Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 01, 2024, 01:10:46 pm

Author Topic: Comparative Language Analysis - Essay Structure  (Read 3685 times)  Share 

m9719

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Comparative Language Analysis - Essay Structure
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:29 pm »
What is the best method to follow for structuring the analysis when there is three or more articles/media texts?
2014: Accounting
2015: English | Literature | Methods | Economics | Italian

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Comparative Language Analysis - Essay Structure
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »
+4
I'll list a few below, however I don't think there is a 'best method' to approaching or structuring a language analysis. I think it's important to experiment with different approaches and find what works for you, then work to perfect it!

The first approach is to structure your essay by argument rather than the persuasive language technique (PLT). The aim is to identify 3-4 arguments that support the author's contention and identify PLTs that articulate the author's claim.

The second approach is to structure by article. In this case, your first paragraph will contain your analysis of the first article and you will finish with a leading sentence that links to article 2. In paragraph 2 you will do the same as paragraph 1. In the third paragraph you will do the same as the previous two, and then go on to compare article 3 with 1 and 2.

Alternatively, the third approach is technique based. You will write a topic sentence for each paragraph in which you will identify a/several PLTs. From there you will compare and contrast how each article uses it, examine similarities and differences, and consider the impact on the audience.

I'll assume you're comfortable with structuring your intro and conclusion, however if you would like me to go through that with you or expand on any of the structures I've listed in more depth, please feel free to message me or post a reply here.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Comparative Language Analysis - Essay Structure
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »
+2
Just building on this^

From an exam standpoint, the argument approach Coffee outlined is ideal. If you do get a comparative task, then it'll be way easier to transition between articles. And if you don't, then at least you have a more sophisticated approach than just starting from the beginning and working your way through. The author's structure shouldn't dictate yours!

Also, in my experience at least, the idea-level focus (or the key player method as I call it) enables better analysis anyway. You're still talking about the language devices, but you use them as supporting evidence rather than your sole source for discussion. Pieces in the exam that just read like long dot-point lists run together don't tend to score well, so the people who just annotate everything they can find, then try to put it all in their essay are unlikely to score as well as someone who has a good grasp on the overall arguments and how the language creates them.

For SACs though: the best approach is your teacher's recommended approach :)
Talk to them if you're unsure, and if they're flexible with whatever you want to do, then trial what feels most comfortable/familiar, or attempt something new if you think that'll better suit you :)