Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:19:49 pm

Author Topic: Bio Question  (Read 1209 times)  Share 

jashaan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Bio Question
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »
Hi there, I was wondering whether someone could please explain and answer the following:

Atraine is a chemical commonly used as a weed killer. It is absorbed by roots from the soil. In the leaves, it attaches to a protein called D1, which is a part of the electron transport chain (ETC) used to generate ATP during photosynthesis. It blocks the movement of electrons along this chain.
a. Which phase of photosynthesis is disrupte by atrazine
b. ATP is not a final product of photosynthesis. What happens to the ATP normally produced in the ETC?
c. Atrazine travels in the transpiration stream. What is the transpiration stream?
d. Hot weather enhances the affects of atrazine. Suggest why this could be the case?

Thank you!!

P.S. Do we need to know as VCE students, what stages light dependent and indepdent reactions go through? I understand we need to know that photosynthesis has two stages. Is it just me who thinks the question is too complex and doesn't belong to the VCE study design, or am i missing out on some major info?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Bio Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
+4
Hi there, I was wondering whether someone could please explain and answer the following:

Atraine is a chemical commonly used as a weed killer. It is absorbed by roots from the soil. In the leaves, it attaches to a protein called D1, which is a part of the electron transport chain (ETC) used to generate ATP during photosynthesis. It blocks the movement of electrons along this chain.
a. Which phase of photosynthesis is disrupte by atrazine
b. ATP is not a final product of photosynthesis. What happens to the ATP normally produced in the ETC?
c. Atrazine travels in the transpiration stream. What is the transpiration stream?
d. Hot weather enhances the affects of atrazine. Suggest why this could be the case?

Thank you!!

P.S. Do we need to know as VCE students, what stages light dependent and indepdent reactions go through? I understand we need to know that photosynthesis has two stages. Is it just me who thinks the question is too complex and doesn't belong to the VCE study design, or am i missing out on some major info?

What do you think, first?

You don't get much out of copy-pasting questions here and having people answer them.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

jashaan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:37 am »
What do you think, first?

You don't get much out of copy-pasting questions here and having people answer them.

Hey!
I have already attempted this many times. I have made some connections, however I still needed some help, thats why i needed to type this out and get some advice on how to go on about this question. Even advice on whether this question is a neccessary part of the VCE study design would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:04 am »
Hey!
I have already attempted this many times. I have made some connections, however I still needed some help, thats why i needed to type this out and get some advice on how to go on about this question. Even advice on whether this question is a neccessary part of the VCE study design would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

What specifically are thse connections? Is this for 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 bio? Its important to have a go yourself.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

jashaan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:24 pm »

What specifically are thse connections? Is this for 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 bio? Its important to have a go yourself.
This is 3/4 Bio. Well, I believe that the light depedent stage is the photosynthesis phase that gets interrrupted. But the question seems like its going into too much detail for 3/4 bio as it mentions the electron transport chain in photosynthesis, which my textbook did not really cover. I just need some help. I know VCE bio does not work in the way of just asking for answers, but I am just asking for some advice on how to go on about the question, because i am confused. thanks.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:42:27 pm »
+2
This is 3/4 Bio. Well, I believe that the light depedent stage is the photosynthesis phase that gets interrrupted. But the question seems like its going into too much detail for 3/4 bio as it mentions the electron transport chain in photosynthesis, which my textbook did not really cover. I just need some help. I know VCE bio does not work in the way of just asking for answers, but I am just asking for some advice on how to go on about the question, because i am confused. thanks.
You are correct in thinking that you don't need to know the electron transport chain in depth, all you really need to know is that it exists as part of the light dependent reaction (as far as I am aware)
While this question does mention the electron transport chain, you don't need to know anymore than what is stated in the question stem. It states that the chemical atrazine disrupts the protein D1 of the electron transport chain and hence prevents the correct function of the ETC.
You should know that the ETC is part of the light dependent reaction, and thus the chemical atrazine would prevent this stage.
For part b, you need to understand that ATP is an input of the light independent reaction.

For parts C and d you need to understand transpiration from units 1 and 2. I can't remember it all very well, so I won't try and explain it.

Hope this helps with your confusion.  :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

jashaan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 02:52:33 pm »
You are correct in thinking that you don't need to know the electron transport chain in depth, all you really need to know is that it exists as part of the light dependent reaction (as far as I am aware)
While this question does mention the electron transport chain, you don't need to know anymore than what is stated in the question stem. It states that the chemical atrazine disrupts the protein D1 of the electron transport chain and hence prevents the correct function of the ETC.
You should know that the ETC is part of the light dependent reaction, and thus the chemical atrazine would prevent this stage.
For part b, you need to understand that ATP is an input of the light independent reaction.

For parts C and d you need to understand transpiration from units 1 and 2. I can't remember it all very well, so I won't try and explain it.

Hope this helps with your confusion.  :)

Thank you so much!!! Helped me out a lot :)