Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:22:22 pm

Author Topic: Related Text Help Please!  (Read 6641 times)

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Related Text Help Please!
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:59:20 pm »
Hi ATARNotes perusers/contributors,

I am desperate for advice on a related text, as I really cannot seem to find one. Help!
My prescribed text is King Henry IV (Pt. 1), and I'm currently studying Module C: Representing People and Politics.

Thanks in advance.   :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Related Text Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:32 pm »
+2

I am desperate for advice on a related text, as I really cannot seem to find one. Help!
My prescribed text is King Henry IV (Pt. 1), and I'm currently studying Module C: Representing People and Politics.

Hey! V for Vendetta could be worth a look! It's a reasonably recent film that explores themes of politics, totalitarianism, control and rebellion in a modern context. I used it in the same option in Module C and it worked really well for me!! ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:05 pm »
+1

Hey! So I unfortunately didn't study that text specifically (we did Wag the Dog - even if you don't have to study it I highly recommend having a watch because it's actually an incredible film), but I did study the Representing People and Politics topic for Module C. Candide by Voltaire worked really well as a related text for me, as did the Evil Empire Speech by Ronald Reagan. You'll probably have to look a little bit into seeing if these texts relate thematically to King Henry the IV, but overall I can definitely vouch for them as fantastic Mod C relateds :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:58:39 am »
+1
Hey! V for Vendetta could be worth a look! It's a reasonably recent film that explores themes of politics, totalitarianism, control and rebellion in a modern context. I used it in the same option in Module C and it worked really well for me!! ;D

Hey! So I unfortunately didn't study that text specifically (we did Wag the Dog - even if you don't have to study it I highly recommend having a watch because it's actually an incredible film), but I did study the Representing People and Politics topic for Module C. Candide by Voltaire worked really well as a related text for me, as did the Evil Empire Speech by Ronald Reagan. You'll probably have to look a little bit into seeing if these texts relate thematically to King Henry the IV, but overall I can definitely vouch for them as fantastic Mod C relateds :)

Thank you both! All these suggestions sound great, I will be sure to check them out.  :)

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »
+4
Though I did Wag the Dog for Module C, the basis of the texts (Wag and Henry IV) are very similar ie. the themes/challenges. The relateds I used was a published essay and article which seeks to examine themes of politics, control and collusion in the modern age. These would be great, as they are different from the standard novel/movie/poem relateds most people choose, and as real life examples make the judgements you make when analysing Henry IV more poignant and up for real consideration.
These texts are:
‘How the Media Became One of Putin’s Most Powerful Weapons’ by Jill Dougherty from The Atlantic which considers the nature of political motivations and actions that centre on subterfuge and deflecting the truth under the guise of protectionism through state propaganda, and the dichotomy and irony spawned by such objectives (corruption of self and the narrative of truth)
‘Enemies Everywhere: Terrorism, Moral Panic, and US Civil Society’ (Rothe,D. Muzzatt) which examines moral panic created by the media under government directives (totalitarian efforts of control) in post 9/11 period to secure political ambitions of maintaining power in appealing to fear- thus conveying the destructiveness of political ambitions executed through elusive actions.
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:26:20 pm »
Though I did Wag the Dog for Module C, the basis of the texts (Wag and Henry IV) are very similar ie. the themes/challenges. The relateds I used was a published essay and article which seeks to examine themes of politics, control and collusion in the modern age. These would be great, as they are different from the standard novel/movie/poem relateds most people choose, and as real life examples make the judgements you make when analysing Henry IV more poignant and up for real consideration.
These texts are:
‘How the Media Became One of Putin’s Most Powerful Weapons’ by Jill Dougherty from The Atlantic which considers the nature of political motivations and actions that centre on subterfuge and deflecting the truth under the guise of protectionism through state propaganda, and the dichotomy and irony spawned by such objectives (corruption of self and the narrative of truth)
‘Enemies Everywhere: Terrorism, Moral Panic, and US Civil Society’ (Rothe,D. Muzzatt) which examines moral panic created by the media under government directives (totalitarian efforts of control) in post 9/11 period to secure political ambitions of maintaining power in appealing to fear- thus conveying the destructiveness of political ambitions executed through elusive actions.

Thank you! I especially appreciate the synopses.  :)

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:46:15 am »
+3
Thank you! I especially appreciate the synopses.  :)

No problem, I'm happy to help! :)
2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

sageziman

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:18:32 am »
+1
HIIII

Does anyone know a good related text for Brave New world?

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:46:21 am »
HIIII

Hi

When choosing a related text it is crucial that it covers the whole Module C rubric and links very well in terms of politics for Brave New World

For Brave New World, I'd suggest texts such as Gattaca (film), blade runner (film), harrison bergenon (short story) or V for Vendetta

Best of luck

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 01:50:30 pm »
HIIII

I'd also recommend V for Vendetta! And, I've just found an essay I wrote on Brave New World and V for Vendetta in Year 11 (it's not amazing, there's no conceptualisation, but the evidence and analysis is on point) - I'll upload it to the Notes section now and let you know when it appears! ;D

sageziman

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:08 am »
thank you so much!

really appreciate it

Creeve

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »
I'd also recommend V for Vendetta! And, I've just found an essay I wrote on Brave New World and V for Vendetta in Year 11 (it's not amazing, there's no conceptualisation, but the evidence and analysis is on point) - I'll upload it to the Notes section now and let you know when it appears! ;D

Hi!
Sorry I know this post was awhile ago, but just joined this site and was wondering where that essay you posted was, if you dont mind sharing it?
Thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:33 pm »
Hi!
Sorry I know this post was awhile ago, but just joined this site and was wondering where that essay you posted was, if you dont mind sharing it?
Thank you

Welcome! ;D that essay is here, be sure to click the 'Notes' tab in the top left and have a browse of a whole bunch of other free resources too! ;D

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
+1
HIIII

There's an excellent V for Vendetta and BNW essay here in the notes section, take a look :)

I'm personally using Snowden though.
Heavy Things :(