Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:41:54 am

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 78534 times)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2020, 03:08:16 pm »
+6
hi ashmi! it's good to see your journal pop up again!!
also i may or may not have turned on the notifs for this journal but that will remain a mystery
the way you've described NLMG seems super interesting, i might have to check it out even though i'm not studying it!

Spoiler
With vtac/uni stuff, I'm so certain that whatever you choose to do, you can do it. And hey, I think learning is a lifelong process. Whether you choose engineering or teaching at first, that doesn't mean you can't do the other at some point down the track. On another note, I'm so sorry to hear about your family, I really wish you guys the best through these tough ass times. It sucks, it couldn't suck any more than it does, but even if it feels like rock bottom, things can only go up from here, right? Reaching out is so important and I really am proud of you for making that decision, I know it probably wasn't too easy. My pm's on AN and insta are always open for a chat <3

good luck for your chem and physics sacs, do your best and it'll be over and done with before you know it  !!! (:
looking forward to ur next update !!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:10:05 pm by blueycan »

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »
+6
Hi ashmi  ;D
You have no idea how fast I clicked when I saw your update ahahah
Reading your passion for teaching was so inspiring!

Spoiler
I'm really really sorry to hear this about your family. AN is here for you and feel free to pm me if you ever want to chat

All the best for your sacs coming up! I have faith in you!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2020, 05:52:52 pm »
+9
Hey Ash! Sooo loving your updates! <3 <3

Just regarding VTAC, I'm not sure if you know this but UniMelb's graduate degree packages are really flexible and getting an offer into say, B Science / M Engineering doesn't immediately lock you into that pathway. Your 3-year BSci would still be the same as someone in the standard BSci course, and at the end you'll have the option to continue into Master of Engineering, or another postgrad degree, or honours, or straight up graduate and go into the workforce. The 2 courses are completely separate. So I would recommend still keeping Science/Engineering or Science/Teaching (or both) in your VTAC preferences, because it wouldn't impact your BSci at all and you still have the option to go into different pathways if you change your mind. Basically, you have nothing to lose from including either or both in your preferences, but you do get a nice guarantee and a peace of mind if you get in.

Idk if my explanation made sense hahah. ;D

And massive congrats on getting onto the interview committee of NYSF! Keep us updated!

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

aprimogenitor

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #243 on: October 05, 2020, 10:03:40 pm »
+7
When I first read NLMG I didn't have too much interest in it, however today I decided to watch the film. As soon as the end credits started rolling though, I juts sat there in silence, thinking and thinking.

I have never had so many piercing questions flooding my mind all at once.
"What does it truly mean to be human?"
"Where do I draw the line between what is morally right and wrong?"
"What is being 'humane'?"
"How far does one have to go to prove their have a soul?"

Very weird feelings and questions everywhere but either way, I'm excited to be writing some essays on this book!

This made me smile :)

I get happy whenever people start thinking about those things because I think they're more important than anything haha.

Nice journal, I'll bookmark and come back some other time to see if you updated. I hope COVID has not been too harsh on you, and I'm sorry for any pain it has caused you.

This is a beautiful community created around someone (you) posting journal updates.

Thanks, I got many smiles from the numerous updates I read.

Good luck and all the best, I can tell you're an amazing person (from your journal) :) I hope the people lucky enough to have you in their lives are aware of that :)

Also: Good luck on the GAT! I'm sure you'll smash it! hahaha seriously though :)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2020, 07:31:02 pm »
+15
✰Update: 6/10✰

Ashmi: *Starts posting on AN again*
AN:

Hello hello! If you have stumbled onto this page for the first time welcome and for those that have been following this journey welcome back to the next episode of this chaotic mess!
Sorry for the absence recently, I've just had to deal with some personal problems which has taken a lot of emotional tolls, but now I'm back in action! Huge shoutout to you guys because I love and appreciate you all so much💖.

Song of this journal update
FYI, Half of it is in English, half isn't.
Before I begin, the replies to the previous journal update:

Blueycan❤️
hi ashmi! it's good to see your journal pop up again!!
also i may or may not have turned on the notifs for this journal but that will remain a mystery
the way you've described NLMG seems super interesting, i might have to check it out even though i'm not studying it!

