Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:14:49 am

Author Topic: Legal or Eco?  (Read 1177 times)  Share 

argent

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Legal or Eco?
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:47:13 pm »
Hey guys! I'm in Year 11 this year and I'm considering dropping Biology because I'm really not enjoying it. I've heard bio is really time consuming and I really don't see myself doing it next year, I'm actually more interested in doing a commerce/business studies subject now.

I was tossing up between Legal, Eco and Accounting but I saw the careers coordinator and she pretty much banned me from doing accounting haha. She basically said it would be way too hard to catch up over the holidays for unit 2, and there is a sac first week of term three so sadly I don't think accounting is an option for me any more :( and we aren't allowed to pick it up in year 12, it's one of those "HAVE to have done units 1/2 for units 3/4" subjects.

So I'm left with legal and eco. I spoke to my homeroom teacher who is a legal 1/2 and 3/4 teacher and she said it would be fine to pick it up at unit 2 because it's a completely new unit that isn't related to unit 1. Also it's on at the same time as my bio class so it would be easy to swap into. I did a legal elective in year 10 and enjoyed it, didn't put a great deal of effort into it and still got pretty good marks. I'm not sure if the whole memorization thing is really for me though. I am more a maths student than an english student which is why I'm dropping bio. Also, I'm still deciding if I want to do a bachelor of laws/bachelor of science at uni and maybe this will help me decide if I want to do that. I think that legal would be less applicable to real life than eco, if I didn't decide to study it at uni.

With eco, I've asked the eco teacher at school and she said it would be fine to swap into unit 2 as well. She also said three students in year 12 picked it up this year and they are doing fine, so that's reassuring I guess. However eco is on at the same time as my chem class which would mean I would have to change chem classes which would mean I would have to change maths classes and I'm not sure if I want to go through all that effort? I like my classes atm and don't really want to change anything around. With eco, I'm not entirely sure of what it consists of. Legal I have a much better idea about, eco seems appealing to me but I'm not SURE if I'd like it. It looks REALLY interesting, I'm not trying to say I think I would hate it, otherwise I wouldn't be considering it of course. But I'm just more unsure of it, because I haven't ever done anything economics related. I feel like eco would be more rewarding overall, even if I don't decide to study it in uni, because it applies to real life and you learn about how finance works etc. I've heard some people say it's an amazing subject, and some say it's very dry.

I'm not too stressed about workload, or scaling, or anything like that really. Maybe if someone could just let me know which subject requires more study/effort? I just want to do something I will like, and I will be more inclined to enjoy studying for rather than subjects like chem or methods haha. I've realised this has turned into an essay haha I'm sorry. Basically I just wanted some insight into what you guys think, I know in the end it's up to me but some more opinions from people who have done the subjects would help me greatly in reaching a decision. I also wanted to ask if it is advisable to pick these subjects up at 3/4. For eco I think I would just keep bio for the rest of the year and pick eco up next year, because it would be too hard to change my subjects around now. For legal I'd probably swap into unit 2, but I might keep bio and then decide to pick it up at 3/4 as well.

At the moment I'm leaning towards eco but I'm sure this will change about 500 times before I reach a final decision haha.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:52:24 pm by argent »

SammyBoy

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Legal or Eco?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:45 pm »
I did eco units 1&2 and found it really boring, however i went into the subject thinking it would be interesting and that I would enjoy it. If it sounds like something you'd enjoy then you should try it out for unit 2 and swap over to accounting, bio or legal if you don't like it.

M_BONG

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:23:20 pm »
I did both in VCE and I enjoyed both equally as much.

Legal and Economics are interesting if you care enough about what's being taught. Just do whichever is more appealing to you. In terms of difficulty, Economics is definitely a bit harder than Legal because it's more conceptually focused (to some extent, although there's still some rote-learning), whereas the way I see Legal is it's more rote-learning.

Just do whichever you think you will like more.

argent

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:51:20 am »
Thanks for your responses guys,
I've decided to stick out Bio for the rest of this year and go with Economics next year.
I think that's what I'm more interested in. :)