Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:02:31 pm

Author Topic: choosing subjects for 2010  (Read 9115 times)  Share 

pip

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
choosing subjects for 2010
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:44 am »
Does anyone know when we get to choose subjects? Is this around o week? Before that? and when do we have to allocate our timetable preferences? lol i totally do not get uni at all...

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: choosing subjects for 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:51 am »
ahahaha +! i have no idea. what course?
2009 ENTER = 99.85
2010 - Science/Law at Monash

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17:37 am »
I've been told this:

It should be a bit before O-week since O-week is pretty much the first week of uni and you get "straight into" it, so to speak.  You start going to lectures, learn your way around the uni, meet new people and overall adapt to the new environment.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »
Lectures and stuff are the week after O-week though. Generally there's an enrolment day in O-week where you talk to an advisor about subjects to enroll in and set up your timetable and all that. Well that's how it works at ANU, anyway, not sure what it's like elsewhere...
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »

Umm... I think most people choose their units at enrolment day (I know there are advisors there at least), but I didn't go (I sent a proxy instead) so I'm not 100% on that.

Otherwise, you will choose your units for the year (both semesters) online soon after you enrol.

After that, you put in preferences between 12th Jan and 18th Feb... basically, you tell the computer which class times suit you best out of the options available.

Sort is run on the 19th Feb... this is where it spits out your timetable.

Adjustment mode is open from the 23rd Feb through to 22nd Mar (12th Mar for science students) ...this is where you can fix up the crap timetable Alloclash gave you by changing into other class times as places become available in them.

You have until the 13th Mar to add or change first semester units, and until the 31st Mar (census date) to discontinue first semester units without academic penalty or fees.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:54:21 pm »

Umm... I think most people choose their units at enrolment day (I know there are advisors there at least), but I didn't go (I sent a proxy instead) so I'm not 100% on that.

Otherwise, you will choose your units for the year (both semesters) online soon after you enrol.

After that, you put in preferences between 12th Jan and 18th Feb... basically, you tell the computer which class times suit you best out of the options available.

Sort is run on the 19th Feb... this is where it spits out your timetable.

Adjustment mode is open from the 23rd Feb through to 22nd Mar (12th Mar for science students) ...this is where you can fix up the crap timetable Alloclash gave you by changing into other class times as places become available in them.

You have until the 13th Mar to add or change first semester units, and until the 31st Mar (census date) to discontinue first semester units without academic penalty or fees.

wait, 12th jan?
we dont even know what course we are in untill 18th onwards
or are you talking about 2nd & 3rd year students?
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

herzy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »
i think thats after first year, yes....
2009 ENTER = 99.85
2010 - Science/Law at Monash

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:06 pm »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 09:48:45 pm »

It doesn't matter when preference entry opens... only when it closes... obviously first years will just have a smaller time frame in which to enter their preferences.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »
with choosing subjects and times etc is it 1st come 1st serve if u want particular tute/lecture times?
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:21:16 pm »

with choosing subjects and times etc is it 1st come 1st serve if u want particular tute/lecture times?

No... preference entry mode is just preference entry mode... that's why I said it didn't matter about open date, just the close date.
When you try and switch classes in adjustment mode from 23rd Feb, that's when you have to jump into an open spot in your preferred class time straight away if you want it, because class sizes are fixed.

Quote from: http://allocate.cc.monash.edu.au/
"Allocate+ is an online allocation system, which can be accessed from any computer in the world that has Internet access. As a student, you are able to browse available timeslots for all enrolled activities and specify your personal preferences for timeslots that you would like to attend.

Allocate+ is not a first come/first served system. Your preferences are collected, ranked, randomised and sorted. After completion of the sort, you will be provided with a clash free timetable."

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »

Oh... I should edit that last quote:

Quote from: http://allocate.cc.monash.edu.au/
"Allocate+ is an online allocation system, which can be accessed from any computer in the world that has Internet access. As a student, you are able to browse available timeslots for all enrolled activities and specify your personal preferences for timeslots that you would like to attend.

Allocate+ is not a first come/first served system. Your preferences are collected, ranked, randomised and sorted. After completion of the sort, you will be provided with a clash free timetable terrible timetable that has you coming to uni for 8am classes 5 days a week but is, quite miraculously, completely clash-free."

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:34:52 pm »
i was gonna say..... i dont like that word "randomised" in that quote
how often do ppl have 8am classes?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »

I've never had an 8am class... if I did, I wouldn't turn up.
There aren't many for Arts or BusEco students, and rarely do students get stuck in them unwillingly.
There are more in areas like Engineering where these options must be made available since there are higher contact hours.
(higher contact hours = more classes = more clashes .: more options that are unlikely to clash are needed)

If you lurk often enough on Allocate during adjustment mode (think: refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh) you can usually switch into your first preferences.

"Randomised" is just their way of saying that there is no bias when they allocate your timetable... the fact that one person gets into a class while another doesn't is random luck... there is no conscious decision made and it's not something intentional.

Edit: Wait... I lie... I've had two 8am classes... there were two early-morning computer lab classes I had to attend for Japanese... I did actually rock up to them... it was a miracle.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »

I've never had an 8am class... if I did, I wouldn't turn up.
There aren't many for Arts or BusEco students, and rarely do students get stuck in them unwillingly.
There are more in areas like Engineering where these options must be made available since there are higher contact hours.
(higher contact hours = more classes = more clashes .: more options that are unlikely to clash are needed)

If you lurk often enough on Allocate during adjustment mode (think: refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh) you can usually switch into your first preferences.

"Randomised" is just their way of saying that there is no bias when they allocate your timetable... the fact that one person gets into a class while another doesn't is random luck... there is no conscious decision made and it's not something intentional.

Edit: Wait... I lie... I've had two 8am classes... there were two early-morning computer lab classes I had to attend for Japanese... I did actually rock up to them... it was a miracle.

im doing japanese *sigh*
oh well, i dont mind if its just once or twice per week
wait, why does jap have computer lab classes? research?