Spoiler
With vtac/uni stuff, I'm so certain that whatever you choose to do, you can do it. And hey, I think learning is a lifelong process. Whether you choose engineering or teaching at first, that doesn't mean you can't do the other at some point down the track. On another note, I'm so sorry to hear about your family, I really wish you guys the best through these tough ass times. It sucks, it couldn't suck any more than it does, but even if it feels like rock bottom, things can only go up from here, right? Reaching out is so important and I really am proud of you for making that decision, I know it probably wasn't too easy. My pm's on AN and insta are always open for a chat <3

good luck for your chem and physics sacs, do your best and it'll be over and done with before you know it  !!! (:
looking forward to ur next update !!!!

Hey hey Jeyda!!

Wait.... There is a way to turn on notifs??? I need this for all the other journals on AN [including yours] cause I'm always missing out on new posts from others. Defs read NLMG sometime too!

Thank you so much for your kind words sis.🥺 I'm honoured to have someone like you around and you always make my day.
Thank you for stopping by to this mess and I really appreciate it!
Potato🥔
Hi ashmi  ;D
You have no idea how fast I clicked when I saw your update ahahah
Reading your passion for teaching was so inspiring!

Spoiler
I'm really really sorry to hear this about your family. AN is here for you and feel free to pm me if you ever want to chat

All the best for your sacs coming up! I have faith in you!
Hey Potato!
Awww bro you don't even know how much that means to me.🥺 Random people clicking onto this journal let alone writing a comment really does mean so much. Thank you for all the support and love by the way too~
Good luck with everything you have coming up Potato!
Colline🦄🐍
Hey Ash! Sooo loving your updates! <3 <3

Just regarding VTAC, I'm not sure if you know this but UniMelb's graduate degree packages are really flexible and getting an offer into say, B Science / M Engineering doesn't immediately lock you into that pathway. Your 3-year BSci would still be the same as someone in the standard BSci course, and at the end you'll have the option to continue into Master of Engineering, or another postgrad degree, or honours, or straight up graduate and go into the workforce. The 2 courses are completely separate. So I would recommend still keeping Science/Engineering or Science/Teaching (or both) in your VTAC preferences, because it wouldn't impact your BSci at all and you still have the option to go into different pathways if you change your mind. Basically, you have nothing to lose from including either or both in your preferences, but you do get a nice guarantee and a peace of mind if you get in.

Idk if my explanation made sense hahah. ;D

And massive congrats on getting onto the interview committee of NYSF! Keep us updated!
Hey Colline!

Thank you so much for the advice! I did decide to change it thanks to you and thank you so much for clarifying things. ;D
Also, I am honoured that you are reading my journal. 🥺 It is a mess sweetie, but I'm so glad that you enjoy reading it!
I can't wait to hear more about your vet journey too by the way!!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope to hear from you again sometime💖💖
aprimogenitor📚💙

This made me smile :)

I get happy whenever people start thinking about those things because I think they're more important than anything haha.

Nice journal, I'll bookmark and come back some other time to see if you updated. I hope COVID has not been too harsh on you, and I'm sorry for any pain it has caused you.

This is a beautiful community created around someone (you) posting journal updates.

Thanks, I got many smiles from the numerous updates I read.

Good luck and all the best, I can tell you're an amazing person (from your journal) :) I hope the people lucky enough to have you in their lives are aware of that :)

Also: Good luck on the GAT! I'm sure you'll smash it! hahaha seriously though :)
Hey aprimogenitor!  ;D

First of all, welcome to AN!! 8)

Second, I don't even know where to begin with writing a reply to this🥺. I am so touched by your words I'm literally on the verge of tears, but smiling simultaneously. I'm not kidding here, this has seriously touched my heart. This is so sweet to hear and has made my day. [Side note: Feel free to PM about anything! If you wanna chat or talk about certain subjects I'm always free ;D. This goes to everyone on AN too]. I don't know how much you have read when you say "numerous updates :o", but I hope you enjoy reading this chaotic journey.

Thank you so much for your kind words and good luck on the GAT too!! I'll do a journal update now thanks to this :D.
Ok, now onto the journal update you have been waiting for. It is pretty big today so I have to use a lot of spoilers

✰NYSF✰
So umm you may or may have not known that I was part of the Interview Committee this year for selecting candidates for NYSF 2021. Now this was such an interesting experience, especially since it was my first time doing something like this.

Well, since the interview offers have been sent out , I can now talk about it! [and also lovely to see your faces in the main common room if I didn't interview you personally]

So me and my awesome Rotarian were probably the interview pair you didn't want to have this weekend. If there is one thing I wanted to say, I have never rejected so many people in my life...

You would be based of a numerical score and then an option to say Yes/No to send, and if you said No, that person was instantly disqualified. Let's just say my interview pair had a lot of "No". For someone that doesn't say 'no' often, it was one hell of an experience!!! I've learnt a lot of things from interviewing people and the Rotarians during this process. Each Rotarian and past NYSFer all had their own stories and I'm not too sure how to describe it, but they sort of "opened my mind" to another world I didn't even know of. If there is one thing I love the most, it is connecting and learning from others. 10/10 experience even if it was online. As soon as restrictions die down and things slowly go back to 'normal', you bet I'm going to be non-stop volunteering at my Rotary club again.

Also, CONGRATS TO THOSE THAT GOT IN!
I'm so proud of you all and you did a superb job in the interviews. Your applications were interesting to read and each person had their own story.
✰PDT Work-In-Progress and final photos✰

Note: This costume is made for my friend and not me. Anyway I'm glad I got to hand everything in and this is what it looks like up on display!
✰The "thoughts" update✰

I think my soul has already left my body, especially after the terrifying English trial exam I had the other day. I have never felt my hand become so numb before...

While my soul is on what I think is a "vacation" [and I don't think she is coming back to my body anytime soon], I'm over here feeling pretty dead inside.

So Ashmi, how is life?

Interesting bro. Weird things have happened across this month, lots of downs and some ups here and there to try and balance things out.

Honestly, everything just feels blurry yet so sharp. Have I gone insane? I don't know. I really don't know. Sometimes, I look in the mirror and can't tell if that's me or not in the reflection. It is like there is a mask on my face and it is breaking, but I can't tell if it is because the mask itself is fragile or my hand is crushing it with brute force.

Hollowness. Yeah that sounds right. Just a well painted shell, a well crafted persona and a well structured object. Ok, maybe my inner PDT is seeping out of me and is trying to convince my head that I'm an object to analyse for the end of year exam. [I'm running out of objects to analyse for the exam. I have even resorted to my English novels for inspiration. Help.] Speaking of PDT, there is a lot to talk about actually.

I don't even know where to start with this explanation. PDT is one of those subjects where every marks counts sadly [aka Further 2.0 but design version]. PDT and Further are way too similar, both in the time allocations and the pressure to not lose marks.

I won't lie, I am scared.

I'm scared that my folio and everything I've made will become invalid if I stuff up the exam.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision to move to the school I am at now just for PDT. But I need to remind myself that everything happens for a reason, and that I need to convince myself that I have made the right decision.

PDT is just a double edged sword.
Will you decide to hurt or help me first? That is the real question.

Pressure. There is so much of it, I can't breathe sometimes.

It's like being trapped in darkness.
It's so quiet.
Words don't even come out of my mouth at this point. I just keep walking ahead because there is nothing else I could do. It's like observing a world with no sound.

It's comforting being isolated without light, but when you reach out your hand, you don't even know if you are going to touch something or not. I don't know how far I'm meant to reach out. Am I going in circles? Or am I just trying to grasp onto the emptiness that I'm destined for?

Everything is a massive paradox.

I remind myself to keep reaching out. I need to reach further into the darkness than I was before. Maybe I can never reach it, but if I don't try, I won't get anywhere. I need to remember that I have a goal and that I need to keep moving forward. Remember. I need to remember that I'm getting closer as I move in time.

Get up, get up, get up

Don't stop, don't stop, don't stop

Keep going, keep going, keep going

I better end this train of thought before I start writing a full novel. I'll end it with this:

"Painting that rainbow with black ink, I will fly"

Ok moving on to the long awaited subjects:

✰PDT✰
See above. Just handed in my folio 3 hours ago and I am DEAD inside. One year of hard work accumulated into a weird looking product and a big fat folio. My hands were literally shaking when I handed it in. I am very relieved that it is over and now I can focus on the exam.

Please check on your folio buddies because art/tech subjects during a pandemic is NOT a good idea.

Moving onto exam prep, I only have 3 proper exams for PDT which are in the study design. I'm struggling to figure out how I'm going to space these 3 exams haha. I'm doing my first trial for PDT this week so that leaves me with only 2 exams left to hopefully sustain me till November...

This is definitely the hardest subject to study for. Right now it is either going to be a hit or a miss.

✰Physics ✰
Oh hey handsome

No complaints with you so far. Oh wait there is a complaint....

UNIT 4 SUCKS

I HATE this wave/particle stuff. It's so boring... [why Physics whyyyy]
Harmonics can also jump into the ocean and get eaten by sharks for all I care about.

Man I was in love with you till Unit 4 appeared. Unit 4 needs to learn from Unit 3 Physics which had so much FLAVOUR and is SPICY.

Other than that major flaw, you are still handsome to me Physics ;)

Did a trial the other day and did pretty well for my first timed exam [I think it was mainly luck though]. I lost about 7 marks in total but I'm hoping to shrink that down to 0 as time goes on. I'm not going to lie, but I was a bit upset first with the score [stop inner competitive Further get your butt out of Physics please. This is not your subject and I don't want you here] but then I realised that it is the first exam and there is definitely time for improvement! So after that little scenario your girl here is back in action. She is READY to be smashing some papers ~with style~. *fist bumps the air*

[FYI, I haven't checked the grade distribution for any of my subjects except PDT cause the last thing I want to be doing is comparing myself...]

My cheat sheet is almost foolproof and all that's left to do is train my hand to be fast enough to keep up with my thoughts. I might do some more conceptual readings on Unit 4 and start doing some writing exercises to 'train' me to write faster.

OH AND OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE PHYSIC TRIAL EXAMS COMING UP!!! Apparently my teacher is gonna use exams that he did back in high school on us for one of the trials and YOU KNOW HOW PUMPED I AM TO SEE THEM????
I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am to try some nice spicy physics questions that are not just boring repeats of VCAA.

If you have followed this journal for long enough, you would know that last year I hated Physics with a burning passion. Physics was actually my worst subject by a long shot last year and I don't know what has happened this year, but now it's one of the best and my fav subjects? It's funny what a bit of time can do.

Ok on a serious note, I need to get my butt together for the exam before my Unit 4 SACs drag me down more than they already are.

✰English ✰
Had a trial exam the other day and my hand is dead. Numb. Painful. RIP Muji pens.

My biggest problem is overwriting and I really need to get a grip of that before it goes out of control. I think after this journal update I'll make some very thorough plans for all the prompts I have and then go to writing in timed conditions. I would like to also bring some more new complex ideas to the table so I'll probably do some more academic readings.

Oh yeah I probably should add that yesterday I got my results back from the trial exam [they were externally marked by VCAA examiners OH NO] and I thought I did badly but I ended up doing extremely well? I have been struggling with this subject all year and when I saw those scores, I nearly fainted on the spot. I am so happy and this has given me more motivation to write more essays!

Also, if anyone does Stasiland/Never Let Me Go as their comparative, you seriously need to read the academic readings, especially for NLMG. The Stasiland readings are great [same with Rear Window] but the NLMG ones are on ANOTHER LEVEL. I was literally reading one this morning about "What does it mean to be human?" and oh my lord, that was probably the best thing I've read all year.

The idea of how Ishiguro [the author] explores the power of restraint in people is amazing and the way he weaves in deeply seated trauma between the bland lines of the narration is out of this world. I just love the fact he can create a voice that is on the edge of being human. These academic readings are giving me more new questions:

What is the limits of humanity?
What do we consider to be dehumanizing treatments?
What is a "humane" upbringing?
Do clones "have souls at all"?

Maybe the whole idea of the book is not to determine if the main character is a human or not. Maybe instead we need abandon our prior perception of what it is to be human.

It is quite baffling how a clone who narrates this whole story with the most bland and casual voice can say some of the most disturbing things. To top this all off, none of the clones want to escape. Rather, Ishiguro creates a world where all signs of rebellion is erased. That to me, is the most fascinating thing of his piece. The way power and control is maintained is through the absence of external enforcement mechanisms. I have never heard of anything like that till now. I want to look into it a little deeper.

I have gone on a NLMG tangent again..... Ah well that was fun to write out. I might do it again sometime as that sort of helped me put my ideas together into a paragraph. [Ashmi English Journal Updates??? TBC]

I am definitely without a doubt going to write an essay on that topic somewhere during this exam revision period.

I have always disliked English, but reading some random thesis on NLMG is WORTH IT. There were so many great ideas that no one I know has mentioned so far and I'm hoping to incorporate some of them into my essay.
If I had to describe it, it's like eating Korean BBQ, delicious and flavoursome.

✰Methods/Chem✰
Nothing to see here.

MM exam 2 is beautiful but MM exam 1 just like harmonics in Physics, needs to jump into the ocean and get eaten by sharks. As soon as someone takes my CAS away from me OH BOI, my confidence level drops to UNDEFINED. I haven't really touched my bound reference at all now that I think about it. In fact, as I'm writing this, I kinda forgot it existed....

Chem has definitely not been a good friend. She is very boring [COUGH Food Chem COUGH]. The only fun thing in the whole Chem course for me is Redox... I wish I could chuck Unit 4 Chem into a massive hole, bury it and never look at it again.

Ok that is it for today's update! Stay tuned for more in the future [will be much more frequent from now on] and thank you for being such a wholesome and supportive community💙

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2020, 08:05:03 pm »
+7
Heyyyoooooo Ash!!! You don't even want to know how excited I got for this update!!!

First of all: CONGRATS ON HANDING THAT FOLIOOOO IN!!!!!! Your final piece looks so so cool and awesome, I'm so proud of you for getting it done!! Yay no more folio!!

This is definitely the hardest subject to study for. Right now it is either going to be a hit or a miss.
I seriously agree with this one. Really wish my folio subject was like maths so I could spam practise questions and feel prepared. I hate that exams are used to moderate our folios - like seriously. They are two completely different things! I'm positive you'll do fine though!! Have you checked out some company exams for PDT? I'm pretty sure most have updated to the 2020 study design :)

UNIT 4 SUCKS
OMG. I pretty much said this in my last journal post. Especially AOS1. It was horrible. I seriously hate everything about waves!! WHy did unit 4 have to exist.

OH AND OMG I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE PHYSIC TRIAL EXAMS COMING UP!!! Apparently my teacher is gonna use exams that he did back in high school on us for one of the trials and YOU KNOW HOW PUMPED I AM TO SEE THEM????
I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am to try some nice spicy physics questions that are not just boring repeats of VCAA.
You passion for physics will forever inspire me.

Congrats for doing so well on English trials! I am so confident you are going to smash that exam. And with methods and chemi, I'm sure everything will fall into place eventually. (and ah ha I'm the opposite. I hated redox so so much, Unit 4 was literally a dreammmm)

Loved reading this update Ash - hope you have an awesome week!

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2020, 08:06:43 pm »
+7
Hey Ashmi!

First, don't worry about not posting updates, I can relate. I love your updates so much I knew I was going to reply (I've been meaning to reply to more journals but I just can't keep up!) 🥰🥺

Good job on the NYSF Interviews! I cannot imagine having to reject people and I am so happy that you had a great experience  ;D I am still a little bit salty that I didn't see you on the zoom but that's ok 😂😂

Your PDT product looks incredible! It seems so intricate and detailed and I cannot IMAGINE ever being that creative. I am so proud of you for doing this especially during a global pandemic!!!

You seem to be smashing all of your subjects and I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the year and exams ;) :) 8)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2020, 08:32:52 pm »
+6
See above. Just handed in my folio 3 hours ago and I am DEAD inside. One year of hard work accumulated into a weird looking product and a big fat folio. My hands were literally shaking when I handed it in. I am very relieved that it is over and now I can focus on the exam.
You are INCREDIBLE! I'm so proud you did it! I can't imagine the stress of trying to complete a folio during confinement without easy teacher guidance or materials but yours is incredible regardless! A massive massive congratulations Ash  ;D ;D and pleASE send me a picture of your final, I'd love to see it
Did a trial the other day and did pretty well for my first timed exam [I think it was mainly luck though]. I lost about 7 marks in total but I'm hoping to shrink that down to 0 as time goes on. I'm not going to lie, but I was a bit upset first with the score [stop inner competitive Further get your butt out of Physics please. This is not your subject and I don't want you here] but then I realised that it is the first exam and there is definitely time for improvement! So after that little scenario your girl here is back in action. She is READY to be smashing some papers ~with style~. *fist bumps the air*
Only losing 7 marks on your first exam! That's amazing (and I'm actually in awe). Whilst I'm not entirely sure, I don't think the marking is as strict as further, so losing a few marks can still yield VERY high scores  8)
Oh yeah I probably should add that yesterday I got my results back from the trial exam [they were externally marked by VCAA examiners OH NO] and I thought I did badly but I ended up doing extremely well? I have been struggling with this subject all year and when I saw those scores, I nearly fainted on the spot. I am so happy and this has given me more motivation to write more essays!
This is awesome and proves you are going to do so well in english (almost there!) Your texts sound really interesting as well. Guessing your favourite section is the comparative?

mmm
Chem has definitely not been a good friend. She is very boring [COUGH Food Chem COUGH]. The only fun thing in the whole Chem course for me is Redox... I wish I could chuck Unit 4 Chem into a massive hole, bury it and never look at it again.
Well, um, this is a little offensive... Unit 4 chem is the ORGANIC stuff and I'm frankly quite uninspired by your prejudice towards it... ???
You are doing so well with ALL your subjects Ash so don't underestimate yourself and keep working hard over the next few months! A special good luck for PDT because I know how much this subject means to you and how much effort you've put into it over the last year  ;D Have an awesome week

2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2020, 09:24:55 pm »
+6
me rn:

I've already congratulated you bUT I'LL DO IT AGAIN! It looks so amazing and I'm so proud of you for getting it done! Ah, it's actually so inspiring to see your finished product after all that gruelling work. I can't imagine how relieved you feel to have the weight of such a big project lifted off your chest!
Good luck for the GAT and the rest of your trial exams, especially physics! You've smashed it all year, and you'll do amazing I just know it. Keep working hard Ashmi! Only a few months left and then you're free  :P Looking forward to your future updates <3

Please check on your folio buddies because art/tech subjects during a pandemic is NOT a good idea.
*looks at subject selection list. sees vcd. has flashbacks to ashmi's echoing words...*

also ive just had to learn how to put in a gif and ive aged 9 years

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2020, 10:14:34 pm »
+7
Replies are in spoilers cause there is a lot to say!

ArtyDreams🎨

HEYYYOOOO ARTY!!🥰

Thank you so much bro! I'm so glad the folio is in and that I never have to see it again.

Honestly I don't know how you are coping with Art, but man folio subjects are just so hard to study for. There are barely any questions to go around! I kind of wished they had some other mechanism in place other than moderating the folios by the exam. [Maybe an interview or something?].

Sadly, there is only 1 company exam I can do....😢. [3 VCAA + 1 company exam]. It is sort of sad I must say.

Arty, I think spiritually we are twins because man whoever invented Unit 4, I'm sorry but I felt like I walked through a storm and back. Waves is the bane of my existence at this point. *High fives Arty*

Man I don't understand why everyone likes Unit 4 Chem😢. [Literally the only people that hate it are me and this one friend...] Did I miss out on something cool?😰. What did you like about Unit 4 Arty???

Thanks Arty for reading this mess and you too have a wonderful week!
Eloisegrace🌷

Hey El!🥰

I can absolutely agree that it is so hard to keep up with journal updates sometimes. There are so many good ones popping off at the same time you start to drown in all these amazing posts.😂

Oh this is sad you couldn't see me🤣. Don't worry there will be another opportunity next time!

Thank you so much for your kind words on the PDT product🥺. It is kinda funny thinking about the fact this whole thing was made during a pandemic! I wonder sometimes how I even started making it in all honesty. [I don't even know how I managed to get the fabric, especially after that panic buying!]

Thank you El and good luck for your exams too! I believe in you sis!
Choco🍫

HIIIIII CHOCO!!!🥰

Awwww Choco that means a lot to me🥺. Doing a folio subject under these conditions are definitely not an easy task at all. [Make sure to constantly check on your folio friends and give them encouragement too!]. The one thing I forgot to do was to take pics of my folio😅. Will do that when school is back in action though!

That gives me a lot of reassurance with the Physics exam Choco! I'm a little but unsure how science subjects work in terms of marks [and I'm really scared to look at the grade distribution😖] but I trust your words😄. Thank you Choco this makes me feel a lot better!

