Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:42:43 pm

Author Topic: MONASH: Transferring from single to double degree  (Read 12444 times)  Share 

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
Re: MONASH: Transferring from single to double degree
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:32 pm »
Yes, you can transfer from a double degree to a single one. It's still an internal course transfer, so you'll need to do all the assorted paperwork and maintain a strong average as you would with any transfer.
Alternatively I believe if you have been doing the double for some time you can apply for what I think is called an "alternative exit" whereby you graduate with only one of the degrees you have been undertaking, without officially transferring.

Obviously to do so you must meet the specifications for the single degree you are seeking to graduate with by itself. (e.g. for comm/sci you need 16 units of comm and 16 units of sci (assuming 6 credit points per unit), but for single sci or single comm you need 24 units, so you would need to complete an additional 8 for whichever you wish to graduate with)
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
Sounds about right! I'm not sure if every double degree combination allows for an alternative exit (e.g. the handbook entry for BBiomedSc/BEng doesn't have anything about alt exits, while BSc/BEng does).

OP, as always: If in doubt, contact the university!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Cloud.Nine

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »
OP, in my opinion I think it's definitely achievable to transfer to a Law double degree at the end of first year. Year 12 is very competitive and you have a lot of people interested in that course and its difficult to achieve the 98+. If you commence 2015 at Monash and work hard to try and get a good WAM, I think that your in good contention.

I also think an 80+ WAM is slightly more easily obtained than a 98 atar. Although this means being on top of Uni work from day 1. Start working on assignments well before the due date, organize a good balance between assignments/private study, know your lecture material back to front. You start the year with a potential 100 marks, you should have the mindset that your going to be keeping a lot of those marks. A friend of mine and myself, have managed to complete first year with a 80+ WAM, he is looking to transfer courses (similiar situation as yourself but a year ahead).
2014: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni, Clayton.
Developmental Biology

ecstasy

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »
Sorry to hijack this thread! I just have a question that borders on the topic at hand.

I received an ATAR of 89.25 which is pretty awesome considering the effort I put in, or lack thereof. I would have been over the moon with an 80, so as my user suggests I was pretty ecstatic! Anyway, getting to the point … The course I want to do is called a Bachelor of Global Studies, and I want to transfer from this single degree to a double degree after a semester or a year (not sure how this all works at all). The second degree I want to undertake is a bachelor of commerce and I'm unable to do this as I did not undertake any maths during VCE.

So, what should the process be for me? Do I just choose to do like MTH1010 as a unit elective, get the required marks and transfer after a certain period of time? Can you internal transfer after 6 months into double degree with commerce?

Cloud.Nine

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »
So, what should the process be for me? Do I just choose to do like MTH1010 as a unit elective, get the required marks and transfer after a certain period of time? Can you internal transfer after 6 months into double degree with commerce?
Yes, you can transfer to the Commerce double degree at the end of 6 months and yes you will require a minimum of a pass rate in MTH1010, fairly sure its treated as the equivalent of a 25 in VCE Methods. You may also require a minimum WAM of 70.
Source: In my semester 1 MTH1010 class, I was friends with 2 students from Arts who wanted the transfer, of which both successfully transferred mid-year.
Assuming entry requirements havn't changed, thats the path you could take.
2014: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni, Clayton.
Developmental Biology