Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:05:31 pm

Author Topic: Can you really waste your ATAR?  (Read 2580 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Can you really waste your ATAR?
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:30:33 am »
+12
I just want to touch briefly on the concept of "wasting your ATAR", which is something that gets thrown around with some regularity at this time of year. Here are my thoughts on it.

The purpose of the ATAR.
The whole reason the ATAR exists is to give tertiary institutions an insight into academic performance of high school students. Unis and the like need some sort of way to "rank" high school students, particularly for courses in great demand.

Getting a 99 ATAR does not mean you're better than somebody who received a 50 ATAR. It also doesn't mean you'll perform better at university. It certainly doesn't mean you should only consider university courses that students who achieved similarly in high school are considering applying for. That would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Getting a high ATAR doesn't mean you "need" to study Law, or Medicine. It just means you performed strongly within the confines of VCE/HSC assessments. Nothing more, nothing less.

So can you waste your ATAR?
I think the general idea here is that, say you achieved an ATAR of 90.00 and ended up enrolling in a course you could have been accepted into with a much lower ATAR - say, of 60.00. That's 30 whole wasted ATAR pointssss!11!!1!!!! But is it? Not really.

Enrolling in a degree just because you can makes no sense. Degrees with high ATAR requirements are not inherently prestigious. They're not inherently useful. They don't inherently guarantee jobs, or money. They're simply the degrees in greatest demand.

Imagine you're at the supermarket, and have $10.00 in your pocket. You want to buy some chocolate. You have two options:

Option 1: your favourite chocolate bar, which is conveniently quite cheap. You can buy this for $3.00.
Option 2: a much more expensive chocolate bar. One that is priced at $9.50, but one you don't think you'll enjoy nearly as much.

Would it be a waste to go for option one? No, obviously not. What if you had to throw away your change after buying the chocolate bar? Would it then be more sensible to go for option two? Still no. If you're going to spend $10.00 on a chocolate bar, why would you go for the "more prestigious" or more expensive one, solely because it was more expensive? That would make no sense at all. In fact, that would be wasting your money, because you ultimately don't get what you want. You're using your money to literally buy an inferior product.

The same is true with ATARs. Using your ATAR to get into a course you don't really want to get into just makes a mockery of everything you've been working toward.

I guess what I'm saying here is...
... for your own sake, please list your preferences in order of, y'know, preference. Nothing else. You're the one who'll be trudging through the degree. Don't forget that!

P.S. I enrolled in a degree with a minimum ATAR of like 15 points lower than my actual ATAR. Loved it. Zero regrets.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:29:46 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Can you really waste your ATAR?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:18:12 am »
+11
If anyone 'wasted' their ATAR, I did.  I enrolled in a course 30ish points below my ATAR, and soon dropped out of that, so that I'm not even 'using' my ATAR at all.  I really, truly don't regret it - and I don't regret working for my ATAR, either; I got personal satisfaction from it.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 12:37:23 pm »
+6
On a very similar note to heids, I didn’t just choose a course that was lower than my ATAR. I chose a course that didn’t even require an ATAR in the first place. Do I regret my decision? Of course not. What would be the point in me (for example) journalism or engineering that were close to my ATAR if I don’t like it. I know heaps of people from film school who got ATARs high enough for law and medicine but still chose to pursue a non atar course. ATARs don’t determine your course at uni at all. It is your personal preference at the end of the day.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 01:02:42 pm »
+8
Just a point from my opinion/perspective:

It IS okay to get a high ATAR and choose a course that has a lower requirement.

The important thing here is the following:
1. You CAN transfer to another uni during your course, provided your marks are good thus far.
2. You SHOULD choose a course based on your interests and future career goals, not something that has a high ATAR requirement.
3. Choosing a course based purely on prestige, without considering other factors (e.g. distance from home, specialties of the university etc) is in most cases not the right move. I am not saying prestige isn't important, but it shouldn't be the sole influence on your decision.
4. Speak with as many unis/departments/people as possible to get informed on the best possible decision. I involved my family in the decision as I needed fresh sets of eyes.

My first degree was from a uni which definitely doesn't rank up there in the top unis (La Trobe), but having now been to two separate universities (LTU and Monash), I can say without a doubt that my experience at La Trobe was 10x better as I felt connected, supported (both personally and academically) and it had that "community feel" in the Compsci Department. It even gave me my first real job teaching fresh intakes of IT/Computer Science students.

You really have to ask yourself: Is my choice of course REALLY the BEST option for ME.

Choosing a course is a REALLY tough decision.... having done it twice now. But the important thing is that you choose one that will best support you in the future.. and that requires you to be as informed as possible about all the possibilities, pros, cons etc. too, rather than just numbers / uni
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:09:13 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 01:57:16 pm »
+1
If anyone 'wasted' their ATAR, I did.  I enrolled in a course 30ish points below my ATAR, and soon dropped out of that, so that I'm not even 'using' my ATAR at all.  I really, truly don't regret it - and I don't regret working for my ATAR, either; I got personal satisfaction from it.

That's the thing, isn't it? While the ATAR was designed for the reasons outlined in the opening post, high school has so many other functions.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.