I would say for the English exams my fav would be the comparative just because of the book, but I must say, I really love the film we did for text response because we can talk a lot about the visuals [I really struggle to with things that are not in a visual/maths format].
Re: mmm
First of all I'm sorry if you found it offensive. 😭 I didn't mean it in a bad way.😖🥺

The main reason I find Unit 4 to be bland is the fact it is not really hands on. It is sort of hard to explain, but in Unit 3, most of the concepts were things you could do experiments on [fuels, redox, electrolysis etc] and I think the word I'm looking for here is "physical"?

I also find it a little bit sad that you can't always go right down to the very bottom of something. It is not like maths where I can fall back on first principles [which is why I like unit 3 because this happens], but for Unit 4, there is a lot of memorisation and we don't really know why for some of the things? For example, the catalysts used in organic Chem pathways. I would really love to know why it is that specific catalyst and sort of work backwards. I don't know if that made any sense😢. Food Chem is also the same problem, but a lot worse than Organics... I dislike food chem mainly because of the lack of hands-on stuff? It's kind of embarrassing to say, but I really struggle to engage with anything if it is not in the form of visuals/maths and food chem just so happens to be that.... There are some good visuals here and there though but everything else doesn't particularly interest me.

I think the only exception to this is the one experiment on making esters which was really fun! [and then it came to the problem of why I'm using concentrated H2SO4...].

I've heard a lot of Unit 4 Chem is similar to stuff you learn in Bio? Is that true? If that is, please don't murder me Choco😱.

I don't know, maybe my brain isn't wired in the right way to appreciate this type of stuff. Out of everyone I know, only me and my close friend [the French girl you know] seem to severely dislike it. I do agree with you, I am definitely uninspired by this topic and I'm hoping there might be a prac or something hands-on I could try in a hope to 'rekindle' the love for Unit 4 Chem.😓
Thank you so much Choco for the reply and the encouraging messages! I really do appreciate it and good luck to you too! Have a beautiful week🥰.
Blueycan🌠

HEYYY JEYDAAAA🥰.

OMG what a way to start a reply!🤣. I literally burst out laughing when I saw that. I am SO proud to see you evolve to using gifs! [My bro, you have evolved so much that now you are nearly an adult HAHAHA]

Girlllllll, it feels SOOOO GOOD knowing that a whole years worth of work is gone!

Don't worry, VCD is a good choice. Be prepared to get wrecked but not wrecked simultaneously. So long as you are organised [and have the supplies] you will be fineeeee!💯💯💯

Thank you Jeyda for stopping by to this mess! [And even better thanks for telling me there is such thing as post notifications]. Good luck on the GAT too and have a great week!!

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #250 on: October 07, 2020, 06:38:35 am »
+6
First of all I'm sorry if you found it offensive. 😭 I didn't mean it in a bad way.😖🥺
The main reason I find Unit 4 to be bland is the fact it is not really hands on. It is sort of hard to explain, but in Unit 3, most of the concepts were things you could do experiments on [fuels, redox, electrolysis etc] and I think the word I'm looking for here is "physical"?
I also find it a little bit sad that you can't always go right down to the very bottom of something. It is not like maths where I can fall back on first principles [which is why I like unit 3 because this happens], but for Unit 4, there is a lot of memorisation and we don't really know why for some of the things? For example, the catalysts used in organic Chem pathways. I would really love to know why it is that specific catalyst and sort of work backwards. I don't know if that made any sense😢. Food Chem is also the same problem, but a lot worse than Organics... I dislike food chem mainly because of the lack of hands-on stuff? It's kind of embarrassing to say, but I really struggle to engage with anything if it is not in the form of visuals/maths and food chem just so happens to be that.... There are some good visuals here and there though but everything else doesn't particularly interest me.
I've heard a lot of Unit 4 Chem is similar to stuff you learn in Bio? Is that true? If that is, please don't murder me Choco😱.
I don't know, maybe my brain isn't wired in the right way to appreciate this type of stuff. Out of everyone I know, only me and my close friend [the French girl you know] seem to severely dislike it. I do agree with you, I am definitely uninspired by this topic and I'm hoping there might be a prac or something hands-on I could try in a hope to 'rekindle' the love for Unit 4 Chem.
Gosh I was totally joking (and everyone likes different things which is why AN is so cool) - also I feel like your brain is more wired towards the mathematics of chemistry? but yeah the organic chem stuff is more similar to bio. I kind of understand where you're going though, I mean sometimes the lack of depth in VCE or the fact that they only skim the surface of certain topics can be annoying (although I had the same problem with electrolysis, which you probably didn't have because of your physics background - I was so confused between the difference between voltage and current and my teacher just could not explain it at all.)

