Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:24:54 am

Author Topic: Research Methods :(  (Read 792 times)  Share 

tashiabritto

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Research Methods :(
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:52 pm »
+1
I'm really confused right now im not sure whether when you write the DV of an experiment you write the what you are measuring or how you measure it, for example if the experiment is testing the affect of temperature on enzyme activity would the DV be 'the activity of the enzyme' or 'the height of the bubbles produced' (due to the activity of the enzyme) as would you write it as, 'the activity of the enzyme as measured by the height of bubbles produced'? Someone pls help

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Research Methods :(
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:24 pm »
+2
I'm really confused right now im not sure whether when you write the DV of an experiment you write the what you are measuring or how you measure it, for example if the experiment is testing the affect of temperature on enzyme activity would the DV be 'the activity of the enzyme' or 'the height of the bubbles produced' (due to the activity of the enzyme) as would you write it as, 'the activity of the enzyme as measured by the height of bubbles produced'? Someone pls help
Hey there and welcome to the forums! :)

I don't do biology (yet) so my answer is regarding the scientific method:

The DV is indeed what you are measuring so it would be enzyme activity.

How will you be measuring enzyme activity? Usually the DV includes some form of quantitative (numerical) measurement so if the height of the bubbles indicates the rate of enzyme activity, then that would be your DV.

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

tashiabritto

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:41:25 pm »
Thank you!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:23 am »
+2
You should be fine to use either option. I had a look at some past exam papers and where there's muliple options that could be considered correct they've included multiple possible answers (for example, for 2018 11c they've accepted level of CO2/time for colour change/colour of solution/pH)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra