Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:12:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread  (Read 155566 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:22 pm »
Hey 2016ers,

Here's a place for general discussion on the HSC :). Go for your life!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:19:32 pm by jamonwindeyer »
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Jimmy Barnes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Class of 2016 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
I'm genuinely curious, how many of you all actually manage to get work done on friday nights? Do you all do what I do, throw the bag on the floor and jump on the bed or do some of you possess those godly levels of motivation to sit down and go hard?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »
Hey all  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »
I'm genuinely curious, how many of you all actually manage to get work done on friday nights? Do you all do what I do, throw the bag on the floor and jump on the bed or do some of you possess those godly levels of motivation to sit down and go hard?

Speaking from the university perspective, I manage Friday nights (and I did in the HSC). My struggle is Saturday mornings, it takes me way too long to become productive after waking up, seriously costs me  :o

So don't stress, I feel the pain  ;)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »

Not HSC, but I don't see anything 'wrong' in taking a night off :) I always take Friday nights off; I think it's important to have a day to relax and reflect. Don't feel so guilty about it, it's normal! :)

Jimmy Barnes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:48 pm »
Speaking from the university perspective, I manage Friday nights (and I did in the HSC). My struggle is Saturday mornings, it takes me way too long to become productive after waking up, seriously costs me  :o

So don't stress, I feel the pain  ;)

Ahhhhh I feel you. The saturday mornings are the worst but I find if I just pack some food, water and study materials I can stick myself at a library. Then it doesn't matter if you're motivated or not, there is hands down nothing else to do.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
Not HSC, but I don't see anything 'wrong' in taking a night off :) I always take Friday nights off; I think it's important to have a day to relax and reflect. Don't feel so guilty about it, it's normal! :)

I'm with pi on this one. I honestly think that if I didn't have a break I'd burn out so fast :(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 10:58:47 pm »

Seriously I'd nearly always have a lazy Friday! If I had something on the weekend that meant I couldn't study I'd be pretty good on Fridays. I think the key is to designate Friday as your day off! It's so much better to actually enjoying an afternoon off rather than have that guilty feeling of "I should be studying.."
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:05 pm »
Seriously I'd nearly always have a lazy Friday! If I had something on the weekend that meant I couldn't study I'd be pretty good on Fridays. I think the key is to designate Friday as your day off! It's so much better to actually enjoying an afternoon off rather than have that guilty feeling of "I should be studying.."

Totally agree! My day off was always Saturday (Steph's work schedule demanded this), so I always needed to study Fridays (which 99% of the time was just terribly unproductive anyway)  ;)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:26 am »
+1
Being a proper Victorian, after work on a Friday I probably make it home by 7pm then screw around for 40 minutes until FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY m8.

Was similar in uni/high-school. Not a big one for Friday night study. Maybe from 5pm-7pm or something like that before a party, but Friday's always a good day to unwind before jumping back into it. Unless it's SWOTVAC. All bets are off in SWOTVAC
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:54:48 am »
+1

Forcing yourself to study on Friday nights like I do generally isn't really a good idea in my opinion. I have reasons for doing it.

But let me reinforce this. It's about finding study techniques that BEST SUIT YOU.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:56:56 am by RuiAce »

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:43 am »
+1

Totally agree with this. I used to really get serious bouts of 'study guilt' on Fridays for my lack of effective studying. Since the start of Year 12, I always take Friday off and spend it chillaxin - it's so great!
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 01:19:38 pm »
Being a proper Victorian, after work on a Friday I probably make it home by 7pm then screw around for 40 minutes until FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY m8

Except what you watch isn't football.

8)

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »
I have trials before the holidays...so thoughts on what I should do during the holidays both to relax and to get on top of my work?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 09:30:31 pm »
+2
I have trials before the holidays...so thoughts on what I should do during the holidays both to relax and to get on top of my work?

If your trials are on the last few weeks of school then for the 7 days following, you will not even want to do work. If you properly prepared for the trials, you will find that it was somewhat draining. And the exams throw you out of it.

So honestly take a break. After 7 days or so, you can resume your usual holiday studying methods for one week, then back to school for one last term.

[Personally, I did virtually no study (except for work the teachers gave, so rather no personal study) between the trial block and the last day of term 3 because I knew I had four weeks to gun out preparation for the real HSC]