Anyway sorry for that mini rant and thanks again for the update, keep being the best  8)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2020, 07:43:09 am »
+6
Hey,

The reason you're using concentrated H2SO4 is Le Chatlier's principle! It's a reversible reaction & dilute H2SO4 would mean adding more water...

Usually people hate mechanisms (the actual step by step of how reactions work) but I learnt a bit of that in VCE and I found it helped me feel like I was actually understanding a process rather than just memorising.

Also: spectroscopy is the best topic in chem imo so u4 gets major points for that

With physics:
- you should be able to do standing wave formation in strings practically
- the formulas don't come from nowhere - you should be able to learn/be taught why the path diff eqs are as they are and same for De Broglie model of the atom. Not sure if that helps?

Congrats on your folio!

It's pretty normal to be feeling a lot of pressure at this time of year but I hope the heaviness of it eases up soon :)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2020, 07:47:24 am »
+7
Yay, an Ashmi update!! So sorry about the late response, I spent the entire day spazzing about the GAT today ahaha

Good luck with everything you have coming up Potato!
Thank you!! Good luck with your upcoming exams (though you don't need it  8) )
Just handed in my folio 3 hours ago and I am DEAD inside
WHAT A ROCKSTAR, amazing job!! I can't even imagine how terrifying or stressful it would be! Don't worry though, your products are AMAZING and I'm sure the examiners will be in awe  ;D

I lost about 7 marks in total but I'm hoping to shrink that down to 0 as time goes on.
That's not 'pretty well,' that's extraordinary, Losing 7 marks in your first exam is outstanding and shows how much passion you've had for this subject this year. I also hated Bio before Year 10 all my life hahaha, sometimes it's our least favourite subject which becomes our favourite!

[they were externally marked by VCAA examiners OH NO] and I thought I did badly but I ended up doing extremely well?
Wowowowow! I don't have anything to say, Im legit so amazed (I have very bad vocab lol). This is sooooooo amazing. Waiting for that 50 in English dude...

You are literally rocking all of your subjects which most people find difficulty with and you've shown extra resilience doing a art/tech subject in a pandemic. All the best for all of your subjects, and especially for PDT and Physics, you're gonna ace it! Have an amazing week  ;)

2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2020, 05:00:23 pm »
+6
Hey ash! I literally missed you so much!!

Awesome job on your folio, I know how hard you've worked all through the year and I hope the examiners can see it :) By the way it looks incredible!!!!

Also incredible (sorry my lack of vocab is really showing through) job with the interviews... your role sounds v important so good job. Awesome work with all your subjects so far, you're showing incredible results and we're super proud!! I love how in-depth you go in English ahha I could never. Hope your trial exams go well, and best of luck for the term ahead :)
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2020, 06:12:47 pm »
+6
Hey ashmi! Been a bit busy so I'm late to the party, unfortunately. :(

Firstly, a massive congrats on finally finishing and submitting that mammoth of a folio. It's no easy feat, especially in the mess of a situation we're in right now, so I'm very very proud! The photos you've attached are astounding and I can see the hard work you've put into it.

I'm going to have to terminate our friendship right here. You don't like unit 4 chem!?!?!?! My goodness, it's the only bearable part of chem! If it weren't for unit 4 I don't even think I'd have picked up this subject. I cannot, for the life of me, understand unit 3, and it's so so confusing, and I still have all of unit 3 to relearn before exams. :( In all honesty, I'm so envious of your love of unit 3 because I just don't understand anything in it. :(

Congratulations with physics! I know by this point I'm just echoing what's already been said by the people above me, but you did so well on your exam and you should be mighty proud! ;D I know you'll do amazing in this subject, keep working hard! It's also great to see your love for English shine through the comparative.

Re. thoughts
I don't know what it's like to do PDT or further, but I do know how you feel. Take a deep breath ash, I know things will get better. It's hard to maintain a positive outlook on things right now, but you've been working so hard and I think you're being hard on yourself. It's totally valid to feel fearful and I hope things get better for you. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to, and ease some of that pressure. <3
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash