Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:15:56 pm

Author Topic: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay  (Read 71630 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 11:33:59 pm »
Yep! but im not even sure if integrated paragraphs is the way i should be going.

Hey dream dog!

I'll start by saying that you should definitely go with integrated paragraphs if you think it suits your writing style, it makes it a lot easier to make comparisons between the two texts as you go, rather than trying to link to things you said in a previous paragraph  ;D

I'd be keen to help you come up with a paragraph structure that is distinct, remember they can overlap slightly as long as the focus is different! For example, the positives of power, the negatives of power; both relate to power but with a different focus. Now I've not done too much with these texts, have you had any ideas for paragraph topics at all? I'll try and help you flesh something out  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 10:21:49 am »
+1

just a lil side note for later when you've figured out your paragraphs:
the little connections and ideas that overlap can be helpful for when you're creating your thesis and making sure your essay has a clear trajectory/flow, so don't let that stuff go to waste!!  :)

Exactly right! Having a clear image of what direction your paragraphs will go in will become very helpful for making a thesis that is broad enough to give you scope for your essay, individual enough to please a marker, but also very clear :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

dreamdog10

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 06:49:09 pm »
Hey dream dog!

I'll start by saying that you should definitely go with integrated paragraphs if you think it suits your writing style, it makes it a lot easier to make comparisons between the two texts as you go, rather than trying to link to things you said in a previous paragraph  ;D

I'd be keen to help you come up with a paragraph structure that is distinct, remember they can overlap slightly as long as the focus is different! For example, the positives of power, the negatives of power; both relate to power but with a different focus. Now I've not done too much with these texts, have you had any ideas for paragraph topics at all? I'll try and help you flesh something out  ;D

Hi Jamon!
I have a general essay right now but its not integrated so i have 4 paragraphs with
Idea 1: duplicity/pursuit of power
Idea 2: divine order and justice
And i didnt do too well in my actual Mod A assessment so im trying to recover in my trials hahaha
HSC 2016: 3U english: 44, english: 88, 3U maths: 44, maths: 91 ancient history: 90, biology: 86 and VA: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 09:39:33 pm »
Hi Jamon!
I have a general essay right now but its not integrated so i have 4 paragraphs with
Idea 1: duplicity/pursuit of power
Idea 2: divine order and justice
And i didnt do too well in my actual Mod A assessment so im trying to recover in my trials hahaha

I like it!! Probably something you should develop before the paragraphs even: Do you have any big over-arching Thesis in mind??

dreamdog10

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 12:55:54 am »
I like it!! Probably something you should develop before the paragraphs even: Do you have any big over-arching Thesis in mind??

i wrote the essay to a pretty broad thesis.
"Through variations in context and textual form, Looking for Richard offers new insights into the deceitful ambition of King Richard III."
HSC 2016: 3U english: 44, english: 88, 3U maths: 44, maths: 91 ancient history: 90, biology: 86 and VA: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 01:32:57 am »
i wrote the essay to a pretty broad thesis.
"Through variations in context and textual form, Looking for Richard offers new insights into the deceitful ambition of King Richard III."

Cool! Okay, so let's work with that a little bit.

A Thesis should stand independent of the texts. Basically, your essay is saying: "Okay, this is my big Thesis/idea, and I'm going to talk about how the two texts represent this idea." The concept stands by itself and is actually more important than the texts; the texts are just your evidence. In this Module, you are also comparing how the idea has been represented in different contexts!

So, try to come up with a Thesis that stands independent of your texts. It looks like, based on what you have now, it will be based around deceitful ambition. Great! Think about what sorts of things you want to say, and form your Thesis. It might look something like:

Deceitful ambition is a fundamental part of the human condition, as it is the natural tendency to _________ etc.

This can then be followed with the sentence you had above as an amplification statement to introduce your texts!

PS - Feel free to start a new thread just to work on this Thesis!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:34 am »
For example, look at the variety of questions asked last year for Module A:
  • Does Looking for Richard offer new insights about deceit or simply affirm those offered in King Richard III?

I managed to get this lovely in my half yearlies. Needless to say, the whole class performed below average, but I in particular performed poorly. How would you go about answering this question? We did not know the question, and had 40 minutes to come up with something half decent.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 10:12:01 am »
I managed to get this lovely in my half yearlies. Needless to say, the whole class performed below average, but I in particular performed poorly. How would you go about answering this question? We did not know the question, and had 40 minutes to come up with something half decent.

Tough one since I don't know the text (anyone want to tag in?), but basically you'd just need to be writing an essay about the theme of deceit and how it is represented in the two texts. You could define deceit cleverly, link it to power and ambition through deceitful means, etc. Remember, it is up to you to set the scope of the essay! If your introduction clearly links to the question, but clearly does it in a way that lets you use things you have studied, then it is fair game  ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »
Tough one since I don't know the text (anyone want to tag in?), but basically you'd just need to be writing an essay about the theme of deceit and how it is represented in the two texts. You could define deceit power cleverly, link it to power deceit and ambition through deceitful means, etc. Remember, it is up to you to set the scope of the essay! If your introduction clearly links to the question, but clearly does it in a way that lets you use things you have studied, then it is fair game  ;)

EDIT: My exam question actually was Does Looking for Richard offer new insights about powerdeceit or simply reaffirm those in King Richard III? We would still apply the same principles though wouldnt we?

