Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 03:31:45 am

Author Topic: Free AOS essay Marking!  (Read 182094 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free AOS essay Marking!
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »
this site is so great, i appreciate all the time taken to mark these essays, would you be able to have quick look at mine please
concerns :
analysis
does my essay actually make sense
how strong is my discovery component ?
this is my AOS discovery component for standard english

Hey Tahmina! Thanks so much for posting your essay, and welcome to the forums!!  ;D thanks also for your kind words, we blush  :-*

Unfortunately we do have a condition on essay marking: You need 5 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay you'd like marked. So 15 posts qualifies you for 3 essays, 50 qualifies you for 10, etc etc  ;D the full rules on essay marking you can find at the link in my signature (the bit of writing just below this one)  :D

So, you just need to hang around the site a bit to get a few more posts! Won't take you long, you can start by popping in and saying hey at our HSC 2016 Discussion Thread, otherwise, hang around and ask some questions for your subjects, or anything you like! Then just pop back into this thread and let us know when you hit the limit  ;D

Be sure to private message me if you need some help with anything on the forums!  :D

likeneverbefore

• Adventurer
  • Finding will to studyyy
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
HI there (finally found the right place to post ;D)

If its not too much trouble could you please have a look at my discovery essay.

I think my main problem is not having a sustained argument and enough links to discovery hmmm...

please rip it apart hahha

Thank you so much! Appreciate your time :)

jack

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2016, 12:10:13 am »
this site is so great, i appreciate all the time taken to mark these essays, would you be able to have quick look at mine please
concerns :
analysis
does my essay actually make sense
how strong is my discovery component ?
this is my AOS discovery component for standard english

Hey there Tahmina! Thanks heaps for getting your post count up, so happy to see you benefitting from the forums! Your essay is attached in the spoiler below, my comments are in bold throughout!  :D

Spoiler
One cannot experience a discovery without being transformed by its ramifications. The impact of discoveries, whatever aspect or shape they make take, will undoubtedly transform the discoverer and consequently the wider society around them. This is a great Thesis! Excited to see what you do with it. Australian playwright Michael Gow’s “Away Written” and Joshua Weigel’s short film “The Butterfly Circus” explore the transformative and revelatory nature of discovery. I love that you've introduced the concept first and then the text second;  really sets up the conceptual drive well. The following texts explore the impact of discoveries through the anagnorisis of its protagonists. Be careful with language there; you've already introduced the texts. Just say "These texts explore..." The underlying nature of self-discovery, as presented by both texts, is that it has a transformative effect on individuals, ultimately leading to their greater depth of self-awareness and empathy towards members of the wider society. I think you can tidy the expression of that last sentence a tad, remove unnecessary words and just be succinct: "The texts explore the underlying transformative effect of discoveries, which ultimately leads... etc etc." That said, this is a great introduction! Just a few little expression qualms, and I'd also like to see a list of what ideas will be covered in the following paragraphs, but on the whole not much to fault!!

The transformative nature of discovery is demonstrated through relationships, which can be mended through reconciliation and communication. This concept is great, but I think the wording focuses on relationships more than Discovery, might be worth shifting the focus a little. In Michael Gow’s play Gwen’s language reflects her growth in understanding of herself and others, whilst being shaped by the great depression. Example? Jims anaphoric and truncated statement to Meg ‘it was money, it was bread, work’ emphasizes the harsh reality of their past. Great use of technique, but remember, you don't need to tell me things like who the statement was said to, I only really want the technique and what it shows me about discovery! Gwen has plans that were ‘for all of us, the personal pronoun of ‘us’ reaffirms her spiritual connection with her family. Make sure you use quotation marks correctly for all your quotes, double quotes for textual references. Jim admired the way she clung to those values but she has become an angry women. This is explicit at the school concert when she complained about the ‘musical’, her confronting attitude to the missing keys is shown in her colloquial language and capitalism of “No’ in “no I gave them to you’, exemplifying her arrogance and a reaffirmation of her provocative characteristic directed to Jim through the second person ‘you’. You are shifting into what is called "textual retell": You are telling me what happened in the text, and although you are explaining along the way, you don't need these plot details. Give me the quote and how it relates to Discovery, then move on. The dramatic irony of ‘snide’ and ‘rude’ directed at Meg, becomes a depiction towards herself, as tangible nature of misconception is reflective of her own self assumptions. Gwen undergoes a change due to several catalysts during the process of the play. Are we going away from the main point of the paragraph? If so, have you considered splitting this section? Her exaggeration in the negative word ‘burst’ in ‘my heads about to burst’ is her curiosity at deflecting megs personal challenge, whilst she is going through heartfelt emotions and being physically disturbed by confronting news of Tom. Again, unnecessary plot detail, but also, keep in mind you don't need to give me the whole quote if you don't need to: The word itself is enough. This affirms her widely held assumptions and beliefs about the aspects of human experiences and the world. Towards the end of the play she affirms the importance of transformation and self-discovery. This is depicted through the alliteration of soft ‘w’ in ‘come on down to the water, the waters so warm’ conveys her nurturing attitude towards her relationships, the symbolism of the ‘water’ connects the motif of water towards her self-discovery, cleansing and healing the soul and the rebirth of her relationships. Be sure to properly conclude each paragraph. This could be something simple like: "Thus, it is clear how...

Similar to the chaos of life, many discoveries made by individuals are sudden and unexpected. This instigates the process of self-reflection and awareness. Very cool! However, be sure to make the link to the text(s) before you begin the analysis. I'm unsure which text you are referring to in the next sentence. The ‘play within the play’ creates a metaphor for intellectual self-discoveries, seen through Tom who is able to reveal to his family and community that he is aware of and has accepted imminent death. Contrasted with colloquial language and duologue ‘ they don’t know that I know’ exemplifies tom’s awareness of his cancer. Thus showing the audience _______ about the nature of unexpected discoveries? These sorts of links to discovery are important, and this is the missing link for you right now. The allusion of tom playing the Shakespearean character of ‘puck’ is significant as it highlights his mischievousness and not disposing of the truth. Ensure character names are capitalised. However Toms symbolic metaphorical and repetitive dialogue with the ghostly sailor ‘I’m drowning, I’m drowning’ highlights the pressure tom is under in learning to cope and deal with his terminal illness while keep the pretense of everything is ‘ok’ for his parents. Fantastic textual reference, but again, how does this link to Discovery? Similarly, ‘The Butterfly Circus’ references Wills transformation through the frequent use of butterfly imagery emphasizing the positive and spiritual change that renews his perception of life. Juxtaposed with the driven symbolism of the dimming light reflected at a mid shot of Will compels his inability to make physical change. Great references here, but again, what does this show us about discovery? The frequent change in diegetic music becomes confronting when the community ‘mocks’ Will for his disability. The close up shot of Mendez’s face is provocative as he is disgusted by the reaction of the community juxtaposed with the close up of Wills face evaluates the tangible nature of his heartfelt emotions. I like these references to the audience reaction, more of this! Mendez becomes a character that helps Will overcome his fears and to ‘follow his dreams’, the long shot of the road gives a clear indication of Wills self-discovery leading to new worlds and values. You explained the importance of techniques really well for this text, if you related it to Discovery more explicitly it would work so well!

One’s discovery can vary according to the different personal and social contexts in which the individual is able to experience them. What about the discovery can vary? How it is catalysed? The effects it has? Demonstrated in Gow’s play through the wilderness of the storm, symbolizing the negative attitudes and possessions being washed away, their isolation on the beach prompts introspection and questioning of their previous understandings. This leads as new understandings is reaches, their physical isolation in the storm becomes symbolic of their personal isolation. That sentence doesn't quite read correctly, could be worth revisiting? Contrasted with the three families coming together after the storm to a campfire, the fire symbolizes a new start as there past is being washed away. What does the audience learn from this? The symbolism of ‘burnt’ acknowledges their renewal of perceptions of themselves and others. Similarly in ‘the butterfly circus’ the use of flashbacks establishes each characters personal discovery and their inability of transforming being washed away. Ensure text names are capitalised. In the wilderness river scene, Will is left alone with his own sense of help, Mendez shows his capabilities through letting him ‘drown’ in the river. Technique? Remember, without a technique, you are retelling and not analysing, which is nowhere near as powerful. The symbolism of the water is reminiscent of his ability to swim without any limbs, representing of cleansing of his past to reaffirm his self-discovery. A close up shot of Will configures the relief and emotions through his face as he acknowledges his self-discovery and rediscovering his lost priorities. In the very last scene we see a close up of wills face, filled with excitement and proudness as he is being approached with the community who is impressed with his transformation.

Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something for the first time or rediscovering something that has been lost, forgotten or concealed. Through the authentic techniques used by both director and playwright highlight the human nature of reality and the ramifications, which differ from different perspectives. They underline the notion of discovery to stimulate a profound response upon the audience whilst portraying the notion of ramifications. A nice conclusion, however, it doesn't re-enforce your Thesis!! Remember, the conclusion must tie everything together, it should tie back to the start of your essay very explicitly  :)

This is a great essay Tahmina!! I'm really impressed with your Thesis, it is absolutely stellar, and you show great textual knowledge with lots of great examples and techniques  :D great work on those counts!  ;D

To your concerns! First, I think your essay does indeed make sense, and for the most part is well structured!! I think your first paragraph goes slightly off track, but besides that, the structure works really well both within each paragraph and for the essay as a whole! Just remember to add a conclusion to every paragraph  :D

Analysis is definitely an area for you to devote some time for improvement. For effective textual analysis, you need to go to TEA:

Technique: Technique and quote
Explain: What the composer wants to say about Discovery
Audience: What the audience learns about Discovery from the technique used by the composer

This highlights an important point; the composer is key to your analysis!! The first easy change you can make to your essay is adapting your language: The character should never receive credit for use of a technique, that credit lies with the composer. The character is just their puppet to manipulate in order to create meaning.

So, instead of saying: Jims anaphoric and truncated statement to Meg ‘it was money, it was bread, work,’,
Say: The composer's use of truncated anaphoric phrases, "It was money, it was bread, work,  shows the audience _____

Notice how I credit the composer not the character, and set myself up to explain what the audience learns about discovery immediately  :D

In general, your techniques are great, but the Explain/Audience parts could do with some improvement. Go through and be sure to specify how the technique shows something about discovery. Not only will this improve your analysis, but also improve how well your essay flows, how well your argument is organised, and more  :D

This would be the main change I'd suggest. There are others, to do with things like expression (being a little more succinct) and structure (ensuring all your ideas throughout the response tie together properly, particularly in the conclusion), but analysis is definitely where you should focus your efforts for now!!  ;D

I don't like giving specific marks out (I'm under qualified, aha!), but I'd say this would be sitting on about 10-11/15. It's purely that analysis that needs work, because fixing that will fix practically everything else!!  ;D

I hope this feedback helps you Tahmina! I'd love to see you take the essay away, work on it for a while and then bring it back for a second set of feedback!  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2016, 12:45:27 am »
HI there (finally found the right place to post ;D)

If its not too much trouble could you please have a look at my discovery essay.

I think my main problem is not having a sustained argument and enough links to discovery hmmm...

please rip it apart hahha

Thank you so much! Appreciate your time :)

jack

Hey Jack! Thanks for posting your essay! It's attached below inside a spoiler, with comments throughout in bold. I hope the feedback helps!!  ;D

EDIT: This feedback is not yet complete, got distracted by Wimbledon and need to get some rest, will be finished as soon as possible!

ANOTHER EDIT: After a sudden final burst of energy, feedback complete! Hope it helps, I'm off to bed now  ;)

Spoiler
‘Discoveries can open new ways of understanding the world’. In what ways is this shown in your core text and TWO related texts of your choosing?

Discovery is by nature paradoxical, having the potential to empower and enlighten individuals and society, while raising difficult questions about moral responsibility and humanity’s place in the world. Haha, that Thesis made me smile, well expressed and very clever. I'd like another sentence on it though, flesh it out a little more! Bryson’s non-fiction account “A Short History of Nearly Everything” provokes us to develop a more nuanced understanding of the nature and course of scientific discovery, culminating in a call to action to protect our fragile planet. In contrast, Margaret Atwood explores discovery as integral to identity in her metaphysical poem “Journey to the Interior”, where her confronting “Interior” discovery challenges the value of self-exploration. In his post-modern poem “Brief thoughts on a test-tube”, Miroslav Holub castigates humanity’s neglect of the unethical impacts of its discoveries in sight of greater scientific understandings. Excellent introduction of texts here, good summary of their Discovery ideas. These representations provide valuable insights into the complexity of discovery and provoke readers in their call for awareness and action. Fantastic introduction! I'd like to see the final sentence tie to the question a little more, as well as a sentence identifying the topics of your following paragraphs in some way. Besides these points, absolutely fantastic!  :D

Bryson provokes our understanding of discovery, portraying it as embodying our “divine and felonious” nature. With your paragraphs, try to start with something more conceptual. Usually, we start with a concept then tie the text into the concept with the second sentence. With a comedic introduction and self-contained linear vignettes emerging from Bryson’s “quiet but insistent urge to know a little”, he was motivated for an admirable “three years “of study to enlighten us layman colloquially with the “good stuff” of science. His determination to understand is comparable to curious characters such as Marie Curie and her “devoted and unwittingly high-risk work” in her confronting encounter on the pernicious effect of “radioactivity”. Although Curie was deservingly “awarded the Nobel prize “, Bryson challenges the benefits of her findings as they ironically formed the basis of today’s ruinous nuclear weaponry. Good contextual link to modern audiences; try and be a little more explicit about that! Contrastingly, Bryson also reveals that scientific discoveries are often inspired by more base desires due to their euphemistic “commercial potential”, as evident in Midgley’s discovery of the toxic “tetraethyl lead”. I can see how you are linking to the two-sided argument you presented at the start. While the discovery fixed “engine knock”, Bryson’s appalled tone highlights the “embarrassing profitability” that overrode any evaluation of its lethal potential. He humanises science in his judicious selection of striking personalities linked only by their intense efforts, their discoveries opening new ways of understanding our world, however they do not all offer positive impacts on humanity. Nice conclusion! This paragraph has some great textual references here, good use of techniques and quotes, but I think your links to Discovery can be more explicit. Be sure to specifically say how each quote/technique is relevant to Discovery and to the reader!

Contrastingly, Atwood explores discovery as prompted by metaphysical necessity for growth and identity, however, warns of the dangers associated with self-discovery. In this case, this works well, since you introduce the text and concept together. Just NEVER go straight into a text without some kind of rich conceptual background like you have here. Atwood provokes for a deeper knowledge of self, beyond society’s two-dimensional perceptions portrayed in the simile “flat as a wall” and into the endless span of the symbolic “prairies” of the mind. The extended metaphor of her Canadian landscape conveys the multifarious layers of self-discovery, dependent on the individual’s potential to create or remould past perceptions. Absolutely fantastic analysis here. However, mirroring her central motif of being without direction “line on a map…no destination”, the unnatural imagery of “shoe among brambles” forms a multilayered view of self-discovery as both pervasive and at times fearful in its untamed nature. Consequently, she ironically challenges the destructive potential of self-depressive thoughts, depicting the mind as a metaphorical “vacant wilderness” in juxtaposition to the previous euphonic “prairies”, where her renewed understanding is evident in the realisation that “it is easier to lose my way…here”. The break of syntax in the absence of a period suggests the limitless capacity for new understandings of self,  however Atwood condemns not all self-discoveries are valuable in the double entendre of the metaphorical “paring knife” of new knowledge, where its deathly connotations bears the questioning of its worth. I'd like to see a more conclusive sentence to finish, but this is a bloody brilliant paragraph. Try and develop it even further by discussing the impact on the audience a little more explicitly (anything resonate particularly well with our context?

Bryson is didactic in his call for a re-evaluation of the difficult questions about humanity’s moral responsibility. Reflecting today’s controversial issue of climate change, Bryson distils Earth to a humorous exaggeration of an estate-like advertisement to highlight our oxymoronic “awfully lucky” existence in view of humanity’s statistical insignificance as a species, making up of only “0.01 percent of Earth’s history”. Fantastic work here, but technique? However, despite humanity’s physical vulnerability, he parallels our capacity for paradoxical “dangerous beauty” in the vignette of Rothschild’s “natural history factory” that ironically sacrificed “over two million specimens”, revealing the confronting truth of human’s “erratic” behaviour. Similarly, Bryson derogatorily characterises Bryan as “ruthless”, shocked at his shooting of the last black mamos in “joy”, reinforcing the “divine and felonious” nature of humans and the destructive and unethical impacts of our discoveries. More fantasticalness - Adding some audience impacts throughout, considering how our perceptions of discovery have been altered, with elevate you even further. Consequently, Bryson is didactic in his request for greater moral awareness and responsibility in his urgent anaphora of “One planet, one experiment”. Further, Bryson’s inclusive pronoun prose “we” creates a sense of both individual and collective responsibility in making sure “we never find the end” of the privilege existence on Earth. Bryson’s call for action provokes the readers to question moral dilemmas arising from the destructive potential of scientific discoveries. Fantastic work in this paragraph, I don't have much to critique at all!

