Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:19:06 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1239578 times)

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3270 on: November 23, 2017, 10:56:11 pm »
+1
Hey! I have a listening task tomorrow worth 25% and It's basically, we listen to a video and then we have 4/5 questions similar to the reading response questions. Any tips on how to study for it??

At this point in time don't study. I know it sounds crazy, but it's tomorrow, so get some sleep. Honestly, sleep is so much better and gets you better results than a late night cramming session ever will.

Maybe tomorrow morning just read over some different techniques so you can identify them in the exam.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3271 on: November 24, 2017, 12:25:00 pm »
What would be the best techniques to use for the below quote?

"In the haze of fractured dialogue, the young man and woman felt intoxicated"
Can dialogue be intoxicating?
TIA ;D

I don't read it that the dialogue is causing intoxication, but rather that they felt giddy or lifted by it's content. Is the adjective of fractured important? Or the imagery associated with "haze" and "intoxicated" - there are connotations there that imply a sense of exotic loss of control or euphoria, confusion, perhaps. It depends on how you want to analyse it (as in, what effect you want to claim), but I'd be focusing on word choice I think! You could also talk about the omission of names - they are nameless characters, which might also mean something to your analysis? Is it trying to be universalised?

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ghewitt

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3272 on: November 26, 2017, 10:57:09 am »
Hi! I'm not sure if I'm asking this in the right place but...
I'm studing The Tempest for AOS and my related text is The Little Prince. I wanted to talk about spiritual discovery and the extended metaphor of water through out TLP. However, I have no idea if there is any spiritual discovery in the Tempest, and I'm a little bit lost!  :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:14:16 am by ghewitt »

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3273 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:30 pm »
Hey Hey Heyyyy
Does anyone know any characters/scenes/topic sentances i can analyse/use for the folllowing thesis/introduction?
I dont want to post my full essay here yet ( still reaching that post count ;( )

Thesis:
Challenging discoveries force individuals to see the world from new perspectives. Discoveries as a result of challenging experiences force individuals to empathise to others in difficult situations, and encourages them to see controversial topics such as multiculturalism, asylum seekers and refugees, from new perspectives.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #3274 on: November 28, 2017, 11:09:41 pm »
Hey Hey Heyyyy
Does anyone know any characters/scenes/topic sentances i can analyse/use for the folllowing thesis/introduction?
I dont want to post my full essay here yet ( still reaching that post count ;( )

Thesis:
Challenging discoveries force individuals to see the world from new perspectives. Discoveries as a result of challenging experiences force individuals to empathise to others in difficult situations, and encourages them to see controversial topics such as multiculturalism, asylum seekers and refugees, from new perspectives.

What text are you doing though? My guess is go back to where you came from but it's hard to give advice when you've neglected to mention this infomation.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3275 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »
Hi! I'm not sure if I'm asking this in the right place but...
I'm studing The Tempest for AOS and my related text is The Little Prince. I wanted to talk about spiritual discovery and the extended metaphor of water through out TLP. However, I have no idea if there is any spiritual discovery in the Tempest, and I'm a little bit lost!  :P

Remember that spiritual discoveries don't necessarily relate to religion. The spirit of a person is their non-physical self - it could be their courage, character, or soul. So in the Tempest, consider times when someone's courage has been tested, or their spirit of motivation. Does this lead you into new ideas? :) It sounds like you've got a grip on The Little Prince! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

key to success

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3276 on: November 29, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »
Hi guys, if you have a moment, could you please read over my intro/te for my tempest speech? thanks so much!
Discoveries, driven by wonder and a search for our purpose occur as challenging and confronting moments in life.  However, we will willingly undergo an intensely meaningful transformation, embracing a new insight of ourselves and the world around us if we learn from the discovery. William Shakespeare’s play, ‘The Tempest’ greatly manifests an emotional journey of the protagonist, Prospero, who is compelled to let go of his vengeance to express compassion when the true power of his inner-self discovery teach him that happiness is embraced by forgiveness. This humane willingness to heal disputes with others corresponds to Prospero’s physical journey in which he learns from discovering the limiting nature of magic, ultimately becoming a rational human after relinquishing his supernatural powers.
HSC 2018
Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Extension 1 Mathematics, Advanced English, Studies of religion (2017), Advanced Mathematics (2017)

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3277 on: November 29, 2017, 06:50:55 pm »
Hey,
Thanks for doing this! I have an assignment for creative writing. However, I am having difficulty exploring the concept of discovery throughout my narrative. I am attempting to write about how discoveries can be meaningful and fulfilling. Any suggestions? 

LampGod

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3278 on: November 29, 2017, 07:13:53 pm »
What's the best way to structure and present a speech?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3279 on: November 30, 2017, 12:35:03 am »
Hi guys, if you have a moment, could you please read over my intro/te for my tempest speech? thanks so much!

Sure thing!

- I like your Thesis and overall concept, lots of potential for depth and breadth depending on the question. You could tidy up wording a bit as you continue to develop it, it could definitely be a little more succinct. You could take words out without sacrificing any quality.
- Be careful when introducing the text that you don't focus too much on the character of Prospero. Remember it is about the concepts Shakespeare wants to portray. This is done through the character, but that's not the focus - Prospero is just the mechanism by which Shakespeare shows us what he wants to show us. Focus on composer intentions, not character development! This is particularly true for the last sentence which becomes heavily character focused.
- Try to have a distinct conclusion, summarising what your essay is trying to say and how it relates to the question (whatever that is) ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3280 on: November 30, 2017, 12:42:38 am »
Hey,
Thanks for doing this! I have an assignment for creative writing. However, I am having difficulty exploring the concept of discovery throughout my narrative. I am attempting to write about how discoveries can be meaningful and fulfilling. Any suggestions? 

Hi Siri! Welcome to the forums ;D

Do you have a story idea you are working with? Or are you still in the planning phase? Discoveries being meaningful and fulfilling is a really broad stimulus so you should be able to run wild with any story idea that excites you - Perhaps with minor tweaks ;D you'll want to develop a really strong character and show their response to something, but the focus will be on the character :)

This guide should be helpful whatever stage you are at! It has tips on writing and ideas to get started with, and heaps more ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3281 on: November 30, 2017, 12:43:47 am »
What's the best way to structure and present a speech?

Welcome to the forums!! I could go through a heap of tips, but I think this guide does a better job than I ever could!! I reckon it would be a useful read :)

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3282 on: November 30, 2017, 06:29:12 am »
Hi Siri! Welcome to the forums ;D

Do you have a story idea you are working with? Or are you still in the planning phase? Discoveries being meaningful and fulfilling is a really broad stimulus so you should be able to run wild with any story idea that excites you - Perhaps with minor tweaks ;D you'll want to develop a really strong character and show their response to something, but the focus will be on the character :)

This guide should be helpful whatever stage you are at! It has tips on writing and ideas to get started with, and heaps more ;D

Yes I'm writing about a strong woman who gets her mother's portrait ( set in 1558) given to her since the the mother has died. Then it has a flash back to the mother's death and return to the daughter's POV but I'm lost on the rest...

:)

ghewitt

• Adventurer
« Reply #3283 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:32 am »
Hi!
I need to cut down my speech by 15 seconds and I have no idea how - its tomorrow!!! Does anyone have any ideas?
THANK YOU   :) :D ;D

xDiiThy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3284 on: November 30, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »
Crypto as in dropout or Study. Need proper reasoning as this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity that study will waste. Meanwhile you study heads will work forever need real advixe as this coukd be life changing.