Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 12:43:20 am

Author Topic: Beyond first-year and random math/stats questions/discussion  (Read 9262 times)  Share 

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
Re: Beyond first-year and random math/stats questions/discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »
+3
Here is a way which follows your original line of thought.

Assume that the metric space is infinite. Now consider the set of isolated points of , call it . There are two options, either is infinite or it is finite. Consider the case when is infinite. If then is an open set in . Now we can pick to be an infinite subset of such that is infinite. To see that is open, note that we can write
\begin{align*}
U = \cup_{x \in U} \{x\}
\end{align*}
and note that is an open set in for all . Since the union of an arbitrary collection of open sets is open, we know that must be open. Therefore, we have produced an open set in that is infinite and is infinite.

Now consider the case where is finite. Since all points are either limit points or isolated points of , then if the set of isolated points of is finite, the set of limit points of must be infinite since is infinite. Pick two limit points and different from each other and set . Consider the open ball . By the definition of a limit point, there must exist a sequence eventually contained in such that it converges to . Likewise, there also must exist a sequence eventually contained in such that it converges to . We know that open balls are open sets, so we can define the open set and we have just shown that is infinite. We also know that is infinite and by construction. Thus, is also infinite and we are done.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

swico

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 06:57:09 pm »
Thanks TT! Exactly what I was looking for, your construction for the finite case is really clever!

swico

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 03:28:32 pm »
Can we show that the supremum property and completeness axiom are equivalent or are they just defined to be the same?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »
What's your definition of the completeness axiom?
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

swico

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 03:10:53 pm »
What I mean is if you have two non empty sets in R, then pick two numbers one from each set, you can always find a real number between those two numbers.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 03:29:53 pm »
+1
What I mean is if you have two non empty sets in R, then pick two numbers one from each set, you can always find a real number between those two numbers.
That "axiom" holds regardless of whether or not we have two sets to begin with. Is this "real number between those two numbers" statement special in any way? For example given \(x_1 \in S_1\), \(x_2 \in S_2\), does the number \( x \in (x_1,x_2) \) have to be in \(S_1\) for example?

(assumed WLOG that \(x_1 \leq x_2 \) there)

swico

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »
Hmm ok, well the definition I was working with stated the axiom in terms of sets. Anyhow, assuming the axiom holds, how can we show equivalence between them two? (completeness vs supremum property). Or am I confusing myself in that they are axioms anyway and are hence defined to be equivalent??

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »
+4
Indeed, it may not seem obvious that the supremum property and the completeness axiom (as you've defined it) are equivalent and certainly you are correct in thinking such an equivalence should be proven.

Proof:

"\(\implies\)" Assume the completeness axiom holds. Let \(X\) be an non empty set in \(\mathbb{R}\) which is bounded above and let \(U\) be the set of all upper bounds of \(X\). Clearly, \(U\) is nonempty (since \(X\) is bounded above). Now pick \(x \in X\), \(u \in U\) with \(x\) weakly smaller than \(u\), so \(x \le u\) for all \(x \in X\), \(u \in U\). By the completeness axiom, there must exist some \(\alpha\) such that it lies weakly between \(x\) and \(u\). So \(\alpha\) must be the least upper bound for \(X\) (why?) and so \(\alpha = \sup X \in \mathbb{R}\). The bounded below case is symmetric. So the supremum property holds.

"\(\impliedby\)" Now assume the supremum property. Let \(L\) and \(H\) be distinct nonempty sets in \(\mathbb{R}\) with \(l \le h\) for all \(l \in L\) and \(h \in H\). The supremum of \(L\) must exist and must be real (why?) and by definition, \(\alpha\) is an upper bound for \(L\) so the left side is done, i.e., \(l \le \alpha\) for all \(l \in L\). By the same argument, \(\alpha \le h\) for all \(h \in H\) and we are done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:19:45 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

swico

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 02:13:17 pm »
Ah ok, thanks TT, it makes sense now.

I have another question which I know roughly how to prove in R but I can't seem to visualize it in general metric spaces. Say I have a metric space (X, d), then some point (called it c) is a cluster point of a sequence contained in X if and only if there exists a subsequence which also converges to c. I am having trouble constructing this subsequence (I can do it for R but not generally...)

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »
+1
Hey guys thanks for setting this thread up.

Does anyone now how to do this question? It keeps tricking me as I know that x' = [x1 x2] so x is the transpose of that but keep getting stuck from there.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 04:51:39 pm »
+3
Hey guys thanks for setting this thread up.

Does anyone now how to do this question? It keeps tricking me as I know that x' = [x1 x2] so x is the transpose of that but keep getting stuck from there.

Typically, one works backwards to find an explicit choice of \(A\). Also note that here we assume \(x_2 \neq 0\). If \(x_2 = 0\), then picking \(A = I_2\), the 2x2 identity matrix is sufficient.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:58:41 pm by RuiAce »

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 04:57:22 pm »
Legend, thanks so much Rui, that makes sense now, couldn't find a choice of A which would work

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 09:31:15 pm »
Hey, this thread seems pretty inactive. But I'm here to revive it since I'm stupid and got stuck on some question, it's a probability one related to moment-generating functions.

Assume that X has a Poisson distribution with rate parameter λ. If
Y =sqrt(x), use moment generating functions to show that E[Y] ≈ sqrt(λ) − 1/[8sqrt(λ)] and Var[Y] ≈ 1/4

Just can't seem to find the moment-generating function let alone do the rest of the question, I might be stuck on a conceptual thing and textbooks aren't really helping atm, any help would be much appreciated. :)
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 12:17:31 am »
+2
Hey, this thread seems pretty inactive. But I'm here to revive it since I'm stupid and got stuck on some question, it's a probability one related to moment-generating functions.

Assume that X has a Poisson distribution with rate parameter λ. If
Y =sqrt(x), use moment generating functions to show that E[Y] ≈ sqrt(λ) − 1/[8sqrt(λ)] and Var[Y] ≈ 1/4

Just can't seem to find the moment-generating function let alone do the rest of the question, I might be stuck on a conceptual thing and textbooks aren't really helping atm, any help would be much appreciated. :)
The MGF almost certainly has no closed form, but where does this question come from? I can't actually see how the MGF would be a viable choice for these approximations either

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 01:48:12 am »
The MGF almost certainly has no closed form, but where does this question come from? I can't actually see how the MGF would be a viable choice for these approximations either

The question seems really weird and no one got the answer as of now lmao. It's a practice question from a prob and stats unit I'm doing now.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching