Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:33:41 pm

Author Topic: English vocabulary  (Read 4533 times)  Share 

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
English vocabulary
« on: February 09, 2019, 06:40:36 pm »
Hello AN,
I was just seeking some advice on how to improve English vocabulary skills, as mine are quite poor. What would be the best way to learn new vocabulary and commit them to memory?
Thanks.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

aspiringantelope

Re: English vocabulary
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »
+1
Hello AN,
I was just seeking some advice on how to improve English vocabulary skills, as mine are quite poor. What would be the best way to learn new vocabulary and commit them to memory?
Thanks.
Be committed to these word lists if you are wanting to improve your English Vocabulary.
=> https://www.majortests.com/word-lists/
They contain extremely useful words that you should be able to use fluently in sentences if learnt properly.

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:06:22 pm »
Be committed to these word lists if you are wanting to improve your English Vocabulary.
=> https://www.majortests.com/word-lists/
They contain extremely useful words that you should be able to use fluently in sentences if learnt properly.
Thanks.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 08:09:43 pm »
+5
Hello AN,
Thanks.

If you're wanting to expand your vocabulary, I'd encourage you to learn it in a 'text-specific' manner. For example, for whatever you are studying for text response, try and find some scholarly reviews or online articles that use unfamiliar vocabulary. If any of the vocabulary appeals to you, compile it in a word document, and try and imbed it into a sentence. This active process of using and appreciating the word will make it easier for you to retain it in the future. Good luck!
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:25:44 pm »
+1
Hello AN,
Thanks.

I know some people use vocabulary lists but I felt they didn't always target very useful words and at times you would have to try hard to shoehorn them in.

As clarke54321 has mentioned there are a few ways to expand your vocabs for your specific texts - a good way I found was to write essays and when you finished reflect on what words you used well (keep them) and what words were overused (find sophisticated synonyms). Also reading others students essays could be a good way to learn structure along with learn more targeted vocab.

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:08:23 pm »
Agree with clarke54321 and Lear! It's always a good idea to make the vocab you're learning somewhat specific to your texts so you can use it in your work. Personally, while writing essays, I'd asterisk the words that I reused too frequently or wasn't 100% satisfied with, and then came back to them at the end and use an online thesaurus or something to brainstorm alternatives. Then I'd make an effort to remember as many of these as possible and actively use them in my next piece. The more you can challenge yourself to use these words you're finding, the easier it will become and you can definitely build up a great range by the end of the year/unit!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:14:59 pm »
I think you mean Sine ;)
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 11:35:10 pm »
I think you mean Sine ;)

I certainly do :P Don't know what I was thinking there!!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

guac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:48 pm »
Hey TheIllusion,

just to tack on to what's already been discussed -

expanding your vocabulary is great, but before you commit to doing so, please do keep in mind that using words with a lot of syllables won't necessarily improve the 'sophistication' of your essays. As you work on your vocabulary, also try to work on increasing the overall fluidity, pacing, and cohesiveness of your writing. If you only try to throw long, uncommon and/or esoteric words into your essays, it will stick out like Will Ferrel in Elf and make your writing feel awkward and forced, when what you want is natural and, well, unforced.

To improve, the best thing that you can do is to get your hands on as much quality written material as possible. Whether it be sample essays, works of fiction or famous speeches, just try to expose yourself to good writing and absorb as much of it as you can. Perhaps, to help you remember new or unfamiliar words, it might be handy to keep a notes folder in your phone/computer with all of the words that you learn in your readings, along with a self written definition. This will certainly help you expand your vocabulary more efficiently.

As an aside, don't feel like you need to have an amazing vocabulary in order to do well. Mine is also quite ordinary, but I made up for it by focusing on the quality of my ideas and being genuine in what I wrote. These two attributes are just as important, if not more.
Guac puts a maths tutor in your pocket.
Chat to a verified, high achieving tutor anytime, anywhere. Ask about anything, from homework problems to difficult concepts.

7 day free trial, no credit card needed so you can get asking instantly: guactutor.com

Only available on iPhones (Android and tablets are coming!)

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »
Thanks for your response guac, it is very useful information.
 :D