Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 05:54:06 am

Author Topic: textual form and purpose?  (Read 10872 times)

pels

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
textual form and purpose?
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:26:27 pm »
+1
Hey all,

Just wanted to know what textual form and purpose is.

Cheers

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: textual form and purpose?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »
+4
Hey all,

Just wanted to know what textual form and purpose is.

Cheers

I think textual form relates to the medium the writer uses to convey their ideas (e.g. film, play, treatise, novel, poem etc.) and when talking about form it's good to talk about some of the literary and structural devices unique to that form. So for me (I do the Prince and Julius Caesar), I talk about his use of aphoristic language (inherent to the education style of treatise) etc. and for Shakespeare I contrast his ability to engage in complex characterisation of characters, and his ability to dramatise actions, allowing audiences to visualise what's going on.

Purpose is more about what the author wants his work to achieve. So again some texts might have been written for entertainment, some might be written to support a certain ideology, some might be written in order to present yourself in a better light (memoirs). And this ties in with their use of form. Like I'm not going to make a documentary for entertainment, but I might use a speech to portray myself in a better light. Stuff like that :)

Hope that helps!

pels

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: textual form and purpose?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:17:28 pm »
I think textual form relates to the medium the writer uses to convey their ideas (e.g. film, play, treatise, novel, poem etc.) and when talking about form it's good to talk about some of the literary and structural devices unique to that form. So for me (I do the Prince and Julius Caesar), I talk about his use of aphoristic language (inherent to the education style of treatise) etc. and for Shakespeare I contrast his ability to engage in complex characterisation of characters, and his ability to dramatise actions, allowing audiences to visualise what's going on.

Purpose is more about what the author wants his work to achieve. So again some texts might have been written for entertainment, some might be written to support a certain ideology, some might be written in order to present yourself in a better light (memoirs). And this ties in with their use of form. Like I'm not going to make a documentary for entertainment, but I might use a speech to portray myself in a better light. Stuff like that :)

Hope that helps!

Legendary, cheers!