Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:34:41 am

Author Topic: Completing Unit 1/2 Course In Holidays  (Read 2067 times)  Share 

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
Completing Unit 1/2 Course In Holidays
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
Hello All,
I am a Year 9 student planning on accelerating Unit 1/2 Legal Studies next year, and, as the title suggests, I want to complete as much of the course as I can over the summer holidays to prime myself.

Any help regarding how to do so or some resources for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Completing Unit 1/2 Course In Holidays
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
+5
Hello All,
I am a Year 9 student planning on accelerating Unit 1/2 Legal Studies next year, and, as the title suggests, I want to complete as much of the course as I can over the summer holidays to prime myself.

Any help regarding how to do so or some resources for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hey! Welcome to ATAR Notes!

Firstly, I want to say great choice on choosing legal as a subject, it's awesome.

Secondly, I want to just say that I'd highly recommend not completing too much of the course over the holidays; especially in year 10 where your holidays should be spent relaxing (you'll have plenty of time to study and complete homework in the holidays in years 11 and especially 12 haha).

Nevertheless, given that the study design for legal is changing, there unfortunately won't be a great deal of resources available (especially for units 1/2); so you're best bet is probably to go through your assigned textbook. Maybe just focus on the first area of study, read the information and maybe compile some summary notes from what you've read. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything more than that.

Best of luck and feel free to use the forums to help you during VCE!!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
+3
Hello All,

Welcome to ATAR Notes, Sconey! Great to have you here! ;D Definitely looking forward to seeing you around over the next few years. :) Let us know if you need any help!

What's the rationale behind getting that far ahead? One might argue that it would actually be counterproductive to work too hard until you need to. The desire to get ahead is definitely admirable, but I honestly reckon the best course of action would be to take a step or two back and enjoy your holidays. :)

I'd try to help more in terms of the actual content but didn't do Legal, unfortunately. :( Although, have you checked out the free Legal notes? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sconey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »
+1
you're best bet is probably to go through your assigned textbook. Maybe just focus on the first area of study, read the information and maybe compile some summary notes from what you've read.

Thanks Glasses!
Sounds like a good idea, I'm just keen to get a bit of a head start and what you've suggested seems to be good option. Thanks again  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »
+1
Thanks Glasses!
Sounds like a good idea, I'm just keen to get a bit of a head start and what you've suggested seems to be good option. Thanks again  :)

Looks like you're intending to do the UMAT (based on your sig)? Have you started thinking about what you want to do after school? :)

Sconey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
+1
Definitely looking forward to seeing you around over the next few years. :) Let us know if you need any help!

What's the rationale behind getting that far ahead? One might argue that it would actually be counterproductive to work too hard until you need to. The desire to get ahead is definitely admirable, but I honestly reckon the best course of action would be to take a step or two back and enjoy your holidays. :)

I just want to do well and my reasoning is doing the course early will help me get ahead in my knowledge and understanding of the course, so I'll be in better stead when I have SACs and Exams.

But based on your's and Glasses' posts I think I'll just have a flick through the textbook and define some key terms for the subject. Thanks for your response and the kind words. :D

Sconey

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »
+1
Looks like you're intending to do the UMAT (based on your sig)? Have you started thinking about what you want to do after school? :)

I am most likely going to go into Law after school, but doing the UMAT does open up Medical pathways, so I would like to keep my options open.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »
+1
I just want to do well and my reasoning is doing the course early will help me get ahead in my knowledge and understanding of the course, so I'll be in better stead when I have SACs and Exams.

But based on your's and Glasses' posts I think I'll just have a flick through the textbook and define some key terms for the subject. Thanks for your response and the kind words. :D

That sounds a great course of action to me! :D A drive to succeed is the number one thing you need to succeed - and by the sounds of it, you definitely have that. ;)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »
+4
I'm gobsmacked that you're only in Year 9 and thinking about all these career options already. Good on you! Have fun while you still can :)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

AnnieL

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:34 pm »
+2
Hello All,

Hey Sconey, although learning the whole course over the holidays might be a bit much, as others have suggested, if you're wanting to get ahead, even just reading over some of the textbook might give you an idea of what is to come, and a basis for what you will learn. By just reading over it, you get a basic understanding, but still leave room for your teacher to give you specific details regarding the course. Hope this helps!