Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:40:20 pm

Author Topic: Law at Melbourne and Latrobe  (Read 5152 times)  Share 

xtreme_matt32

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Law at Melbourne and Latrobe
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:46:56 pm »
I plan to do an Arts degree at Melbourne, and then want to do JD at Melbourne aswell. I just wanted to know how the two law courses compare to each other, and if studying at one or the other will give me an advantage when looking for a job, incase i dont get into law at melbourne.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
Re: Law at Melbourne and Latrobe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:54 am »
I have heard from one or two law firms that they simply chuck out applicants that aren't from Melbourne or Monash. Of course, n < 30, therefore that obversation is not statistically significant..

...you're better off going to Melbourne / Monash in other words. You should also consider Arts at Monash (or Melbourne) and doing a lateral entry into Law at Monash.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:54:23 am »
You could always do law at LaTrobe, do really well, and then get a masters. That looks more impressive than an LLB or JD, regardless of uni. Also, even though there is a lot of elitism associated with law, you'll be able to get a job as a LaTrobe graduate. I guess it depends what you want, though. Have a look at Monash law also, if it isn't too far away or you think you have a chance of getting the crazy high ENTER required for entry.

Also, as I'm an ANU kid, I can barely make a post about courses unless I say that if you're willing to move up, you can get the most prestigious law degree in the country with a 95 ENTER.

SoLe!

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • :]
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:22:45 pm »
You could always do law at LaTrobe, do really well, and then get a masters. That looks more impressive than an LLB or JD, regardless of uni. Also, even though there is a lot of elitism associated with law, you'll be able to get a job as a LaTrobe graduate. I guess it depends what you want, though. Have a look at Monash law also, if it isn't too far away or you think you have a chance of getting the crazy high ENTER required for entry.

Also, as I'm an ANU kid, I can barely make a post about courses unless I say that if you're willing to move up, you can get the most prestigious law degree in the country with a 95 ENTER.

Are you being serious? Why are ANU law degrees prestigious?
Resident athlete/gamer.

Aims 2009 (raw scores):
English: 43+
Methods (CAS): 40+
Chemistry: 37+
Economics: 44+
Revolutions: 44+
Psychology: 40+

Enter aim: 98.00
Arts/Law @ Monash

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:27:16 pm »
I am guessing because ANU is Australia's number one uni, ranked 16th in the world (Melbourne is ranked 27th)
http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/

costargh

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:35 pm »
Maybe SoLe confused ANU with ACU which would explain his sense of suprise?

SoLe!

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
Yeah that was it...*wink wink*. No i was confused because i have seen documents that say melbourne, then UNSW or the top sydney uni were the number 1&2 unis...I can't really remember where.. Also how does a UWA law degree stack up against UoM and Monash? FINALLY how hard is it to be chosen to transfer from a particular course into law at monash?

Ummm just looked at ANU website. SO lemme get this right, if i get an ENTER of 95.30 for example, i would not be excepted into Melbourne, but could do Law at ANU. Which supposedly is the most prestigious. HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE!?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 04:49:52 pm by SoLe! »
Resident athlete/gamer.

Aims 2009 (raw scores):

Arts/Law @ Monash

costargh

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »
There is no Undergrad law at Melbourne anymore so you wouldn't get in even if you got 99.95 lol

psychlaw

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:46 pm »
Yeah that was it...*wink wink*. No i was confused because i have seen documents that say melbourne, then UNSW or the top sydney uni were the number 1&2 unis...I can't really remember where.. Also how does a UWA law degree stack up against UoM and Monash? FINALLY how hard is it to be chosen to transfer from a particular course into law at monash?

Ummm just looked at ANU website. SO lemme get this right, if i get an ENTER of 95.30 for example, i would not be excepted into Melbourne, but could do Law at ANU. Which supposedly is the most prestigious. HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE!?
enter scores cutoffs are based on demand, rather then what seems prestigious... people are reluctant to move to Canberra to do law, thats why the cut off is lower

SoLe!

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 05:20:29 pm »
No, but a higher enter score increases the chance of being selected for Law at melbourne. Also if you get 99 your guaranteed a spot (full fee? :S). By prestigious i meant if i go for a job and i have an ANU law degree and the guy next to me has a UoM degree, which one do they prefer?
Resident athlete/gamer.

Aims 2009 (raw scores):

Arts/Law @ Monash

costargh

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:22:30 pm »
No, but a higher enter score increases the chance of being selected for Law at melbourne. Also if you get 99 your guaranteed a spot (full fee? :S).
No they don't. ENTER is not considered when applying for post-grad law @ melbourne

SoLe!

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:25:57 pm »
So its just your results in the course you chose? Do they prefer certain courses over others?

Also what kind of results would you need?
Resident athlete/gamer.

Aims 2009 (raw scores):

Arts/Law @ Monash

orsel

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Condescending Member
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:01 pm »
No, but a higher enter score increases the chance of being selected for Law at melbourne. Also if you get 99 your guaranteed a spot (full fee? :S).
No they don't. ENTER is not considered when applying for post-grad law @ melbourne
Quoted for untruth.

For a Commonwealth supported place in the graduate degree:

* achieve an ENTER (or equivalent) of 99.9 (achieved in the final year of schooling in Australia by 2010);

For a fee place (Australian or international) in the graduate degree*:

* achieve an ENTER (or equivalent) of 99.0 (achieved in the final year of schooling by 2010);

http://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/aust/apg/apgpathway.html
Click

Quote from: gabrielle__
CONDESCENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did someone call my name?

psychlaw

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »
Thats true, as long as you don't fail any subjects, if you get 99 your guaranteed a full fee JD spot at Melbourne

By prestigious i meant if i go for a job and i have an ANU law degree and the guy next to me has a UoM degree, which one do they prefer?
There both very prestigious universities. It would depend on your university results. If he did better then you, I'd assume he'd get the job, and vice versa if you did better then him.

costargh

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 05:52:43 pm »
All applicants for the Melbourne JD must sit the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

For admission in 2009: The registration deadline has been extended for all Australian test centres.  Applicants must register for the LSAT by 22 September 2008 to sit the test on 5 October 2008. LSAT Test Centres are located in all Australian capital cities.
http://jd.law.unimelb.edu.au/index.cfm?objectID=CAF648DA-1422-207C-BAB75CE7493ED10C

My interpretation from that is that everyone must sit the LSAT.
Doesn't matter anyway. Chances are he won't get 99.