Holub condemns mankind’s refusal to acknowledge the destructive potential of new knowledge. The free verse poem explores the new phenomenon of “test-tube” science through dystopic lens, where unlike Bryson, he ironically simplifies the creation of life as “You take a bit of fire, a bit of water…you mix it”, parodying the scientific method with repetitive imperatives, the solitary scientist becomes a symbol for humanity’s single aim for scientific knowledge. That sentence was a bit of a mouthful, I'd split it in half. Also, a technique for that quote? However, as a science poet, he raises the ethical dilemma heightened by humanity’s seek for Promethean-like powers, revealing his moral questioning of whether these breakthroughs are characterised as “progress” or are regressive. I'm noticing just a few syntax/expression issues throughout the response, which I'll mention now in response to "seek", which should be "search." Nevertheless, Holub is aware that many of his peers are deaf to the cries of ethicists, amplified in the assertion “that’s the point, not to hear”, condemning the insular nature of science abandons any ethical concerns in its addiction for new understandings. Further, the clever double entendre embodied in the title “Brief thoughts” suggests the rash and inadequate consideration of the moral ramifications while highlighting it only takes a “moment” for humans to become an expendable commodity. Holub is didactic in his call for a re-evaluation of our pursuit for scientific understandings, the repeated imperative “you” provokes the readers at a personal level to realise we are all in the metaphorical “test-tube” of life. Definitely needs a more conclusive finish again here, but wonderful yet again.

The writers’ judicious selection of examples successfully embodies the paradoxical nature of discovery in their effective representations, unified in a call for a re-evaluation of humanity’s role. I think there should be a conceptual sentence before this one; setting up the conceptual drive of your essay again before delving into the texts, just like your Thesis. While Bryson explores physical destruction arising from scientific discoveries motivated by curiosity and greed, Atwood offers a metaphysical aspect into discoveries sparked by inner necessity for identity and their capacity for mental destruction. Similar to Bryson’s didactic purpose for a re-evaluation of humanity’s role, Holub urges society to consider the morally ambiguous “test-tube” science, highlighting the unethical impacts that seem to regress human development. Although all three writers challenge the destructive potential of human discoveries, without these new understandings, irrelevant of their enhancing or destructive nature, our society would not have advanced to where it is today. Great conclusion on the whole, but I think it could link to the question a little more effectively.

This is an absolutely killer essay Jack, really superb. A very clever Thesis that is set up brilliantly, some fantastic textual references and quotes, and perhaps best of all, consistent links of the techniques to the discovery concept portrayed by the composer. You've handled a tough question fantastically: Brilliant!  ;D

My faults with this essay are small, but there are a handful. Before I get into them though (you did ask me to tear it apart right  ;)), just know that this is already absolutely stellar, and already going to perform really well in any scenario. So great work!  ;D

First, your structure needs a little bit of work. Conclusive sentences on your paragraphs should be more definitive, and your conclusion itself should tie to the original Thesis just that little bit more. It doesn't quite wrap up the question as well as I would like. Your introductory sentences on each paragraph could also do with some expansions: One sentence on concept, one on text, instead of just a single sentence doing both (just an idea). Just a few little tidy ups  :D

Second, I don't think your paragraphs are answering the question as effectively as they could be. Really, you just need to use your introduction/conclusion sentences a little more cleverly to link the concept you are discussing to "new ways of understanding the world." You already imply these connections, but be explicit for maximum effectiveness. Ensure that every paragraph is justified and answers the question directly.

Third, some slight expression issues. Be sure to read through your essay aloud and listen for areas where you go; "Hmm, that sounded funny." You can normally pick them up pretty quick this way   :D

Finally, to really extend yourself, challenge yourself to include the impact on the audience a little more often. You do it in places, I want to see even more  ;D

I hope this feedback helps Jack! As I said, this essay is already brilliant, some polish would make it even more exceptional  ;D you should definitely take it away and repost the edits, or even try making it fit another question? That would be a great challenge  8)

Awesome work Jack!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:12:01 am by jamonwindeyer »

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:11 am »
thank you so much, i will take on the advise... this will help me so much ! so thank youuu :) :) :)

likeneverbefore

• Adventurer
  • Finding will to studyyy
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 10:10:55 am »
I hope this feedback helps Jack! As I said, this essay is already brilliant, some polish would make it even more exceptional  ;D you should definitely take it away and repost the edits, or even try making it fit another question? That would be a great challenge  8)

Awesome work Jack!!  ;D

Hey Jamon

Thank you so much for the insightful comments and FOR STAYING UP SO LATE TOO :)!

hahaha yeah wimbledon has kept me away from studying hahaah (DID YOU WATCH FED'S COMEBACK?!?!) ;D

Thank you once again i really appreciate it! I am going to fix it up now :)

Jack

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2016, 10:20:59 am »
Hey Jamon

Thank you so much for the insightful comments and FOR STAYING UP SO LATE TOO :)!

hahaha yeah wimbledon has kept me away from studying hahaah (DID YOU WATCH FED'S COMEBACK?!?!) ;D

Thank you once again i really appreciate it! I am going to fix it up now :)

Jack

Legend! Definitely let me know if you need anything clarified in my feedback!  ;D

THAT COMEBACK WAS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!! I'd love to see Federer win this one last Wimbledon  ;D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2016, 05:21:28 pm »
hi I'm sorry to bother again, but this is my edited peace of discovery !
would be able to have a look again and see if its any better then previous.. would appreciate a lot

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »
Whenever we post our essay for marking, are we allowed to post 2 at a time (or more)?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 07:20:45 pm »
Whenever we post our essay for marking, are we allowed to post 2 at a time (or more)?

Sure! As long as you meet the "5 per essay" rule then you are all sweet, and we might stagger them if we have other people waiting on feedback, try and make sure other students don't experience an unusual delay ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 09:28:18 pm »
Sure! As long as you meet the "5 per essay" rule then you are all sweet, and we might stagger them if we have other people waiting on feedback, try and make sure other students don't experience an unusual delay ;D

Fantastic

If however you moderators are busy, then I'll have to do 1 at a time. If you aren't busy at all (and have a lot of spare time atm) then I'll send in 2-4 essays at once. Are you fine with that?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »
Fantastic

If however you moderators are busy, then I'll have to do 1 at a time. If you aren't busy at all (and have a lot of spare time atm) then I'll send in 2-4 essays at once. Are you fine with that?

To be honest, we are always busy, if you post 3 or 4 essays then expect about a week for us to get to them all  ;D even when the markers are on uni holidays, we are working on lectures or other free content for you guys, so we'll never have entire days for marking. All that said, post as many as you like! We are here to help in every way we can  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
To be honest, we are always busy, if you post 3 or 4 essays then expect about a week for us to get to them all  ;D even when the markers are on uni holidays, we are working on lectures or other free content for you guys, so we'll never have entire days for marking. All that said, post as many as you like! We are here to help in every way we can  ;D

Oh well, if I do post 2-4 essays all at once, then I'll have to do something while waiting for my essays to be marked (possibly work on another essay/creative and edit it thoroughly before resubmitting but to be honest, I don't know, we'll just have to see when the time comes)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2016, 12:39:24 am »
hi I'm sorry to bother again, but this is my edited peace of discovery !
would be able to have a look again and see if its any better then previous.. would appreciate a lot

Hey Tahmina! I'd definitely be happy to have another look, essay is attached as usual!  ;D

PS - While I remember, make sure to only post your essays once, and in the right spot! (AoS in this thread, and your Module essays over in the Standard thread)

Spoiler
One cannot experience a discovery without being transformed by its ramifications. The impact of discoveries, whatever aspect or shape they make take, will undoubtedly transform the discoverer and consequently the wider society around them. Australian playwright Michael Gows ‘away’ and Joshua Weigel short film ‘the butterfly circus’ explore the transformative and revelatory nature of discovery. Ensure that text names are capitalised. The following texts explore the impact of discoveries through the anagnorisis of its protagonists. With the edit you make to the next sentence, this one is irrelevant, I'd remove it entirely if I were you! These texts explore the underlying nature of self-discovery, that it has a transformative effect on individuals, ultimately leading to their greater depth of self-awareness and empathy towards members of the wider society. Fantastic intro! Not much to fault at all, but I'd still like to see a list of what topics you will be discussing in your paragraphs (EG - how physical relationships, sudden and unexpected nature of discoveries, and context, affect how the discoverer is transformed).

