Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 12:04:36 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Essay Marking  (Read 129379 times)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
Re: English Standard Essay Marking
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2017, 12:09:38 am »
Hey Brenden and Jamon! :)

Here's my essay for Module C: Exploring Transitions. It would lovely if I could get it checked before the due date (10th Feb)... My own English teacher hasn't even started looking at it :( And I emailed it to her a while back... Oh well...

The essay question is provided in the header of the document. As well as, my concerns about the essay at the bottom of the document. :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:30:41 am by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2017, 01:03:04 pm »
hi can you mark or give me any tips for my discovery essay!

Hey there! Welcome to the forums - let me know if you need any help getting around :)
We do have a requirement of 15 ATAR Notes posts in exchange for a essay to be marked. But, I'm sitting at an airport right now and have some time to kill, so I'll take a quick look at your introduction to get you started. Then when you've built up your posts, feel free to pop back in for a full mark!

My comments are in bold:
A discovery can be defined as an individual’s progression in ascertaining new perspectives, knowledge and experiences. I like this definition! If you didn't word it yourself, then perhaps you should credit the source. If this is all your own words, bravo! The process of discovery has the power to transform individuals by confronting them with new or renewed ideas, understandings and perceptions of themselves and their world. Really strong sentence. The SBS documentary series Go Back To Where You Came From highlights a physical exploration where six participants gain new values and renewed perceptions. This sentence introduces the text, but it doesn't introduce any new ideas about discovery. I suggest that you pair it with something distinctly explored in Go Back, and then when you have your related text, you can draw comparisons in what they reveal about discovery. Through the process of discovery, the participants are confronted with realities faced by refugees and asylum seekers. This last sentence doesn't really do a lot - it doesn't undo the good work you've done, but I think you could be stronger with your words. When you have your related text, you'll need to introduce that in a sentence of its own. Then, your ending sentence could be something that links it to the essay question, or it could draw a close comparison of the two texts and what it brings to discovery.

Let me know what you think :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2017, 02:37:30 pm »
Hey Brenden and Jamon! :)

Here's my essay for Module C: Exploring Transitions. It would lovely if I could get it checked before the due date (10th Feb)... My own English teacher hasn't even started looking at it :( And I emailed it to her a while back... Oh well...

The essay question is provided in the header of the document. As well as, my concerns about the essay at the bottom of the document. :)

Hey Dalvin! I can give you a hand here :)

Maybe send through another email to your teacher in case it got lost in the holiday emails...but either way, here to help!
Thanks for your contribution and lovely presence around the forums - I've noticed you posting a lot and it's great to have you around :)
The comments are in the spoiler below (keep in mind I didn't study this module - so if any of my suggestions contradict what you've been told let me know so that I can improve my feedback...but we should be fine!)
Spoiler
Essay question: How do the texts explore individual’s transitions into a new phase of life and social context?

Among many texts, the transitions of individuals into new phases of life and social context are conveyed through the development of characterisation and their interactions within their worlds. Willy Russel’s play “Educating Rita” unmasks Rita and Frank’s transitions by portraying their interactions as a challenge that causes a change in relationships, in which it leads to their new social context of freedom and choice. Just took two tiny words out of this to make it flow smoother :) The slam poetry “Capital Letters” articulated by Omar Musa Unique text choice! further explores the complexity of transitions into a new phase of life through presenting its existence only by spontaneity discovery, leading to a new social context that influences him to catalyse change within his society. Hence, the transition into a new phase of life and social context is unveiled through the respective character’s development and interactions within their society.  I like this, you've got a lot of ideas happening here and I've got little criticism to offer!
Russell’s “Educating Rita” unravels the concept of transitioning into a new phase of life through Rita and Frank’s interaction within worlds as an impact to their existing relationships. Just a small wording issue at the end of this sentence that lets down your argument by clouding it. Perhaps try, "through Rita and Frank's interaction with a world that impacts their existing relationships." Admittedly, I still don't think this is entirely clear, I'm a little hazy on the idea you're putting forward. Rita initialises this as she unintentionally alludes to the historical event of the Holocaust in which the Nazis, “burnt all the books” Pg. 32. Unless your teacher has advised you to do this, page numbers wouldn't be necessary. They aren't necessary in the HSC exam, so unless your teacher requires it for internal tasks, I'd drop it. Depending on which version of the book you have, the page numbers will be different, so the purpose is defeated. This denotes her dialogue to Denny’s reluctance to embrace Rita’s relationships with the academia and working class worlds simultaneously. Nice sentence. Hence, demonstrating the notion of women’s inferiority in the 1980s as a dominating factor in its social context acting as a barrier into her new phase of life that negatively impacts the harmonies in her relationships. Furthermore, Rita rebuts to Frank’s response to, “be yourself” Pg. 44 and uses an asyndeton, I think "uses an asyndeton" decreases the sophistication of your sentence. I'd try to shorten the quote if you can, or find a way to embed it with the last quote "be yourself" without saying the words "quote" or "excerpt" or identify the technique. The next sentence flows on perfectly without you identifying asyndeton earlier. “some stupid woman who gives us all a laugh because she thinks she can learn, because one day she’ll be like the rest of them, talking seriously” Pg. 45. The asyndeton heightens the tempo of the moment in order to demonstrate her stress in her emotional insecurity, YASSS, great analysis. illustrating the hardships of acceptance and conformity when phasing into a new lifestyle. Thus, reveals her change in relationships within herself from acceptance to unpleasant and pretentious. This sentence is flawless: You identify the technique, identify the effect, and link it to the question. Super smooth, super effective. The stage direction, “They go towards the door” Pg. 38 Perhaps instead of a page number, you'd benefit from identifying the scene. Again, it's not a requirement, but when I used such tiny little passages I tried to identify the placement. Perhaps, "The stage direction in the kissing scene" (I made that scene up) will be what you need to ground that quote. , utilises is expressed in the third person pronoun in which I think you have a habit of saying "in which"...be conscious about using it. It doesn't add to your sophistication and adds a little hiccup to what could otherwise be a smooth sentence. Usually, "which" will be fine where you have written "in which" it places the responders to perceive unity between the two characters. Through the conjunction of the responder’s perspective and the character's  possessive apostrophe required in character's...approach to the door on stage, it becomes a symbol for their initial step to greater impact towards their change in their individual relationships. That is, Rita to resolve relationship in her social relationships and Frank to embark on his change with literature. This also establishes Frank’s office as a world in which Rita begins to transition and hence, the stage directions simultaneously emulates a metaphor for Rita emphatic catalyst to her transition. Therefore, the exploration of transitions through the character’s interactions in “Educating Rita” enable the portrayal of the phasing into a new life as impactful to their relationships. Strong argument! Everything is well supported.
Similarly, the characters interactions in “Educating Rita” are a way to unveil the consequence of the transition into new social contexts for their ability to embrace freedom and choice. Rita’s dialogue presents an asyndeton as she describes that she, “had a great time, [staying] up all night, talking, [going] all around London, [getting] drunk, [going] to the theatres”, Pg. 49. This in effect increases the tempo in her dialogue in which it creates tension between the responders and within the play. This enables the showcase of her ability to practice free will and choice due to her transition that deepen her understanding of literature, thereby expanding her world in which she takes on to outlive the traditional values of the 1980s society. The subjective line spoken by Rita that “[she] felt young” Pg. 51 establishes the metaphor of being “young”. Thus, it simplifies the nature of her new social context that brings about youthfulness with endless opportunities that allow the experience for choice and freedom. We've talked about a metaphor being established, but that reads a bit weakly to me. Is it an ongoing metaphor that holds great significance? Because currently, it doesn't even look like a metaphor to me, it just looks like she's literally saying she felt young. Perhaps, you could talk about the connotations of young, I think that suits better. But I'm happy to have the metaphor explained more if that is the most suitable technique. During the closing of the play, Frank gifts Rita “a dress” in turn Rita insists to “take ten years off” Pg. 73, Frank. These two gifts and exchanges both symbolise what they have given each other – that is, Frank has given Rita education and the authentic experience of change whilst Rita offers Frank the foundation for his transition. Great analysis. Both thereby, coming in terms to result in harmonisation between freedom and choice in their social contexts. Thus, the interactions of Frank and Rita demonstrate transitions into a new social context as a venture to embrace freedom and choice in order to excel in their society as individuals.
Omar Musa’s slam poetry “Capital Letters” shifts ways in which it conveys the individual’s transitions into a new phase, hence expressing it through the portrayal of its existence only by spontaneity discovery. Musa utilises repetition in conjunction with a crescendo as he articulates; “yet somehow, somehow, I found something”. This in effect creates tension between responders and Musa himself, in order to emulate the moment of spontaneity discovery and the progressive unravelling of the ambiguous “something” that suggests the phenomenon of phasing into a new life. Further to this, Musa reveals the result of his discovery in which he ventures into a world of “underground kings & queens who taught us the power of our voices, of nonconformity”. Musa’s intentional first person pronoun and intense word choice of “power” and “nonconformity” heightens the existence of discovery that allowed Musa to be in a phase of leadership and change.  Thus, upbringing the notion for the responders’ “nonconformity” to bring their “power” into their life in order to subvert government’s beliefs towards people as “statistics”, only then they are able to experience the transition into new phase in life. Nice embedding of little quotes, it flows well. Moreover, Musa’s approach to utilise the two and three syllable words and asyndeton creates a smooth, pleasing rhythm as he speaks, “syphoning El Haji Malik El Shabazz., Jimblahs, Deltas & Brad Struts, Ozi Batlas,, Hilltops & Horrorshows, Def Wish Casts & Koolisms”. Musa deliberately engages this as its cohesive use allows the responders to easily formulate a vivid image of the numberless artists and culture in which it emulates the endless discovery of music and culture. This implies the forces within the discovery of music and culture as the catalyst to Musa’s individual transition into the new phase of life. Thus, in Omar’s Musa slam poetry “Capital Letters” he conveys the transitions into a new phase of life through expressing its existence only by spontaneity discovery that ventures into different pathways of opportunity and choice.

Likewise, “Capital Letters” exhibits Musa’s progression into his new social context in which he manifests this through his desire to catalyse a form of transition within the responders. Musa’s line, “So… linger now, linger with me” initially pauses on “so”. This acts as an auditory rest for the responders, which in effect enables a moment of intimacy with Musa. Hence, Musa accomplishes a sense of leadership shown through his decrescendo in his speech suggesting control and adherence that further demonstrates Musa’s intention and desire to present the journey of the transition into social context that consist of freedom and acceptance. In addition, Musa’s metaphor, “weave your stories into nets, drag them behind zig sagging decks” is spoken with a similar syllable count (?) in which it creates a flowing and smooth rhythm, replicating the metaphor’s visual imagery that denotes to the easiness for the responders to eliminate their previous mindsets and beliefs suggesting that they are not necessary for transitions. Hence, through the auditory imagery that triggers the responder’s visual sensory it entices their desire to advance into a new social context. Musa’s confident(?) tone as he addresses that “we are more than ‘your dreams are unrealistic’… this is the new scripture of our lives”. First person pronoun accentuates the inclusiveness between Musa and the responders in order to form a relationship, suggesting commonality. This strengthens the superlative comparison (?) that displays the ability for the responder’s to transform their bleak perspective of life to view it as dynamical and exhilarating. Hence, accompanied by the high modality language evident in present tense of “this is” exhibits urgency for change, Good piggybacking of techniques! emphasising the need for the responder’s role to change their social contexts to successively subvert conformists’ approach to life. Therefore, through Musa’s craftsmanship he is able to express his desire to catalyse change in which it has become his approach to illustrate the complexity of transitioning into a new social context.

In summary, I know some people say it's fine, but I personally try to avoid phrases like "to summarise," "In summary," "In conclusion..." Because I think that usually whatever comes next, can stand on its own. And in this situation, your sentence could definitely stand alone without it it is concluded that the characterisation’s development and interactions within their world has evidently contributed to the depiction of the transitions into a new phase of life and social contexts. Willy Russell’s play “Educating Rita” manifests Frank and Rita to engage on ideas that transitions into a new phase of life can impact relationships in which their new social contexts allow them embrace freedom and choice. On the other hand, Omar Musa’s slam poetry “Capital Letters” encapsulates the progression into a new phase to be present only by discovery conjunctionally with a new social context that leads to a desire for change. Overall, it is satisfied that among texts exploring transitions establishes new beliefs and values.

Your concerns:
-   Overall expression, in particular where I am stating my points (introduction) I thought your introduction was fine, but I do see where expression fails you a bit. I've highlighted some of these areas, where simply taking a word out here or there allows it to flow.
-   Sentence structure and overall form (Form) Take a look at the sentences where I've applauded your analysis and syntax, those are the sentences that tick all of the boxes and are exemplars of your writing ability!
-   Answering the question? I do think you answer it, but I think you could answer it a tinnnnnny bit more. So something you're doing really well is piggybacking techniques, or letting them cumulate. But this means that you can be talking about five different techniques mounting on to each other for five sentences, and then the sixth sentence will be what brings it back to the question. Because you are consistently adding to your argument, it's not the worst. But, I think that if you review your paragraphs and question "In the last two sentences, have I addressed the question directly?" and then edit accordingly, your response will have just that little bit more direction.
-   If my points are relevant. (Ideas) Yes they are!
-   Analysis + explanation = is it weak? Hard to understand? (Language)  Adding to the above points, at times it's flawless and other times the language lets you down. All of these are easy fixes.
-   Irrelevant points and sentences. There was only like one sentence which stood out to me as not adding anything, and I pointed it out. (I think that potentially you could benefit from combining more sentences, hybridising them. If you follow the above suggestions by looking at the sentences you do perfectly, I think you'll see a pattern that suits you wonderfully.
-   Strength of the overall argument – is it weak or strong?  Or in the middle?
When writing this response, I found it difficult to articulate words and sentences, which is probably shown in my writing. I don’t why I found it hard to write when I usually don’t… Perhaps you need to speak out loud and act as though you're explaining the technique to your friend. Write down exactly what you'd say in your colloquial language, and then as it sits on the screen, adjust it to be the kind of tone you'd use in an essay. I think that there are times when you're trying to sound sophisticated by combining ideas that just aren't flowing for you. I think you know this too, and I've pointed out where this happens. Sometimes you need to delete two sentences, and then rewrite them in different words.

Hopefully this gives you a hand! :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2017, 04:24:56 pm »
Hey Dalvin! I can give you a hand here :)

Maybe send through another email to your teacher in case it got lost in the holiday emails...but either way, here to help!
Thanks for your contribution and lovely presence around the forums - I've noticed you posting a lot and it's great to have you around :)
The comments are in the spoiler below (keep in mind I didn't study this module - so if any of my suggestions contradict what you've been told let me know so that I can improve my feedback...but we should be fine!)
Spoiler
Essay question: How do the texts explore individual’s transitions into a new phase of life and social context?

Among many texts, the transitions of individuals into new phases of life and social context are conveyed through the development of characterisation and their interactions within their worlds. Willy Russel’s play “Educating Rita” unmasks Rita and Frank’s transitions by portraying their interactions as a challenge that causes a change in relationships, in which it leads to their new social context of freedom and choice. Just took two tiny words out of this to make it flow smoother :) The slam poetry “Capital Letters” articulated by Omar Musa Unique text choice! further explores the complexity of transitions into a new phase of life through presenting its existence only by spontaneity discovery, leading to a new social context that influences him to catalyse change within his society. Hence, the transition into a new phase of life and social context is unveiled through the respective character’s development and interactions within their society.  I like this, you've got a lot of ideas happening here and I've got little criticism to offer!
Russell’s “Educating Rita” unravels the concept of transitioning into a new phase of life through Rita and Frank’s interaction within worlds as an impact to their existing relationships. Just a small wording issue at the end of this sentence that lets down your argument by clouding it. Perhaps try, "through Rita and Frank's interaction with a world that impacts their existing relationships." Admittedly, I still don't think this is entirely clear, I'm a little hazy on the idea you're putting forward. Rita initialises this as she unintentionally alludes to the historical event of the Holocaust in which the Nazis, “burnt all the books” Pg. 32. Unless your teacher has advised you to do this, page numbers wouldn't be necessary. They aren't necessary in the HSC exam, so unless your teacher requires it for internal tasks, I'd drop it. Depending on which version of the book you have, the page numbers will be different, so the purpose is defeated. This denotes her dialogue to Denny’s reluctance to embrace Rita’s relationships with the academia and working class worlds simultaneously. Nice sentence. Hence, demonstrating the notion of women’s inferiority in the 1980s as a dominating factor in its social context acting as a barrier into her new phase of life that negatively impacts the harmonies in her relationships. Furthermore, Rita rebuts to Frank’s response to, “be yourself” Pg. 44 and uses an asyndeton, I think "uses an asyndeton" decreases the sophistication of your sentence. I'd try to shorten the quote if you can, or find a way to embed it with the last quote "be yourself" without saying the words "quote" or "excerpt" or identify the technique. The next sentence flows on perfectly without you identifying asyndeton earlier. “some stupid woman who gives us all a laugh because she thinks she can learn, because one day she’ll be like the rest of them, talking seriously” Pg. 45. The asyndeton heightens the tempo of the moment in order to demonstrate her stress in her emotional insecurity, YASSS, great analysis. illustrating the hardships of acceptance and conformity when phasing into a new lifestyle. Thus, reveals her change in relationships within herself from acceptance to unpleasant and pretentious. This sentence is flawless: You identify the technique, identify the effect, and link it to the question. Super smooth, super effective. The stage direction, “They go towards the door” Pg. 38 Perhaps instead of a page number, you'd benefit from identifying the scene. Again, it's not a requirement, but when I used such tiny little passages I tried to identify the placement. Perhaps, "The stage direction in the kissing scene" (I made that scene up) will be what you need to ground that quote. , utilises is expressed in the third person pronoun in which I think you have a habit of saying "in which"...be conscious about using it. It doesn't add to your sophistication and adds a little hiccup to what could otherwise be a smooth sentence. Usually, "which" will be fine where you have written "in which" it places the responders to perceive unity between the two characters. Through the conjunction of the responder’s perspective and the character's  possessive apostrophe required in character's...approach to the door on stage, it becomes a symbol for their initial step to greater impact towards their change in their individual relationships. That is, Rita to resolve relationship in her social relationships and Frank to embark on his change with literature. This also establishes Frank’s office as a world in which Rita begins to transition and hence, the stage directions simultaneously emulates a metaphor for Rita emphatic catalyst to her transition. Therefore, the exploration of transitions through the character’s interactions in “Educating Rita” enable the portrayal of the phasing into a new life as impactful to their relationships. Strong argument! Everything is well supported.
Similarly, the characters interactions in “Educating Rita” are a way to unveil the consequence of the transition into new social contexts for their ability to embrace freedom and choice. Rita’s dialogue presents an asyndeton as she describes that she, “had a great time, [staying] up all night, talking, [going] all around London, [getting] drunk, [going] to the theatres”, Pg. 49. This in effect increases the tempo in her dialogue in which it creates tension between the responders and within the play. This enables the showcase of her ability to practice free will and choice due to her transition that deepen her understanding of literature, thereby expanding her world in which she takes on to outlive the traditional values of the 1980s society. The subjective line spoken by Rita that “[she] felt young” Pg. 51 establishes the metaphor of being “young”. Thus, it simplifies the nature of her new social context that brings about youthfulness with endless opportunities that allow the experience for choice and freedom. We've talked about a metaphor being established, but that reads a bit weakly to me. Is it an ongoing metaphor that holds great significance? Because currently, it doesn't even look like a metaphor to me, it just looks like she's literally saying she felt young. Perhaps, you could talk about the connotations of young, I think that suits better. But I'm happy to have the metaphor explained more if that is the most suitable technique. During the closing of the play, Frank gifts Rita “a dress” in turn Rita insists to “take ten years off” Pg. 73, Frank. These two gifts and exchanges both symbolise what they have given each other – that is, Frank has given Rita education and the authentic experience of change whilst Rita offers Frank the foundation for his transition. Great analysis. Both thereby, coming in terms to result in harmonisation between freedom and choice in their social contexts. Thus, the interactions of Frank and Rita demonstrate transitions into a new social context as a venture to embrace freedom and choice in order to excel in their society as individuals.
Omar Musa’s slam poetry “Capital Letters” shifts ways in which it conveys the individual’s transitions into a new phase, hence expressing it through the portrayal of its existence only by spontaneity discovery. Musa utilises repetition in conjunction with a crescendo as he articulates; “yet somehow, somehow, I found something”. This in effect creates tension between responders and Musa himself, in order to emulate the moment of spontaneity discovery and the progressive unravelling of the ambiguous “something” that suggests the phenomenon of phasing into a new life. Further to this, Musa reveals the result of his discovery in which he ventures into a world of “underground kings & queens who taught us the power of our voices, of nonconformity”. Musa’s intentional first person pronoun and intense word choice of “power” and “nonconformity” heightens the existence of discovery that allowed Musa to be in a phase of leadership and change.  Thus, upbringing the notion for the responders’ “nonconformity” to bring their “power” into their life in order to subvert government’s beliefs towards people as “statistics”, only then they are able to experience the transition into new phase in life. Nice embedding of little quotes, it flows well. Moreover, Musa’s approach to utilise the two and three syllable words and asyndeton creates a smooth, pleasing rhythm as he speaks, “syphoning El Haji Malik El Shabazz., Jimblahs, Deltas & Brad Struts, Ozi Batlas,, Hilltops & Horrorshows, Def Wish Casts & Koolisms”. Musa deliberately engages this as its cohesive use allows the responders to easily formulate a vivid image of the numberless artists and culture in which it emulates the endless discovery of music and culture. This implies the forces within the discovery of music and culture as the catalyst to Musa’s individual transition into the new phase of life. Thus, in Omar’s Musa slam poetry “Capital Letters” he conveys the transitions into a new phase of life through expressing its existence only by spontaneity discovery that ventures into different pathways of opportunity and choice.

Likewise, “Capital Letters” exhibits Musa’s progression into his new social context in which he manifests this through his desire to catalyse a form of transition within the responders. Musa’s line, “So… linger now, linger with me” initially pauses on “so”. This acts as an auditory rest for the responders, which in effect enables a moment of intimacy with Musa. Hence, Musa accomplishes a sense of leadership shown through his decrescendo in his speech suggesting control and adherence that further demonstrates Musa’s intention and desire to present the journey of the transition into social context that consist of freedom and acceptance. In addition, Musa’s metaphor, “weave your stories into nets, drag them behind zig sagging decks” is spoken with a similar syllable count (?) in which it creates a flowing and smooth rhythm, replicating the metaphor’s visual imagery that denotes to the easiness for the responders to eliminate their previous mindsets and beliefs suggesting that they are not necessary for transitions. Hence, through the auditory imagery that triggers the responder’s visual sensory it entices their desire to advance into a new social context. Musa’s confident(?) tone as he addresses that “we are more than ‘your dreams are unrealistic’… this is the new scripture of our lives”. First person pronoun accentuates the inclusiveness between Musa and the responders in order to form a relationship, suggesting commonality. This strengthens the superlative comparison (?) that displays the ability for the responder’s to transform their bleak perspective of life to view it as dynamical and exhilarating. Hence, accompanied by the high modality language evident in present tense of “this is” exhibits urgency for change, Good piggybacking of techniques! emphasising the need for the responder’s role to change their social contexts to successively subvert conformists’ approach to life. Therefore, through Musa’s craftsmanship he is able to express his desire to catalyse change in which it has become his approach to illustrate the complexity of transitioning into a new social context.

In summary, I know some people say it's fine, but I personally try to avoid phrases like "to summarise," "In summary," "In conclusion..." Because I think that usually whatever comes next, can stand on its own. And in this situation, your sentence could definitely stand alone without it it is concluded that the characterisation’s development and interactions within their world has evidently contributed to the depiction of the transitions into a new phase of life and social contexts. Willy Russell’s play “Educating Rita” manifests Frank and Rita to engage on ideas that transitions into a new phase of life can impact relationships in which their new social contexts allow them embrace freedom and choice. On the other hand, Omar Musa’s slam poetry “Capital Letters” encapsulates the progression into a new phase to be present only by discovery conjunctionally with a new social context that leads to a desire for change. Overall, it is satisfied that among texts exploring transitions establishes new beliefs and values.

Your concerns:
-   Overall expression, in particular where I am stating my points (introduction) I thought your introduction was fine, but I do see where expression fails you a bit. I've highlighted some of these areas, where simply taking a word out here or there allows it to flow.
-   Sentence structure and overall form (Form) Take a look at the sentences where I've applauded your analysis and syntax, those are the sentences that tick all of the boxes and are exemplars of your writing ability!
-   Answering the question? I do think you answer it, but I think you could answer it a tinnnnnny bit more. So something you're doing really well is piggybacking techniques, or letting them cumulate. But this means that you can be talking about five different techniques mounting on to each other for five sentences, and then the sixth sentence will be what brings it back to the question. Because you are consistently adding to your argument, it's not the worst. But, I think that if you review your paragraphs and question "In the last two sentences, have I addressed the question directly?" and then edit accordingly, your response will have just that little bit more direction.
-   If my points are relevant. (Ideas) Yes they are!
-   Analysis + explanation = is it weak? Hard to understand? (Language)  Adding to the above points, at times it's flawless and other times the language lets you down. All of these are easy fixes.
-   Irrelevant points and sentences. There was only like one sentence which stood out to me as not adding anything, and I pointed it out. (I think that potentially you could benefit from combining more sentences, hybridising them. If you follow the above suggestions by looking at the sentences you do perfectly, I think you'll see a pattern that suits you wonderfully.
-   Strength of the overall argument – is it weak or strong?  Or in the middle?
When writing this response, I found it difficult to articulate words and sentences, which is probably shown in my writing. I don’t why I found it hard to write when I usually don’t… Perhaps you need to speak out loud and act as though you're explaining the technique to your friend. Write down exactly what you'd say in your colloquial language, and then as it sits on the screen, adjust it to be the kind of tone you'd use in an essay. I think that there are times when you're trying to sound sophisticated by combining ideas that just aren't flowing for you. I think you know this too, and I've pointed out where this happens. Sometimes you need to delete two sentences, and then rewrite them in different words.

Hopefully this gives you a hand! :)

Hey Elyse!

Thank you! Thank you soooooo soooo much!!!!! Like I CANT EVEN EXPRESS MYSELF... I FEEL LIKE I'M ON A ROAD TO BAND 6 ENGLISH RIGHT NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR EXPERT GUIDANCE. LOL. No teacher has actually gone through my essay/exam that thorough before and that's why I've always kinda stayed in the same range (B) .

But overall, I've gone through it and make correction as suggested and noted down things I need to watch out for next time I write essays :) It made it so much better omg LOL.

I have one concern, I'll need to submit this assignment on Turnitin. Will it pop up as 100% plagiarism ?  ??? :-\

Lowkey knowing that someone from my grade would downloading my essay and stealing my ideas/analysis.  >:(

THANK YOU AGAIN ELYSE  :) :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:57:10 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »

Hey Elyse!

Thank you! Thank you soooooo soooo much!!!!! Like I CANT EVEN EXPRESS MYSELF... I FEEL LIKE I'M ON A ROAD TO BAND 6 ENGLISH RIGHT NOW BECAUSE OF YOUR EXPERT GUIDANCE. LOL. No teacher has actually gone through my essay/exam that thorough before and that's why I've always kinda stayed in the same range (B) .

But overall, I've gone through it and make correction as suggested and noted down things I need to watch out for next time I write essays :) It made it so much better omg LOL.

I have one concern, I'll need to submit this assignment on Turnitin. Will it pop up as 100% plagiarism ?  ??? :-\

I replied to your inbox - But to alleviate your concerns and of those who might read, you are fine. We marked so many essays last year without problems, and more than a few were bound to go through Turnitin. Besides that, this work is yours - It is your account with your name and your email address, your work. You can't possibly plagiarise something that YOU wrote after all ;D

Really happy that the feedback was useful!! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2017, 07:04:41 pm »
Question- This is my English essay in relation to discovery their are two texts within this essay, the main text "Go back to where you came from" by Shaun Tan and " The Arrival" by Ivan O'Mahoney. In this I'm concerned about the techniques, and grammar errors I would appreciate the help thanks.

Discoveries can be sudden, and unexpected, or they can emerge from a process of deliberate and careful planning. Discoveries can be fresh and intensely meaningful in ways that may be emotional, creative, intellectual, physical, and spiritual. The impact of these discoveries can be far-reaching and transformative for the individual and for the broader society.

Hey there! Welcome to the forums :) We require 15 ATAR Notes posts in order to receive a fully marked piece, but I'll give you some super basic pointers in the mean time. Stick around and you'll build up the post count easily!

Firstly, you've got the composers mixed up, O'mahoney is responsible for Go Back :)
You're starting your paragraphs as though you're going through a list, try take out the "to begin" and "firstly" and what not - your paragraphs can start without that. Your introduction takes things directly from the rubric - I think the best approach is to recycle the words from the rubric, not replicate them. So tag them with some original ideas to create a good mix :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2017, 12:55:51 am »

Hey Elyse!

Lowkey knowing that someone from my grade would downloading my essay and stealing my ideas/analysis.  >:(

Hahaha, thanks Dalvin! I love your spirit here on AN. Please, stick around! I love your work :)

1MARIE1

• Adventurer
  • WHAT
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:50 pm »
Hi, this essay is based on the Area of study. It includes Robert Frost's poems 'Mending Wall' and 'A tuft of flowers' and for my related text, Agnieszka Holland's film 'The Secret garden'.
HSC 2017: Standard English // Mathematics // Biology // PDHPE // Modern History // History Extension
ATAR Goal:85
Course Goal: B Science (Advanced)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:44 pm »
Hi, this essay is based on the Area of study. It includes Robert Frost's poems 'Mending Wall' and 'A tuft of flowers' and for my related text, Agnieszka Holland's film 'The Secret garden'.

Hey Marie! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Thanks for posting your essay - Our essay marking rules require 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every essay you'd like feedback on. This is just to make sure the service doesn't become too clogged and that the markers can keep up! ;D 15 posts might sound like a lot, but if you hang around a bit and ask a few questions, contribute to a few discussions, it will go up really quickly! When it does just let us know and we'll give you some detailed feedback ;D

That said, on a quick read, I think you need to be careful that you aren't just retelling parts of the text. You have a great language style and analysis - But at times it just felt like you were describing characters/plot points, not discussing Discovery in a broader sense ;D hope that little bit of feedback helps until you get the 15 posts up! :)

zara.alrobeiy

• Fresh Poster
English Standard Essay Marking
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2017, 10:01:54 am »
hey, this is my essay fro module A distinctive voices. could you please check it even though it still needs editing and the conclusion is incomplete

Spoiler

Distinctive voices allow composers to convey perspectives of different individuals and groups in a way that prompt audiences to consider alternate views. This experience of new perspectives allows audiences to understand how their own values and attitudes have been influenced by the world around them.  Rachel Perkins 2001 Australian music drama ‘One Night the Moon’, conveys social and political stereotypical perspectives of the 1930’s, in order to reveal the negative impact of external attitudes on individuals values. By extension, Malala Yousafzai’s 2012 UN address, offers a personal perspective of overcoming social and political barriers, by providing audiences with a deeper understanding of their own capacity to independently develop a more personalised worldview. Ultimately, albeit diverse in form and context, the effective construction of these unique perspectives in the texts, reveal their usefulness in encouraging audiences to reflect on their own worldviews. 