And yes I talked about Richard being manipulative, deceitful, schematic but also tackled the notion of a "good villain" ie Richard is so good at being so bad.. And how while he doesnt get his hands dirty throughout the whole play, he kills off everyone (bar richmond, but thats a given) he wants to kill off; any threat to his reign. Manipulative, unique, was once revered and now is the laughing stock of the play. Proves people not to mess with him, spreads rumours, all that kind of stuff.

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 09:33:37 pm »
Module A is one of the more frustrating parts for me!
I have john donne and the play wit, the introduction seems to be laid out differently in this module, can someone claify it for me?

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »
+1
Module A is one of the more frustrating parts for me!
I have john donne and the play wit, the introduction seems to be laid out differently in this module, can someone claify it for me?

Hi Sky!

I'm also doing module A w;t and donne - introduction should revolve around conceptual ideas with allusions to context, as context shapes what Donne and Edson portray in their texts and how they do it.
In your intro you would, like in any module, start with a conceptual statement that gives an overview of the question e.g. Humanist spirituality offers the individual the opportunity to transcend the physical dimension through defiance of contextual authorities and ultimately achieve salvation.
Then address both texts - preferably Donne then W;t as the idea of the texts is to show reshaping of values (regarding human experience) through time - so you talk about Donne's Counter-Reformation context of religious tension and doctrinal incoherence regarding death etc. as contrasted to W;t's secularism and emphasis on academia.
Then as this is a comparative study try and forge a connection between the texts - main one being the importance of emotional and spiritual relationships and experiences to achieve salvation.

Hope this helps!
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »
Hi Sky!

I'm also doing module A w;t and donne - introduction should revolve around conceptual ideas with allusions to context, as context shapes what Donne and Edson portray in their texts and how they do it.
In your intro you would, like in any module, start with a conceptual statement that gives an overview of the question e.g. Humanist spirituality offers the individual the opportunity to transcend the physical dimension through defiance of contextual authorities and ultimately achieve salvation.
Then address both texts - preferably Donne then W;t as the idea of the texts is to show reshaping of values (regarding human experience) through time - so you talk about Donne's Counter-Reformation context of religious tension and doctrinal incoherence regarding death etc. as contrasted to W;t's secularism and emphasis on academia.
Then as this is a comparative study try and forge a connection between the texts - main one being the importance of emotional and spiritual relationships and experiences to achieve salvation.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for helping out! I couldn't have said it better myself. Keep up the good work!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 03:05:54 pm »
Hey guys!

I am doing the comparative study between Metropolis and 1984 (so good!) but am really stuck on how to tackle the essay structure. I have trials in a couple of days (GASP) and we haven't been told anything on how to write Module essays for A, B or C...so I have no idea of what I am doing...
From what I have read through the forum is:
Intro: Overarching thesis > specify thesis > texts >link back to question
Paras: similar to AOS essays where you have different thesis statements (mother statements) before linking to the text.
and essays are easier to be integrated?
and everything needs to be related to all kinds of contexts?

I have no idea haha! Any asap help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Sara
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »
Hey guys!

I am doing the comparative study between Metropolis and 1984 (so good!) but am really stuck on how to tackle the essay structure. I have trials in a couple of days (GASP) and we haven't been told anything on how to write Module essays for A, B or C...so I have no idea of what I am doing...
From what I have read through the forum is:
Intro: Overarching thesis > specify thesis > texts >link back to question
Paras: similar to AOS essays where you have different thesis statements (mother statements) before linking to the text.
and essays are easier to be integrated?
and everything needs to be related to all kinds of contexts?

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Sara

Hey Sara!
You're right on the money with the outline you've got there!
Integrated paragraphs can sometimes be trickier but are ultimately a wise move for Mod A since you want to be able to show sophistication through comparing the texts in each paragraph. The composer's context is also a VERY IMPORTANT thing to have throughout your entire essay as this impacts on the form, language, audience and a whole stack of other things. Make sure you mention context in each paragraph, don't just superficially tag it into your introduction and conclusion.
If you have time to do a practise essay, and make it to 15 posts, feel free to post it up onto the Modules marking forum English Advanced Essay Marking (Modules Only)
Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:42:54 pm by ssarahj »
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »
Hey guys!

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Sara

Hey!! As Sarah said, it definitely sounds like you are on the money! ;D you might want to take a look at this 20/20 CSSA Module A Exemplar, to see what sort of structure I used and see if it helps you get your head around what is required ;D good luck!