Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:11:45 pm

Author Topic: HOW TO WRITE A PERSONAL CREATIVE WRITING  (Read 732 times)

eric11588

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HOW TO WRITE A PERSONAL CREATIVE WRITING
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:25:48 pm »
Hey guys so my last post couldn't be sent due to overflow of people using it or something. So I am gonna have to type everything out again *sigh*
So my teacher wants me to do personal creative because of my poor English background (from msia) and she told me to start off with a scent. Not the smell of food but maybe nature or something, however idk what do nature smell like XD. If anyone could give me a sentence to start off then I m good to go too. So please give me some what to do and what not to do stuff in personal creative.

Here is my plot for creative, please help it be much appreciated if you did help:
Creative writing (Personal story)
   -Language barrier(disconnection)
   -Grandma = Hibiscus (Msia) (Quiet)
   -Me= Basketball (Noisy and loud)
   -But when I meet my grandma I become quiet (which is ironic)
   -My life when I move from msia to Australia, how I adapted into the Australian culture
   -Water between Msia and Australia is a symbol of separation
   -Talk about how Australia made me loud/noisy person
   -The transition from a non-native country to a native country

   -First start off with the smell of msia
   -First Paragraph on the grandmother
   -Second paragraph on the boy from Australia to msia transition
   -End of story how they watch bball game but grandmother mutes it instead of turning off cause its noisy. Boy gives grandmother a flower/ hibiscus for ???

Creative writing
1.Scent of Msia
2.Description of grandma
3.Description of the boy from Australia coming to msia
4.What happened when they meet

Also MY AP3 ARE COMING UP REAL SOON SO I M DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR HELP!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: HOW TO WRITE A PERSONAL CREATIVE WRITING
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:19:23 pm »
Hey Eric! Sorry about that little hiccup with your post - We got a big surge of traffic and the server needed to scale up ;D

Your ideas sound great! To be honest, I think the scent of your Grandmother's food could be a really powerful way to start. The scent of a favourite dish, or maybe even just the smell of a dish in the oven at your Grandmother's House - Something that establishes the house as a meaningful place? :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: HOW TO WRITE A PERSONAL CREATIVE WRITING
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:46 am »
Hey Eric,

The part I like most in your plot plan is the contrast between your quiet grandma and your loud Australian self. I think we can deepen this to become a very powerful metaphor. Obviously, you should adapt this to however you feel comfortable writing this. Perhaps you should stray from the complete truth of your experience in the name of a good story, but you should definitely drawn on your experiences to give a sense of authenticity.

Perhaps you could write about how you have to be loud and active to be noticed, valued, and important in the Australian setting. You're used to team mates congratulating each other to show their appreciation and support, it's all very vocal. But when you meet your grandmother, it's quiet, and you're quiet. At first this is unsettling and you feel it is awkward because you want to fill the space with noise, because it's what you know. Then, *plot continues*, you discover that even in the humbling quietness of your grandmother's presence, you are supported and loved and appreciated, like you are in basketball. It's just that grandma will show you in authentic ways, (simple things, making tea, burning candles to make the house smell nice, cooking in advance, whatever it may be), whereas at basketball the love is vocal. So you discover that neither of these situations are the right way to show appreciation, but rather love and appreciation is a chameleon, it shows itself differently and if you are willing to be open to new communication, you'll discover new landscapes of love, new emotions, and have a new perspective on the way love manifests.

Okay maybe I went a little overboard with the storyplan... but I think this incorporates lots of discovery boxes and if you bring in authentic descriptions and experiences with your grandma, the story will really come to life. I've changed your storyboard... please only follow through with whatever you feel is strong. But remember, don't just hit one discovery box, touch as many aspects of the rubric as you can without being vague on any.

Smells - you could definitely describe the basketball court as pungent, sweaty, stinky sweet, like deoderant...rubber from the ball even? A bit of everything. With your grandma, maybe everything smells fresh because she lives surrounded by plants, or sweet because she burns candles, or maybe aromatic because she makes curries or lives near a market.

Good luck :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!