Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:35:30 pm

Author Topic: Question about IT  (Read 757 times)

GCM123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Question about IT
« on: July 28, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »
Hello!

So I'm currently a year 12 student thinking about my aspirations and what to do next year.
I'm a heavy STEM kid, so I want to do (or at least major) in something to do with science. However, I've also been thinking about doing some sort of minor in IT.

Question is, how hard (I know it's subjective) is studying IT, especially networking (or anything else, doesn't matter). IT is essentially my backup if I don't get a science job, and I've also heard that IT employability rates are sky-high, so I probably wouldn't find it difficult to get a job (that is, if I'm competent enough).

As a side note, I know absolutely nothing about IT, not even the basics, but I'm willing to start from scratch.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!!!!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Question about IT
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 03:58:54 pm »
+4
IT employability rates actually aren't as good as people think (even if you score high). The primary reason is the industry can and does quite frequently hire international employees on visas (main reason: financial). So don't pick it just for that reason - entry level roles usually involve help desk support (or if you're lucky, you'll get a graduate role/internship).

In my opinion IT is three main elements: mathematics, business/communication and the hands-on technology component. Networking requires a strong mathematical understanding due to things like subnets, IP addressing etc.

There's two main branches - IT and Computer Science (and while you may think they're the same, they aren't). IT is less reliant on the mathematics and emphasises the ability to be a "solver" in the business space. Somebody who can communicate, somebody who can SOLVE problems, somebody who acts as that link in a business.

I have an IT degree so I know a fair few people in this space. I'm not in the industry (due to personal choice, I had different ideas and did the degree for knowledge rather than anything else) but it's a tough gig because you're competing against those who cost less, it's really as simple as that. If you think about technology, unless it requires physical intervention, problems tech-related can be solved pretty much anywhere in the world virtually.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:01:30 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

GCM123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 05:14:42 pm »
Ahh right. Truth hurts I guess :P

Very recently I've spoken to someone who had 30 years in the IT industry, he states that networking pretty much encompasses anything to do with IT and it's also a great career choice. He also said that programming is as well, but less demanding. Where do you think programming sits for employment and difficulty?

I didn't really know you needed maths for networking, so what type of maths do you really need for it?

If you don't mind, what major did you do for IT?

Cheers man

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 05:48:08 pm »
Ahh right. Truth hurts I guess :P

Very recently I've spoken to someone who had 30 years in the IT industry, he states that networking pretty much encompasses anything to do with IT and it's also a great career choice. He also said that programming is as well, but less demanding. Where do you think programming sits for employment and difficulty?

I didn't really know you needed maths for networking, so what type of maths do you really need for it?

If you don't mind, what major did you do for IT?

Cheers man

The main component of maths for networking is understanding how IP addressing works and subnets, like i've just stated.

Programming is great because you can either get yourself a job or freelance. Especially in the digital age where nearly everything is run by tech in some form or another, being able to program this tech will still be hot in demand 5-10 years down the track. It's hard to initially get your head around but once you learn one, the syntax is very common across most if not all programming languages. Finding the right tutorial/learning materials is often the most difficult step. Unfortunately if you were to get a job in this space, programming can be achieved pretty much anywhere with a computer and the right software.... so outsourcing the labour is often the primary decision rather than hiring people locally.

I did a generalist degree covering most areas of IT from information systems to big data and data mining. I did a bit of networking but not too much, never interested me. The math requirement for IT is not as heavy as something like computer science or engineering, but it still exists and unfortunately those who enter IT (from my experience as a university tutor too) are fooled by this, thinking it's going to be easy(ier).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile