Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:02:00 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261955 times)  Share 

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2015, 01:26:56 pm »
sorry for draining it, but, with this dot point: 'The role of the United Nations (UN) in providing global health and sustainable human development through the following areas of action; world peace and security, human rights, humanitarian assistance and social and economic development.'

With the 'global health' bit, is that different to PMS??

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2015, 07:14:33 pm »
Hi, just wondering:

Do we need to know specific details about programs? eg. CARE mission and values

It all just seems a bit irrelevant but the study design dot point regarding NGOs is relatively broad

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2015, 09:01:10 am »
I'm struggling to get sustainable human development. Also, what type of questions can we expect involving SHD ?

^^ i just came across this question.

3.   Explain how improving the health of women in Haiti will impact on sustainable human development 

(it was part of a case study but it's pretty irrelevant anyway)
Yeah, in general the questions will be something like 'Explain how ____ will impact/promote SHD', and ____ can be basically anything.

SHD = health + HD + sustainability.  So to answer SHD questions, link to:
1. Health
2. HD
3. Sustainability
(and if it's 2-3 marks, or health has already been mentioned in the question, you can skip on the health bit).
So basically, link to PM&orS, then chunks from the HD definition, then throw in a sentence about sustainability: environmental, social, or economic, or link to the sust definition about meeting the needs of future generations without compromising the present.  How deep you go is based on the number of marks; it's generally anywhere from 2 to 6 marks.  If it's six marks, treat it like an interrelationships question, which you probably haven't done yet so ignore this.

sorry for draining it, but, with this dot point: 'The role of the United Nations (UN) in providing global health and sustainable human development through the following areas of action; world peace and security, human rights, humanitarian assistance and social and economic development.'

With the 'global health' bit, is that different to PMS??

Basically all dot points in U4 AOS 2 link to GH and SHD.  No, GH is different from health; it's
'The health of populations in a worldwide context that go beyond the perspective and concerns of individual countries.  Global health is about an international collaborative approach to achieving equity in health for all people worldwide.'
(And yes, they asked us to define this last year, which very few people got; that's why I recommend going through all the definitions in the Advice for Teachers glossary, like the NHPAs, Ottawa Charter or Social Model haven't been tested but could be.)

This is the one bit of the course I'm not 100% sure how to answer - I tended to link to health status indicators and then chuck in the phrases 'equity in health' and 'for all people worldwide' (which is like the below example, so I believe I did it correctly).  Because this is new to the SD last year, this is the only sample that VCAA has given us of an appropriate answer:

Q: Explain how the human right listed above [in this case, adequate food] impacts GH.
A: Having the right to adequate food will decrease malnutrition, thus decreasing the morbidity and mortality from malnutrition in populations worldwide. It will also increase people’s life expectancy, thus impacting on global health as it attempts to achieve equity in provision of food and health status for all people worldwide.

Hi, just wondering:

Do we need to know specific details about programs? eg. CARE mission and values

It all just seems a bit irrelevant but the study design dot point regarding NGOs is relatively broad
No, you don't; because they don't name a specific NGO and it's totally free for all, they're never ever going to test anything like this.  What I learnt for this was just the names of a few Aus-based NGOs, and about two programs (which, since it can overlap with the last dot-point of the SD, is very simple).
- Note, when I give advice to avoid learning unnecessary stuff, that sort of thing is the 'unnecessary' that heaps of people waste their time on.  Be smart about it.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »
No, you don't; because they don't name a specific NGO and it's totally free for all, they're never ever going to test anything like this.  What I learnt for this was just the names of a few Aus-based NGOs, and about two programs (which, since it can overlap with the last dot-point of the SD, is very simple).
- Note, when I give advice to avoid learning unnecessary stuff, that sort of thing is the 'unnecessary' that heaps of people waste their time on.  Be smart about it.

thanks!!!!
my teacher makes us do a lot of bullshit textbook questions lol

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:22 pm »
heeey,

I'm having a bit of trouble with interrelationship questions such as 'explain the interrelationship between health, HD and sustainability in relation to a literacy program'

Idk why I just freeze and get stuck on these and I have no clue where to start

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2015, 10:21:17 am »
+2
heeey,

I'm having a bit of trouble with interrelationship questions such as 'explain the interrelationship between health, HD and sustainability in relation to a literacy program'

Idk why I just freeze and get stuck on these and I have no clue where to start

Okey dokey.  They're actually not that hard once you know how, since it's just conglomerating all the easy 2-mark 'impact on health' and 'impact on SHD'!  Here's how I did it:

1.  Link program (or w/e) to health/HS.  Easy.  Outline impact of program on PMS or health status indicators.
2.  Link health + program to HD.  Basically say, if you're more healthy (as just shown) due to the program, then you can go to school/work and achieve HD!
3.  Link to sust.  If people have HD, they're more likely to pass knowledge on to future generations blah blah.  This link can be tricky, but as long as you use linking words and make it flow, you'll be fine. 
4.  Link program to sust.  Explain how program promotes economic/envrionmental/social sustainability.
5.  Link sust to health & HD - basically say that if it's sustainable, in the future people can achieve H & HD, because if it's not sustainable the impacts of this program will be limited etc.

