Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:47:54 am

Author Topic: Can I start chinese SLA unit 1&2 in year 11? Am I TOO LATE?  (Read 1126 times)  Share 

wowiamstressed

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Can I start chinese SLA unit 1&2 in year 11? Am I TOO LATE?
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:12:59 pm »
Hey everyone, first time posting, because I held this confusion for a very long time.
I am currently in year 10.
So I did 2 weeks of unit 1&2 last month at a sunday school, I immediately begged my parents to cancel the classes afterwards. Because I HATED the teacher and the atmosphere, also it was pretty far from my house. (ALSO my parents all agree the textbook materials are old fashioned) yes, it's my fault for being picky, but she's a typical Chinese teacher. Anyway, I wanted to restart unit 1&2 Chinese next year in year 11 at another place, but I am afraid it's too late since most students does LOTE SLA early so they can focus another things in yr 12.
PS I am not aiming for a high 90 ATAR as I am doing design courses.
Thank you. :)

jborn007

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Can I start chinese SLA unit 1&2 in year 11? Am I TOO LATE?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:09:22 am »
Hey everyone, first time posting, because I held this confusion for a very long time.
I am currently in year 10.
So I did 2 weeks of unit 1&2 last month at a sunday school, I immediately begged my parents to cancel the classes afterwards. Because I HATED the teacher and the atmosphere, also it was pretty far from my house. (ALSO my parents all agree the textbook materials are old fashioned) yes, it's my fault for being picky, but she's a typical Chinese teacher. Anyway, I wanted to restart unit 1&2 Chinese next year in year 11 at another place, but I am afraid it's too late since most students does LOTE SLA early so they can focus another things in yr 12.
PS I am not aiming for a high 90 ATAR as I am doing design courses.
Thank you. :)
Hey wowiamstressed, I feel and understand your situation, and I too will have asked my parents to cancel the classes if I was in your situation. It is definitely recommended to do Units 1&2 before 3&4, especially in LOTE (it will really help you with essay writing and 考试技巧). You definitely can start SLA Units 1 & 2 next year. What other subjects are you planning to undertake in the following years? Some subjects can be undertaken as a 3/4 without 1/2 eg. Biology, bus man etc. so you may want to also take that into consideration. Ultimately, it is ur decision and just because other people are doing SLA 1 year earlier doesn't necessarily mean u have to "follow" them.
Good luck with ur chinese studies!!! :)

wowiamstressed

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Can I start chinese SLA unit 1&2 in year 11? Am I TOO LATE?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:16 pm »
Hey wowiamstressed, I feel and understand your situation, and I too will have asked my parents to cancel the classes if I was in your situation. It is definitely recommended to do Units 1&2 before 3&4, especially in LOTE (it will really help you with essay writing and 考试技巧). You definitely can start SLA Units 1 & 2 next year. What other subjects are you planning to undertake in the following years? Some subjects can be undertaken as a 3/4 without 1/2 eg. Biology, bus man etc. so you may want to also take that into consideration. Ultimately, it is ur decision and just because other people are doing SLA 1 year earlier doesn't necessarily mean u have to "follow" them.
Good luck with ur chinese studies!!! :)
Hi jborn007:
Thank you so much for answering my concerns & it definitely made me to rethink about my decision.
I am planning to do all the “marked-down” subjects, involves with art & design. I think there won’t be “too” much on my plate compare to other typical students who does a lot of maths/science subjects. Once again, thank you :)