Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 05:24:00 am

Author Topic: How to start personal statement  (Read 1198 times)  Share 

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How to start personal statement
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:46:01 am »
Hi there!
I was just wondering what exactly do I write in the beginning of the personal statement where it asks us about our goals and why we want to do tertiary education and future career?

Thanks!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: How to start personal statement
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:56:08 am »
Can I add a question too - what is the point of the personal statement? If it's not a required thing for whatever you're going for. I mean how does it change things?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:31:21 pm »
Can I add a question too - what is the point of the personal statement? If it's not a required thing for whatever you're going for. I mean how does it change things?
Good question but depends on the course! Some courses require it and some don't and it can also be a personal choice :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:31:40 pm »
+3
I was just wondering what exactly do I write in the beginning of the personal statement where it asks us about our goals and why we want to do tertiary education and future career?

You genuinely just answer those questions.  Why do you want to get into these courses, compared with not going to uni?  What are your long term career goals?  How will this course make your life better and contribution to society better?  There's no right answer to this - they don't want everyone to write a formulaic answer; they want you to genuinely answer the question.  You can start with "I want to..." or "I'm passionate about..." etc.

I hope you've read https://www.vtac.edu.au/applying/personal-statement.html

It's more often used for non-VCE entry, or possibly courses with more competitive entry.  It gives the admissions officers more information about you - it gives them a concept of what factors affected your scores, what other things you bring to the table, why you want to get into the course, etc.  It never hurts to submit it, but if it's not listed as a requirement for that course, they might not even bother reading it because it's infinitely quicker to do admissions based on just scores (+ SEAS where relevant).
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care