Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 12:59:42 pm

Author Topic: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!  (Read 38994 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
+3
yea pretty much! i tried sbs on demand for brooklyn nine-nine, but it was super laggy and low quality so i gave up there.

excited to read the guide you're writing!

It's published here! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:45 pm »
+3
Does anyone watch The Good Doctor here? I have to say, I don't really watch medical shows, but the premise of an autistic doctor/surgeon appealed to me.
One episode in, and I was hooked. I think it's such a brilliantly written and acted show that treats the subject of autism quite sensitively. Freddie Highmore plays the good doctor in question, Dr. Shaun Murphy, with realism and skill. It's one of the best shows I saw in 2017, and I'm sure it will be just as good this year.

Curious to hear other's thoughts on this show. :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 09:17:18 pm »
+8
Does anyone watch The Good Doctor here? I have to say, I don't really watch medical shows, but the premise of an autistic doctor/surgeon appealed to me.
One episode in, and I was hooked. I think it's such a brilliantly written and acted show that treats the subject of autism quite sensitively. Freddie Highmore plays the good doctor in question, Dr. Shaun Murphy, with realism and skill. It's one of the best shows I saw in 2017, and I'm sure it will be just as good this year.

Curious to hear other's thoughts on this show. :)

I like the premise, although I wonder whether it does have a positive impact on the way people view autism. It really centres on the idea that he has a "special power" of intellect because of his autism, which doesn't really do much for helping foster an understanding of people with autism who are not intellectual advanced as the main character is here (by far the majority of those with ASD are not). I dunno, it's hard to say and I really don't know enough about this topic to make a good contribution to this discussion, but something about it makes me just think it's not a great way to deal with ASD. Like it's great that there's something with ASD being celebrated as a character in such a popular show, but I wonder whether it is that sensitive.

Otherwise, I don't mind the show. Classic med drama but from a different slant. The medicine is absolutely appalling though, among the most poorly researched I've ever seen. 
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

JG97

• Trailblazer
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:17 pm »
+4
I like the premise, although I wonder whether it does have a positive impact on the way people view autism. It really centres on the idea that he has a "special power" of intellect because of his autism, which doesn't really do much for helping foster an understanding of people with autism who are not intellectual advanced as the main character is here (by far the majority of those with ASD are not). I dunno, it's hard to say and I really don't know enough about this topic to make a good contribution to this discussion, but something about it makes me just think it's not a great way to deal with ASD. Like it's great that there's something with ASD being celebrated as a character in such a popular show, but I wonder whether it is that sensitive.

I don't have much experience with autism either, but one of my cousins has Asperger's, so I have one family member on the spectrum. Therefore, I do like to watch movies/shows where a character has ASD.
You do bring up a good point, though. Most works of fiction that deal with ASD present the characters affected with some kind of Superman-level cognitive powers.
This is not to say there aren't some autistic people who have extraordinary mathematical or medical knowledge; I just personally haven't met them. (similar to the point you made).

The problem is, most writers who work on these shows are probably not autistic themselves. This could have the effect of stereotyping individuals with ASD.

All this is unqualified medical opinion. Even if the medicine is woefully inaccurate, it does have decent dramatic moments.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:33:45 pm by JG97 »

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
+3
devilman crybaby; netflix original show/anime and have to say the sound track of it was brilliant and very memorable to the point i downloaded the entire show's soundtrack haha
Uni and life

JG97

• Trailblazer
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:13 am »
+2
Another show I've been binging on lately is Quantum Leap. It's a sci-fi show that ran from 1989 to 1993, and it is about a scientist, Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula), who 'leaps' into other people's bodies to fix mistakes in history. He is guided by his friend, Al (Dean Stockwell), who appears as a hologram. This means only Sam can see and hear him. In Sam's words, he leaps to 'put right what once went wrong' throughout his lifetime (so early '50s to the late '80s). When he 'leaps' into other people, we as viewers see Sam, while the other characters see him as the person he just leaped into.

I'm currently up to season 3. It isn't on Netflix, but the series can be bought on DVD. Highly recommended if you are a fan of time-travel in fiction.

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:40 am »
+3
Recommending Riverdale as a good show to binge watch. Not saying it's good per se - plot is so contrived and cringey at times, especially the second season so far - but the cliffhangers and suspense keeps you watching out of either curiosity or obligation (lol).

Defs recommend if you need to kill some time!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:07:17 am by lovelyperson »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »
+3
Recommending Riverdale as a good show to binge watch. Not saying it's good per se - plot is so contrived and cringey at times, especially the second season so far - but the cliffhangers and suspense keeps you watching out of either curiosity or obligation (lol).

I kinda watched it under heavy influence from one of my friends and found it ok (nothing great, i didn't even finish S1) and basically what you described I also felt plot progression was way too slow and too easy to read.

I probably spend more time looking for something to watch on netflix than actually watching  :'(

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 04:11:32 pm »
+3
I probably spend more time looking for something to watch on netflix than actually watching  :'(

can definitely relate!

however, there have been two really great shows on netflix - super enjoyable to watch, and the amount of times they popped up on my recommended annoyed me so much i decided to watch them.

1. The Good Place: seriously, a great show. plays with the idea of an afterlife, where there's a 'Good' and 'Bad' place, based on your life on earth. character development is really great, well written, and the acting is pretty good too! Ted Danson and Kristen Bell are in this show. :-) there's 2 seasons in this show, 13 episodes per season, running for around 20-22 minutes each.
2. Jane the Virgin: i really wish i listened to my friend's recommendation ages ago about this one. but daaaaamn it is good. the title is pretty self-explanatory, but the show isn't just about that. there are several plots going on at once, and the way they tie in together is just amazing. great characters, great acting, great writing. love it. on netflix, there's 3 seasons, with roughly 20ish episodes per season, running for just over 40 mins each. i think there's another season airing right now, but netflix doesn't upload the episodes as they're aired.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2018, 12:16:15 pm »
+4

OMG, that is exactly how I feel about Riverdale in a nutshell! Gosh, the plot just makes me cringe most of the time, and many storylines and arcs feel unfinished, but I've been here since the beginning and feel like I'm now in too deep to stop watching  ;D
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
"13 reasons why" season 2 out tomorrow ...

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2019, 06:50:50 pm »
+2
Anyone been watching Sex Education on Netflix? I was expecting lots of cringe but it's actually a decent show ^-^
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:16 pm »
Who has been watching "You" on netflix?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:06 pm »
+2

Found it so creepy that I didn't finish the last 20 minutes of the first episode. Found Penn Badgely narrating voice uncomfortable and chilling. I may revisit it though.

Everyone should watch Chilling adventures of Sabrina.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
+1

OMG, I just finished it like 2 days ago and legit have no words. The show was 'creepy' but somehow all the psychological thrill kept making me watch episode after episode until I finished it. Yet again, the last episode made me question the purpose of the show.
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW