Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 12:33:46 pm

Author Topic: Is MHS worth going? 2019  (Read 8312 times)  Share 

platinues

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Is MHS worth going? 2019
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:22:21 am »
+6
Honestly, the reality of this school is that it is truely overrated. As a current student at this school and from talking to my peers, many people believed that this school was some fantasy where there would be exceptional teachers and that they did something magical to lead to their high achievements. But the reality is that there is nothing like this. Coming from a private school, I would have been better off staying there as it offered great facilities and excellent teachers. Many teachers at Melbourne High School honestly do not care about their students, their job and the needs of the class. I had a few teachers who would tell you to just do the work, go do the assignment while they sat at their desk doing god knows what. This poor quality of teaching has been brought to the attention of the year level coordinators and even the principal, but this matter was just brushed off and no evident change to the quality of teachers was made. They honestly blamed the students and used their 'independent learning' belief as a mere excuse to bad teachers. They just told us to take initiative and teach ourselves, while defending their incompetent staff who don't give a damn about student wellbeing and their needs. Even when this was brought to the attention of the council many times professionally, nothing was done. Many of my peers say that they are better off staying at their private schools, which a majority come from, or even their old public schools. Such problems has also occurred at MacRob and seems to be a problem with both schools. Melbourne High School does not offer any accelerated subjects or VCE subjects in year 10 (apart from music I believe), even Nossal High School offers that and you can do two Unit 1+2 in year 10. They do this because they believe that 'boys mature later'. I personally believe that the school does not even address the needs of students and are too caught up in protecting their own staff and reputation. This is not a fantasy school where attending will magically get you a 99 ATAR, it's the students who do this not the teachers or in fact anything the school does.

Mod edit: split posts to make new topic as previous topic was several years old
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:21:36 pm by K888 »

Shxh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Re: Is MHS worth going?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:26:36 pm »
Honestly, the reality of this school is that it is truely overrated. As a current student at this school and from talking to my peers, many people believed that this school was some fantasy where there would be exceptional teachers and that they did something magical to lead to their high achievements. But the reality is that there is nothing like this. Coming from a private school, I would have been better off staying there as it offered great facilities and excellent teachers. Many teachers at Melbourne High School honestly do not care about their students, their job and the needs of the class. I had a few teachers who would tell you to just do the work, go do the assignment while they sat at their desk doing god knows what. This poor quality of teaching has been brought to the attention of the year level coordinators and even the principal, but this matter was just brushed off and no evident change to the quality of teachers was made. They honestly blamed the students and used their 'independent learning' belief as a mere excuse to bad teachers. They just told us to take initiative and teach ourselves, while defending their incompetent staff who don't give a damn about student wellbeing and their needs. Even when this was brought to the attention of the council many times professionally, nothing was done. Many of my peers say that they are better off staying at their private schools, which a majority come from, or even their old public schools. Such problems has also occurred at MacRob and seems to be a problem with both schools. Melbourne High School does not offer any accelerated subjects or VCE subjects in year 10 (apart from music I believe), even Nossal High School offers that and you can do two Unit 1+2 in year 10. They do this because they believe that 'boys mature later'. I personally believe that the school does not even address the needs of students and are too caught up in protecting their own staff and reputation. This is not a fantasy school where attending will magically get you a 99 ATAR, it's the students who do this not the teachers or in fact anything the school does.
After reading this I知 so scared since I知 going to MHS next year. I知 very ambitious and I work very hard. Will MHS decrease my chances of getting into medicine?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 06:12:47 pm »
+2
After reading this I知 so scared since I知 going to MHS next year. I知 very ambitious and I work very hard. Will MHS decrease my chances of getting into medicine?
I dont think the post you responded is about MHS being bad but it just being another school. Sure it is selective so it gets a lot of strong students but dont expect the school itself to proeuce your ATAR you will have to work just as any other student in the state. Its worth noting that a lot of students at MHS probably do get tutoring lessons for a lot of subjects so the appeal of MHS is definitely more about the students you are around everyday.

Again not saying MHS is a bad school but dont expect it to magically give you great scores.

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »
I can attest what has been said.
One of the main reasons I left was because of the teaching culture there. Yes, every school has not so great teachers, but the majority of them in MHS, in my opinion, had this mentality of teaching because they had to, not because they want to. This doesn't go for all of them though - I had a few teachers that genuinely cared and went above and beyond in their teaching.

Such problems has also occurred at MacRob and seems to be a problem with both schools.
Don't know too much about Mac.Rob, but there has been news relatively recently about the teaching quality there as well (I'm mentioning the infamous Mac.Rob protest in 2017, if you know, you know). There was also a speech made in 2016 in MHS from a student representative who criticised the principal and the teachers. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T46yfZtO__0 ) Watch this if you haven't already.

I've already mentioned this a few times, but in short, MHS has a phenomenal student culture, but besides that, from my short time there, I didn't really see anything special about it (except for the free gym, that was mint and I highly recommend you use it to alleviate your stress).

Not really. The people there are geniuses, so just form a study group with those who can facilitate you. Besides, most people in VCE at MHS ask for help from other students more than they do with teachers.

BTW, the reason why MHS has such a high median study score is because of the students there, not the facilities/teachers. this is a pretty big misconception a lot of people have
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:22:59 pm by zuijinde »

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
Re: Is MHS worth going? 2019
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 04:36:00 pm »
Today痴 the last day of offers anyone got one

Jeff2205

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:21 am »
Not me :(. Have you got one?

Hope 2019

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 02:09:19 pm »
So is it over? No more offers?😔

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
No I did not get anything but a girl I know got an offer for Mac rob on friday

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Is MHS worth going? 2019
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:22:47 pm »
+1
You surely have touched on a very interesting topic. Funny how my parents would say MHS being much better than macrob - you have a camp site, a cadet program, much richer and better sport offerings, and even the music programs seem better too!

I think I know exactly what you meant. Inspiring teachers are not easy to encounter, and I don't think macrob offers more of these rare species than other government schools. But there is always a however: I heard more than once a saying that private school students face more challenges entering uni, as their study styles in high schools were not independent enough. Being forced to manage your own study at macrob and MHS might have its own positives.  :D

It also seems the VCE teachers (Y11 and Y12) are overall better, though I have not got a chance to experience it.

My parents would talk about how a number of things at macrob are not as thoughtfully run as many other schools they know. I do not disagree. The newsletters are sparse and not informative, far from being least engaging and inspiring. The year book / magazine is leagues behind that of my previous school. the music programs don't feel sincere enough and the sports do not receive a fraction of the respects it deserves.

To me the best thing of the school is my cohort and my class friends. we like spending times together, we like doing assignments together. I feel confident about my Y11 and Y12.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:42:39 pm by blackcocoa »