Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 07:46:00 pm

Author Topic: No idea what courses to apply for (please help)  (Read 718 times)  Share 

oliviagg

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
No idea what courses to apply for (please help)
« on: June 19, 2020, 12:06:57 am »
Hey so I’ve started to worry about my university preferences for 2021. Basically in unit 1/2 I was doing pretty well in my subjects averaging 90% in most SACS, but due to personal circumstances unit 3 for me has not been the best and I am now averaging around a 65%. I now feel as though I will be able to step it up for unit 4 and the exam and can hopefully get an ok ATAR. I’ve been looking at uni courses and I have realised that I have no idea what ATAR I will receive having previously doing really well. I’m not sure if I should still apply for the course I had originally wanted to get into with an 85 ATAR or so, or if I would be better off choosing courses with a 60-70 ATAR maybe if there is no way that I can still receive an 85?

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: No idea what courses to apply for (please help)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:22:37 am »
+6
Hey there, Oliviagg!

For the moment, ignore what marks you think you may get. When you complete your uni preferences, order it in what you want, not what you think you're likely to receive.

VTAC works on a preference system. If you don't get into your first preference, it'll just switch to your second preference, or your third, and so on. If you order it based on what one you think you're likely to get into, then you're handicapping yourself if you happen to score better than expected.

We have an article that explains it much better than I could that lays out why you should only ever set it based on your desired preference.

Hope this helps — and best of luck!🐢 
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

oliviagg

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:57:02 am »
Thanks so much for your reply. That’s definitely helped me out. Although is it possible to not get into any of your preferences? So if I picked ones that ATAR above 80 and ended up with something like a 60, would they all reject me? Or should I make sure to add ones that I believe I definitely still would be able to get into?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 10:33:30 am »
+5
Thanks so much for your reply. That’s definitely helped me out. Although is it possible to not get into any of your preferences? So if I picked ones that ATAR above 80 and ended up with something like a 60, would they all reject me? Or should I make sure to add ones that I believe I definitely still would be able to get into?
You’ll have plenty of time to switch before and after you receive your ATAR so this problem should not be much of an issue. In saying that, there’s actually a lot of extra factors that go into getting an offer from a university like special consideration (SEAS), subject bonuses and a general availability of places the institute offers. If you can’t get in via your ATAR alone, sometimes other programs or these other factors can help you get a place in your desired course instead.

Don’t give up now and try your best! It’s the only way you’ll know for sure you gave it your all and won’t have regrets. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread