Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2021, 06:09:49 pm

Author Topic: ThunderDragon's Journey Through Uni  (Read 1726 times)

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +76
Re: ThunderDragon's Journey Through Uni
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 01:03:13 pm »
+4
Hey Thunderdragon,
I see some ambitious goals that would require lots of hard work and time commitment (tryharding over the three years). Good Luck!

Tommy
Haha bro won't expose you. Hopefully it's just this year that I need to try hard so I can avoid the GAMSAT (ewwww) but realistically, GAMSAT woohoo so excited....
2019 - Geography [41]
2020 - English, Methods, Chem, Bio and Psych [39]
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Science at Monash

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 01:03:31 pm »
+2
Hey ThunderDragon!!  ;D

It's great that you're happy with your timetable! Mine had so many clashes, it's not even funny.

Woww, Science is so big!! I must say that the neuroscience club sounds super fun and it's great that you're getting back into volleyball!

All the best for your SAT exam!! ✨

Loved the journal update and have fun at Orientation Week!

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 01:08:51 pm »
+1
Hey ThunderDragon!!  ;D

It's great that you're happy with your timetable! Mine had so many clashes, it's not even funny.

Woww, Science is so big!! I must say that the neuroscience club sounds super fun and it's great that you're getting back into volleyball!

All the best for your SAT exam!! ✨

Loved the journal update and have fun at Orientation Week!
Haha thanks Evolio! Hope your clashes get sorted out soon. Have fun at O-week too!
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 05:52:48 pm »
+8
Week 1 Update

Just finished my first week of Uni and thought it would be a good idea to update everyone. I will most likely make a post once a week providing an update on Uni and other things. In general, first week through Uni was pretty good. Didn't get lost too many times even though the Campus was even bigger than I thought. Was able to get a feel of my classes and meet new people. Now I'll just go into more depth about each individual unit.

BIO1011:
The first week was rather uneventful. We were learning about the real basics and also a lot of Chemistry. The timetable for this unit is kind of annoying with having to opt in each week for On Campus Workshops and a lot of online seminars being at weird times such as 5 pm. Hopefully as the weeks go by, the content becomes more interesting though I think it will having looked at the syllabus.

CHM1011:

Currently this is probably the subject that will give me the most headaches. First week content was on VSEPR theory and extremely boring. Already getting bombarded with Quizzes, Pre Lab Quizzes and Post Lab work that contributes to my final grade. So far disliking this subject but I guess I will stick with this unit at least for Semester 1 and see how it goes.

PHS1031:
So far this subject has been rather decent. With having almost no physics background, the content is a little bit difficult but once I figure out which formulas the question is asking for, it actually flows decently well. The concepts become pretty interesting once applied to the human body and Medicine so I just need to overcome the slight difficulty and mundane-ness of the Physics calculations.

EAE1011:
I switched out of Astronomy and into Earth, Atmosphere and Environment because it seemed like Astronomy was also quite Physics heavy and I felt I didn't want to do too much Physics. I also kind of missed Geography and this seemed kind of close to it with a bit more Science emphasis. So far I've been enjoying this unit especially looking at the different origins of rocks so far. Our professor seems very knowledgeable and approachable which is great! Only complaint I have is that my Practical class finishes rather late so my brain is pretty much dead by the end but I can't be bothered to change to an earlier time due to a Clash and the fact that I have quite a few new friends in this class.

Other News:
I rescheduled my SAT exam to May because I've kind of been bombarded with Uni work and want to get to a good start. Also registered for my UCAT exam which will be in the middle of July. For both these exams, I'm thinking of doing a little bit of study each week because I've found that my usual method of cramming doesn't work and I always get stressed out and disappointed with my results.

That's it for this week. Hope everyone had a good first week of Uni.
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 08:26:48 pm »
+3
Week 2 Update

Some big news since the last update. I decided to drop CHM1011 (Chemistry 1) because I felt that I wasn't really enjoying the content and that it was extremely Physics heavy which isn't really what I want to do. I weighed up between the fact that CHM1011 may help with GAMSAT and the fact that it might ruin my WAM quite a bit. I do plan on potentially picking up CHM1022 next semester since that is mainly Organic Chem and Inorganic Chem which is a bit more up my alley and not as boring. Due to dropping this unit, I ended up picking up ATS1310 (Extreme Earth Hazards) which seems pretty similar to VCE Geography so hopefully that will be good.

BIO1011:
So far, still pretty basic and kind of boring. Had a Quiz which contributes to our final grade which was a little bit scary but managed to get 19.5/20 so pretty happy with that. Have a lab next week so hopefully that will be more interesting. I think content-wise, it will probably take up until Week 5 or 6 for the content to ramp up and become more exciting instead of being pretty much a repeat of the start of VCE Biology.

PHS1031:
Had a lab this week and we got to measure our Diastolic Blood Pressure, Systolic Blood Pressure and Heart Rate which was pretty cool. Due to COVID, only one person in our group was able to get those parameters measured so unfortunately didn't get mine read but still cool. Got a bit of catching up in terms of the worksheets to do but so far, this unit has been the most interesting since it's got splashes of Medicine.

EAE1011:
The content for Week 2 was pretty boring and the lectures were so hard to get through. However, just had a Practical and it went 360 and actually was pretty interesting. I'll just blame the monotone, repetitiveness and over 139 slides of the lectures as the reason why I didn't enjoy the content.

ATS1310:
Since I joined this unit pretty much today, I haven't actually looked at anything yet. Will need to catch up on Lectures but hopefully my previous 3/4 Geography knowledge can carry me through.

Other News:
Not much has happened though I need to remind myself to start UCAT prep and not make the same mistake as last year.
2019 - Geography [41]

ThunderDragon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 11:06:09 pm »
+6
Week 3 and 4 Update

Been a little while but here's an update of the last two weeks of Uni.

BIO1011:
Somehow this is my worst performing unit at the moment which is kind of sad. I stuffed up a Quiz pretty bad and even though its the top 10 quizzes so it might not get counted and even if it does, its only worth 2%, I'm still mad because I haven't gotten this bad in my other units. My post-lab work for Lab Practical 1 was due a few days ago and that was quite frustrating to do since the questions were so vague and there was a very limited word limit. Need to revise all the Chem stuff and hoping Bio improves as we start to get into Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration.

PHS1031:
Surprisingly this is my 2nd best unit at the moment. Despite this, I still feel like I need to spend the next week or two revising everything I've learnt because I don't exactly feel comfortable with the content. Lab was pretty decent despite being a week behind in lectures haha. Complete my first quiz for this unit a few days ago and got 9/10 which I was pretty surprised about but also mad that I spent half the time limit on the last question and got it wrong. Need to revise all the blood fluid stuff before we get into muscle movement which should be interesting.

EAE1011:
I was able to redeem my "poor" quiz result from the week before by getting 9/10 for the content quiz and getting 10/10 for the Practical quiz. Need to catch up on the Practical since I skipped this due to recovering from my wisdom teeth surgery. So far the unit has definitely improved since Week 2 thankfully. Almost up to date with this unit.

ATS1310:
Submitted my first essay which was worth 15% of my entire grade. Kind of nervous waiting for my result since I have no idea how well I'm going to do on it. Had to do a group oral presentation at 7:30 pm which was kind of annoying but oh well. Up to date with this unit at least.

UCAT and SAT:
Need to stop procrastinating and actually start studying for these two properly lmao.

That's all for today. Hopefully I'll see you in a week as next week is the last week before our Mid-Semester break.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:10:04 pm by ThunderDragon »
2019 - Geography [41]