The transformative nature of self-discovery is demonstrated through physical relationships, which can be mended through reconciliation and communication. In Gows play the negative connotation “hate” in “I hate silly people” stated by Gwen depicts the human nature and her snobbish character, further implies to her unawareness of her own self-discovery. Slightly messy expression there, try "depicts the nature of her snobbish character, and further...". You also can just use the single word quotes and ditch the full version. The audience is able to empathize for the character as Gow portrays her as a stereotypical nagging mother as well allowing us to see the confrontations and assumptions made towards the wider society. Messy expression. Gows anaphoric and truncated sentence ‘it was money, it was bread, work’ emphasizes their harsh reality of their past, Gow effectively shows their transformative nature compared to their past. Good! Nice flow from technique, to example, to what is shows about the transformative nature of relationships. Through this the audience sees their tangible nature through the Great Depression and successfully enabling us to speculate about the future possibilities. Slightly messy expression. Gows use of personal pronoun of “us” through Gwen as she states “for all of us” reaffirms her spiritual connection with her family, as Gow confidently evaluates their hidden emotions towards each other. Good, but you don't need to say "through Gwen" (indeed, this sounds a little messy), just go straight to the quote, I don't even need to know which character said it! This enables the audience to realise the importance of communication when re-discovering themselves to renew perceptions of others and ourselves. You are frequently linking to what we as an audience learn about discovery, fantastic work. Gows effective use of irony through Gwen as she states ‘snide” and the negative connotation “rude” directed at Meg depicts her own-self. Again, don't say "through Gwen," you can just say "Gow's effective use of irony through negatively connotative words such as "snide" and "rude" depict.... This point is also a little unclear. Gow portrays her to be physically blaming others for her widely held assumptions and beliefs towards human experiences and the world. The irony puts the audience in an uncomfortable nature, also allowing us to see the process of challenges and curiosity to a person’s self-discovery. Thus it is clear Gows effective techniques explore the human nature of self-discovery and the process of re-discovering something, which has been lost. My primary issue with this paragraph is epitomised by your first and last sentence. Do they match? You haven't maintained a conceptual focus, you must stay on track!! The best indicator of this is your intro and conclusion, they should say the same thing, otherwise you have strayed from where you planned to stay.

Similar to chaos in life, many discoveries made by individuals are sudden and unexpected. This instigates the process of self-reflection and awareness in both texts. I'd like to see something like "thus showing the audience..." here, but good! In Gows play ‘away’ the use of exaggeration in the negative connotation ‘burst’ in “my heads about to burst” is evident of the first steps to Gwen’s self-discovery and re-discovering something that has been lost. Ensure text names are capitalised. Gows explicitness through the negative connotation allows the audience to see the heartfelt emotions, which deepens the understanding of the concept of discovery.Good. Through the end of the play, Gows use of soft alliteration of ‘w’ in ‘come down to the water, the water is so warm’ conveys Gwen’s nurturing attitude towards her relationships. You can make yourself a little more succinct throughout this essay, and the easiest way is just by streamlining your quotes. Here for example, just say: "Gows use of soft alliteration in "come down to the water..." The symbolism of the water connects the motif of water towards her self-discovery, thus being reflective of cleansing and healing the soul. Through this the audience is able to see the nature of unexpected discoveries and the distinguishing factors, which lead to a persons self-discovery. Great!  Similarly in the ‘butterfly circus’ the visual imagery of the butterfly emphasizes the positive and spiritual change that renews Will’s perceptions of life. Ensure text names are capitalised Juxtaposed with the driven symbolism of the dimming light reflected at a mid shot of Will compels his inability to make physical change. Slightly messy expression. Weigel’s effective technique utilizes variety of factors, which lead to the self-discovery of Will. Slightly messy expression. Also enhancing the audience’s assumption and beliefs for the future, as well stimulating new ideas to deepen new perceptions of others and ourselves. Slightly messy expression. The frequent change in diegetic music becomes confronting when the community ‘mocks’ Will for his disability. The close up shot of Mendez’s face is provocative as he is disgusted by the reaction of the community juxtaposed with the close up of Wills face evaluates the tangible nature of his heartfelt emotions. Mendez becomes a character that helps Will overcome his fears and to ‘follow his dreams’, the long shot of the road gives a clear indication of Wills self-discovery leading to new worlds and values. Through the effectiveness of both composers techniques it is clear discoveries can be confronting and provocative. Again, I think you should now turn your focus to ensuring that your conceptual focus is maintained. Your topic sentences do not match your conclusions!

