
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:50 pm »
Hey Guys,

First timer poster, long timer lurker...

I was just wanting some quick advice on the subjects I have chosen for VCE.

1. English
2. Further Mathematics
3. Japanese Second Language
EDIT: Japanese Second Language, Sorry!
4. Geography
5. Business Management

I wasn't able to complete a Unit 3/4 subject in Year 11 as my school has a very strict policy, and I wasn't allowed to pursue it due to personal circumstances. (Only 30 people out of 250 are allowed to do it, which gives you an idea of the standards).

My aim for an ATAR is around 80-90, but I would be happy with anything to be fairly honest. How difficult is it to achieve such an ATAR, and is it possible to aim for this with a part-time job (around 10 hours per week, and no hours with the month or so prior to exams).

Any experience or advice is welcome.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:55:55 pm by hhamish27 »
2018: English, Further Mathematics, Japanese Second Language, Geography and Business Management
2019: [insert course that makes me feel good here]

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Subject Choices Advice:
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:37 pm »
Hey

I had a quick play around with atar calc. If you get 35 in everything it gives you a predicted atar of 79.9 to 83.45 depending on if Japanese is first language (lower) or second language (higher).

If you have a favourite subject it is definitely easier to get higher in it. I am only doing english and further the same as you, so I don't know how hard the other subjects are. Its kind of hard to judge how hard you need to work to get a particular study score without you having done a 3/4 before, but assuming you are in the top half of a decent cohort you should be okay.

Have a look at the atar calculator, and try putting different scores in here

Edit: Forgot to say, I have worked 10ish hours a week all through VCE, I ended up doing around 15 -20 hours the couple of weeks before my bio exam because everyone else took leave, the only day i took off for exams was the night before my bio exam
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:56:11 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

kamie22

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:51:36 pm »
Hi, I think that your ATAR goal it is definitely achievable!
You are pretty much in the same circumstance as me, 5 subjects with 1 scaled up, (i'm doing english methods psych p.e and legal, no 3/4 subject) 10 hours a week for part time work and no hours around exam time.
I'm aiming for a 90+ atar but am happy with anything above 80+.
There are two ways to do really well at the VCE; work really hard in your subjects or scaling from harder subjects.
Do what I'm aiming for which is to work hard in those subjects, and the results will take care of themselves. If you've done well in Year 11 then there's no reason why you shouldn't do well in Year 12 also!
All the best of luck!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:41 pm »
Hey Hhamish27! Welcome to the forums!

I actually have experience in 2 of your subjects and I tutored + worked a separate part time job in two of my three years of uni thus far, so hopefully I can be of some assistance! (If you want to know what subjects I did, see my signature. My LOTE language was Japanese SL + I also now hold a minor in Japanese studies at undergrad level.)

I had a classmate who worked, did some of those subjects and still achieved amazing results in the end. It is totally possible to be aiming for this, but of course, it ain't going to come easily! (We all wish it did.) It's best if get some proper elbow grease in there when it all begins and seeking help to make it up there!

Is there some area that you're looking towards studying in the future or working in as a preferred career pathway? Sometimes that helps others to give you more specific advice.

My advice for you
Regardless, with the 5 subjects you have listed, I can say that your main issue throughout the year is the amount of content you may have. While Further and Japanese may not be so problematic in this manner, Bus Man and Geography probably will. For these types of subjects (and depending on the type of person you are), you might prefer to review regularly and make a great set of notes to begin with, then delve deeper into memory and other revision techniques for further consolidation.

For Further, I would recommend that if you would like a full compilation of notes, then start your bound reference early. The main problem with Further is more so due to the competition at the top end and. if you're looking at doing well in Further, you will need to make accuracy a priority. This might include completing (and correcting) practise exams, understanding the content, asking the teacher for help and so forth. Check out the VCE Further Question thread for help, if you're stuck on a question. Bonus: I tend to pop tiny titbits of advice along the way and I answer a bunch of the questions, so hint hint. ;)

For Japanese, I would advise that you start with your worst aspect. Are you terrible at reading, writing, listening or speaking? Work on all four skills, but mostly in the one that you suck at worst. Not so good at listening? I used to watch the Japanese news and practise listening in my free periods at least once a week each. Jibba (who rules the VCE Japanese section) advises to watch Japanese dramas. Not so hot with speaking? Force yourself into Skype sessions or talk to that Japanese guy who takes the bus with you on your way home. Maybe even just converse to your friend who also does the subject in Japanese. There's so many ways that you can solve these 4 areas, but do whatever you're most comfortable with. Feel free to PM me if you have any more personal questions regarding Japanese SL.

As for English (even though I never did it, but it applies to all English subjects), the most obvious advice will help here - to get better at essays, it's best to, you know, actually write some essays and get them checked! We have a wonderful service for such on here and I'm sure you can make better use of it than I ever did/ will. Improvement can't happen if you don't at least start the process. After that, it's all about maintenance. So get the ball rolling and don't let it stop until after your English exam is done and dusted!
Hopefully that helps! Sorry that I don't know much about Geography and Bus Man, but I'm sure one of these lovely ANers will cover you in those subjects once they get the chance to!   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread