Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:31:39 am

Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 845 times)  Share 

juicethelemon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Quick Question
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
Hi guys,
Just wanted to know if VCAA doesn't mind writing "we" or "our" in our essays. Some people say its alright to say for example "Euripides perpetuates the notion to the audience that when we possess excessive emotion.." or should I drop it the pronouns altogether?
Thank you!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:25:39 pm »
Hi guys,
Just wanted to know if VCAA doesn't mind writing "we" or "our" in our essays. Some people say its alright to say for example "Euripides perpetuates the notion to the audience that when we possess excessive emotion.." or should I drop it the pronouns altogether?
Thank you!

I’d suggest that you stay clear of these phrases. While you may see these written in some university/scholarly pieces, I know that English examiners typically consider these to be colloquial. A nice alternative that I often employed was ‘one.’ Eg. Euripides cautions one to balance extreme emotions.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

juicethelemon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:25:50 pm »
I’d suggest that you stay clear of these phrases. While you may see these written in some university/scholarly pieces, I know that English examiners typically consider these to be colloquial. A nice alternative that I often employed was ‘one.’ Eg. Euripides cautions one to balance extreme emotions.

Thank you!
Another quick question (I swear im done after this ha)
But for texts that have information that are not part of the "plot" for example in Medea where there is an introduction or an afterward in Ransom, can we quote those stuff and use as evidence in our essays?