Summary: Link
1.  Program -> health.
2.  Health -> HD
3.  HD and/or program -> sustainability.
4.  Sust -> future H & HD.

Write enough of this in enough detail (and underline the words 'sustainability', 'health' and 'human development' a couple of times throughout to prove to the examiner that you're box-ticking) and you'll be right.  Remember to quote specifics from the program at intervals, and use linking words (e.g. thus, hence, this leads to, through this).

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:44 pm »
+1
Okey dokey.  They're actually not that hard once you know how, since it's just conglomerating all the easy 2-mark 'impact on health' and 'impact on SHD'!  Here's how I did it:

1.  Link program (or w/e) to health/HS.  Easy.  Outline impact of program on PMS or health status indicators.
2.  Link health + program to HD.  Basically say, if you're more healthy (as just shown) due to the program, then you can go to school/work and achieve HD!
3.  Link to sust.  If people have HD, they're more likely to pass knowledge on to future generations blah blah.  This link can be tricky, but as long as you use linking words and make it flow, you'll be fine. 
4.  Link program to sust.  Explain how program promotes economic/envrionmental/social sustainability.
5.  Link sust to health & HD - basically say that if it's sustainable, in the future people can achieve H & HD, because if it's not sustainable the impacts of this program will be limited etc.

Summary: Link
1.  Program -> health.
2.  Health -> HD
3.  HD and/or program -> sustainability.
4.  Sust -> future H & HD.

Write enough of this in enough detail (and underline the words 'sustainability', 'health' and 'human development' a couple of times throughout to prove to the examiner that you're box-ticking) and you'll be right.  Remember to quote specifics from the program at intervals, and use linking words (e.g. thus, hence, this leads to, through this).

thank you so much! I love how you've put this in steps, screenshotted and saved, will be referenced very often!

idris

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Minaret College
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:54 am »
Hey guys, for mdgs. do you think its sufficient to know 2 purposes for each goal
and btw there was someone that stated that they have a structured formula for the ,sustainablity,hd,health question, so if u can pls pass it on, would be nice
ty

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »
Hey guys, for mdgs. do you think its sufficient to know 2 purposes for each goal
Yeah, probably - though maybe 1-2 more for MDGs 7 and 8, but not essential unless you've already learnt everything else.

and btw there was someone that stated that they have a structured formula for the ,sustainablity,hd,health question, so if u can pls pass it on, would be nice
ty
Scroll up two posts (to my last post), where there's an explanation - and then some more detail here.

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »
Hey, so whats the difference between a question that asks you to describe the inter-relationships between health HD and sustainability and a question that asks about sustainable human development??

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2015, 08:28:29 am »
Hey, so whats the difference between a question that asks you to describe the inter-relationships between health HD and sustainability and a question that asks about sustainable human development??

Tricky and debatable question.

2011 VCAA: Discuss the role education can play in achieving SHD. (6 marks)
VCAA's answer
Education is important in bringing about knowledge and awareness of the risk factors that contribute to disease and illness such as HIV/AIDS and increase the capacity of people to access preventative health measures, thus improving the level of health of individuals and the community by reducing morbidity and mortality.

With improved health see the link?people have the potential to attend school or participate in work that helps them lead productive lives and earn an income that helps provide a decent standard of living. This allows people to expand their choices, which enables them to participate in the life of their community and make decisions affecting their lives. Human development is achieved.

Through education, health is improved and the community has access to employment that contributes to economic sustainability.  Higher levels of employment create opportunities for investment in a healthy environment that ensures sustainable health and human development outcomes.
VCAA's comment: It is important the students do not just write the words 'sustainable human development' without showing how the parts are linked through the role of education.   The question was based on the dot point 'the interrelationships between...'

In other words: if it's 6 marks, I recommend using the interrelationships format, no matter what.  (You can probs focus less on interrelationships than if interrelationships were specified, but do it anyway to be safe).

If it's 3-4 marks, I'd simply describe the impact on health, HD and sust - but with practice, interrelationships almost naturally follow anyway, for instance, it's really easy to say 'healthy --> can attend school --> can achieve HD', or 'living productive lives in accord with needs/interests --> good mental health'.  Don't do headings, however (Health, HD and sust), as this misses the point that these work together to make one thing, SHD.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying my interrelationships formula is perfect; that's just how I did it, it always scored full marks, and other people have done other things equally successfully.

sunshine98

« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2015, 09:38:59 am »
when q asks about how a specific aid helps achieve global health , what words do I use to specify that I'm talking about global health rather than simply health?
Also another q-  I'm stuck with how to link emergency aid to global health and SHD?

Thanks  :)

girl1234

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2015, 09:35:41 pm »
+2
when q asks about how a specific aid helps achieve global health , what words do I use to specify that I'm talking about global health rather than simply health?

Thanks  :)

My teacher said to pull parts of the definition so saying things like health for all people worldwide, achieving equity in health etc. Or just making it clear it's more than just to the individual. (Just my advice :-) )

The definition is: The health of populations in a worldwide context that go beyond the perspectives and concerns of individual countries. Global health is about an international collaborative approach to achieving equity in health for all people worldwide.

Josegarang

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: St John's Regional College
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
I have my health sac tomorrow and I'm having trouble answering these questions
-Outline ways that the Australian Government provides aid to developing countries (not just funding)

-Elements of sustainable programs (not too sure what the elements are)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »
+2

Girl1234 is spot on :); here's the answer I gave last time:

GH is different from health, esp PMS; it's
'The health of populations in a worldwide context that go beyond the perspective and concerns of individual countries.  Global health is about an international collaborative approach to achieving equity in health for all people worldwide.'
(And yes, they asked us to define this last year, which very few people got; that's why I recommend going through all the definitions in the Advice for Teachers glossary, like the NHPAs, Ottawa Charter or Social Model haven't been tested but could be.)

This is the one bit of the course I'm not 100% sure how to answer - I tended to link to health status indicators and then chuck in the phrases 'equity in health' and 'for all people worldwide' (which is like the below example, so I believe I did it correctly).  Because this is new to the SD last year, this is the only sample that VCAA has given us of an appropriate answer:

Q: Explain how the human right listed above [in this case, adequate food] impacts GH.
A: Having the right to adequate food will decrease malnutrition, thus decreasing the morbidity and mortality from malnutrition in populations worldwide. It will also increase people’s life expectancy, thus impacting on global health as it attempts to achieve equity in provision of food and health status for all people worldwide.

Also another q-  I'm stuck with how to link emergency aid to global health and SHD?
First, do you think emergency aid is sustainable?

Then, how does EA contribute to improving health status and reducing inequality in health worldwide?

Semi-answers
It doesn't involve sustainable stuff like education or long-term infrastructure?  e.g. instead of building pumps that can be accessed for both current and future generations, or teaching them skills to increase crop production in the future, they're given bottles of water or packets of food which they eat and drink immediately.  Basically, it doesn't achieve SHD.

However it keeps people alive (think of specific ways like starvation, dehydration, death from spread of disease in crowded contaminated conditions, death from injury from a disaster that doesn't get treated) - GH as it reduces morbidity/mortality rates and promotes equity by keeping their HS decentish despite their inequity in circumstances (ie having a disaster).

I like to think of it as providing a platform for SHD/GH; basically, it keeps them alive so then they can build gh/shd, because if they're all dead they can't achieve these.  (Wow, that's a harsh/horrible way of putting it :( :P)

-Outline ways that the Australian Government provides aid to developing countries (not just funding)
- sends goods and services, like the necessary materials to build health clinics and schools, or nurses who can give immunisation or teach others to do so
- trains staff and improves management systems
- sends Australian advisers to help governments and businesses fix up their policies

Naturally any type of aid involves funding, but they also send materials and people.

-Elements of sustainable programs (not too sure what the elements are)
This is appropriate, affordable, equitable.

Example question

Tabitha Foundation Cambodia has developed a savings program in Cambodia.  Local community members
encourage families, targeting especially women and matriarchal families, to develop a vision of a better life
and join the savings program.
Each savings "cycle" lasts ten weeks. The savings are collected weekly by local community members and
returned with 10 percent interest at the end of the cycle. Before starting to save, each family decides what
they are saving for (their "dream") and is encouraged to purchase that item at the end of the cycle.
Saving the equivalent of 25 cents a week soon allows the purchase of life-transforming items such as a
water pot, a set of crockery, or clothes for the children. After several cycles, families save for income
producing items such as a fishing net, piglets, chickens, oxen, a watering can, or a bicycle to take produce
to market, etc.  Most families remain on the "Family Development through Savings Program" for about 7-8
years, after which they are able to support themselves.  It costs Tabitha $25 to support 1 family for 1 year
on the Family Development Program, funded by sponsors.

Using two examples that ensure sustainability of programs, evaluate the sustainability of this program.

Sample answers:
Affordability: as it is funded by sponsors (at low cost), all can afford to participate; it is affordable long-term as it generates money for participants so they can set themselves up without the program in a few years.
Equity: this program targets all, especially those in the greatest need including women and those in matriarchal families, so all can achieve improved economic stability.
Appropriateness: it is appropriate to each family's needs, as they are able to choose their 'dreams' to save for; the involvement of local community members increases its ability to target the community's needs.

Hope this helpsssss!