One’s discovery can vary according to the different personal and social contexts in which the individual is able to experience them. In ‘Away” the wilderness beach settings symbolizes the negative attitude and possessions being washed away, their isolation on the beach prompts introspection and questioning their previous relationships. Gows driven symbolism allows the audience to take on new experiences and perceptions, and explore new discoveries within themselves. Fantastic! The effective symbolism of the Fire, when there all near a fire camp depicts a new start as there past has been washed away. This enhances the audiences understanding of the ramifications and that change is a progress, which leads to new discoveries. Gows symbolism of ‘Burnt” acknowledges their renewal perceptions of themselves and others. Similarly in ‘The butterfly Circus’ Weigel’s flashback establishes each characters personal discovery and their inability of transforming being washed away. Ensure text names are capitalised. Thus effectively evaluates that personal progress is a challenge, which needs to be confronted in order to re-discover yourself. Slightly messy expression. The symbolism of the water, when will falls in the wilderness river is seen being reminiscent of his ability to swim. This represents the cleansing of his past to affirm his self-discovery. Try to extend this symbolism beyond the character: What does it show about Discovery in general? This voyage is seen through the symbolism of the water to deepen the human understanding of physical discovery through challenges and reconciliation. Thus it is clear to re-discover yourself you are to challenge and affirm your human experiences in order to transform. Again, conclusions not matching introductions!

Discovery can encompass the experience of discovering something which will impact the themselves and the wider society. Through the authentic techniques used by both director and playwright highlights the human nature of reality and the ramifications, which differ from different perspectives. They underline the notion of discovery to stimulate a profound response upon the audience whilst portraying the notion of ramifications.

So in the last version I gave a few pointers, most obvious of which were:

- Add Conclusions
- Shift the focus to improve the sophistication of your analysis

Massive props to you, because you have done both of these! Your analysis is now much, much, much better than your last version, and the conclusions being there really improves the overall structure. Fantastic work on implementing those changes!!  ;D

Of course, my job as the marker is to keep giving you places to improve, and I have another two for you.

The first is something that has been accentuated by adding conclusions, and that is staying on track in your paragraphs. Basically, a topic sentence in a paragraph is like a contract! The topic sentence says, "Okay, this is what I will discuss, let's do this." My concern would be that you aren't fulfilling this contract, and your analysis doesn't actually backup what you claim it will very strongly. This is accentuated by your conclusions, which don't match your introductions. Your conclusions MUST match your introductions. Basically, your conclusion is like the follow up on the contract, saying "Right, this is what I discussed, I'm still on track, give me marks please."

My challenge to you is to take every sentence where you say "this shows the audience ______," and ask yourself, "Does it match with what you said you'd discuss in your introduction?" If not, adapt it, and once you have the whole paragraph matching, rewrite your conclusion to suit. Remember, the introduction is your sales contract, and your conclusion is your proof of delivery  ;)

This same logic can be applied to your Thesis and Conclusion paragraphs as well. I think yours do match, but the conclusion could be reworked slightly to make the link stronger, I'll leave it with you!

My second qualm is with expression. I really hate saying this as feedback, because I can't really suggest specific ways to fix it without, well, actually fixing it for you. I feel lazy by just saying "improve expression," it is my pet hate. The thing is, I know your ideas are there in this essay, and they are brilliant! However, at times they just aren't expressed in a way that is clear to the marker, it is making me "work" too hard to know where you are coming from. Keep reading through your piece, keep working on making your expression succinct and simple, I've suggested some changes in a few places. Again, please know that I feel bad just saying "expression" as feedback  :(

Those are my two main challenges for you!! This is absolutely of a higher standard than the previous work, climbing ever closer to that 15/15 essay, which is definitely within your reach!! Great work Tahmina, seriously great stuff  ;D

tahmina

• Forum Regular
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
thank youuu ! I've actually learnt a lot about structure through you! so thank you ! :)