Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:25:30 am

Author Topic: I dont understand what to do during the period between trials and the HSC  (Read 1219 times)

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
From what I've heard, the best HSC Mark goes to the rank 1 student in that course for the school. Going by that logic, is there no point to working your butt off during the period b/w trials and HSC, aiming to get a band 6 when you're rank is towards the lower end (especially with english), if that mark is going to go to the higher-ranked students?

(yes, i'm a glass half-empty kind of person)
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
I dont understand what to do during the period between trials and the HSC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:29:15 pm »
+1
No, you still keep your external mark, it accounts for half your total HSC mark. Your assessment mark, the remaining half, is based on rank. So, if you've performed mediocrely internally, then having a higher external mark will counteract a poor internal mark (rank based), if that makes sense. So, there is a point :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
Honestly same here, the trials kinda build you so much that the gap between hsc and trials will be interesting but definitely keep going!! There's always time to turn your year/mark around with the HSC. The best and possibly worst thing about the HSC is that it does make a big impact on your final mark. Like Lumenoria said the HSC can be the final redeemer with your mark. Don't give up, trials are just a stepping stone to the HSC, the only true failure is giving up.
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
No, you still keep your external mark, it accounts for half your total HSC mark. Your assessment mark, the remaining half, is based on rank. So, if you've performed mediocrely internally, then having a higher external mark will counteract a poor internal mark (rank based), if that makes sense. So, there is a point :)

my average for english marks over the entire year has been in the low - mid 70s :(
going by your idea, is it better to focus on english more and make other subjects a lower priority?
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85

my average for english marks over the entire year has been in the low - mid 70s :(
going by your idea, is it better to focus on english more and make other subjects a lower priority?

Yeah for sure. In the end, it's much easier to pull a 70 into the high 80s than to increase a mark already in the 90s into the 95s. It will also have a much more beneficial impact on your ATAR as well - if you keep focusing on your strengths, there will be an even greater disparity between your english mark and your other subjects and this will pull your mark down. It's much better to have consistent marks across the board than to have some super high ones and one mediocre one. :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)