Distinctive voices have the potential to validate or challenge society’s values, in order to promote a political agenda and criticize belief systems.  Through the actions of Emily going missing, Perkins creates a platform to discuss global ramifications of the 1930’s. She does this by educating her audience about the need to leave the safety of our parental culture, come into communion with the land and its natives and die to our colonial past. The film is portrayed in a  circular structure narrative, with the opening scene presenting the farmer through an overhead shot, alone lamenting and desperately, singing “I don’t know anything anymore”.  The articulation of his confusion followed by the time-lapse photography of his inevitable suicide, leads viewers to identify the catalyst to jims downfall as his limited world view. With a tone of loss and uncertainty, this further creates a dramatic irony throughout the film. The voice of racism is reflective of colonial views in the 1930’s  “no blacks on my land”.  The power of Jim’s racist voice highlights his dominating personality and positioning himself in a commanding position. He takes on a responsibility role of the search for Emily as he feels he is dominant because of his cultural belief systems and ideologies despite knowing albert “can track the shadow of the moon… from the heart to the limits of the land”.  The contrast in the use of possessive pronouns in the following song “this land is mine” vs “this land is me” highlights the distinctive difference between the fathers supremacist voice and albert’s spiritual voice. While the settler articulates a defined ownership over the land “all the way to the old fence line” and sings his insistent and desperate refrain of “this land is mine”, the black tracker sings “ this land is me, rock, water, animal, tree” which prompts viewers about the important connections that indigenous people have with the land. Moreover, Perkins film, serves to signal how white Australians might come to find some redemption and comfort for indigenous Australians, by needing to surrender to the lure and mysterious of the country. (348)

By extension, the distinctive voice of Malala engages with the audience and creates a sense of empathy and interest through exploring her experiences and feelings. The kairos of her speech is such that it engages with the audience in a deep and emotional level by expressing her cultural values and beliefs through ‘peace’, ‘education’, and ‘equity’. Like Rachel Perkins, Malala focuses on promoting a political agenda by challenging the audience to recognise that “Islam says its not only each child’s right to get an education, but its their duty” and calling “upon all world leaders to change their strategic policies in favours of peace and prosperity”. Malala’s powerful voice politically asserts that if religion is our moral compass, then its ultimate aim is being education for all, not a few. This causes special warmth and gratitude from the audience towards her, by advocating that it’s the tragedy of knowledge offered and knowledge rejected that “the power of education” lies within. By portraying her own tragic experience, Malala expresses that the knowledge of others creates a fear of unknown for the ‘Taliban’ and by expressing her authorial voice, she speaks so everyone knows the importance of getting an education and gaining the power of knowledge. Malala creates the voice of action through her persuading tone and ability to say “I don’t even hate the Talib that shot me…I would not shoot him” instead she wants to “speak up for the right of education of every child…education for the sons and daughters of all the extremists especially the Taliban”. Despite Malala showing her forgiveness through her use of high modality, she is still identifying that the root of violence is a lack of education, which is grounded in fear.

Distinctive voices are used to represent and develop the relationships between characters and reveal their differences, whilst also revealing their background and longing. Throughout the film Rachel Perkins portrays the power of distinctive voices through diegetic atmosphere landscape sounds. By connecting scenes and the title shots, Perkins gives the landscape a distinctive character and ‘voice’.  The films sense of visual melancholy is achieved through the process of bleach bypassing in postproduction, which drains the images of pink tones and gives the landscape a rugged and brooding presence. After the child goes missing, time-lapse photography depicts the clouds rapidly rolling in and nestling on the horizon above the rocky outcrops. This reinforces the harsh weather, which after the passing of every day, further threatens the child’s survival and the difficulties of the environment which she is lost in.  Perkins utilises Celtic style instruments as a musical motif of voice to build tension throughout the film and to portray the consequences of Jims social and political actions. Alongside the white settlers’ fear of the Australian environment lies their fear of the indigenous inhabitants. Perkins portrays two contrasting views of Australian landscape, for the white settlers she portrays a barren, vast land in which the settlers are isolated and vulnerable and in contrast she also shows the land through the eyes of the indigenous character, albert, who is able to see minuscule changes and detail in the landscape. Ultimately, Rachel Perkins advocates that by developing a unifying relationship with the base of land, an individuals voice despite silent will be seen as more powerful than those who express their connection by placing barriers.

From the outset of her speech and despite being suppressed, Malala promotes the notion of social justice by providing a voice to the voiceless. Malala’s concerns around the notion of lack of education is also advocated in one night the moon, where Rachel Perkins reinforces through albert’s somber tone that you only “fear what you don’t understand”, which is what Malala’s didactic voice emphasises about the lack of education. Despite promoting education, Malala symbolically speaks about racial oppressed voices by advocating “the important of our voice when we are silenced”. These dualities are represented in one night the moon, where we see albert and rose silenced throughout the majority of the film. The purpose of presenting the oppressed silenced, reinforces the power of words that remain unspoken. The power of the authorial voice speaks for the voiceless disempowered by calling “upon our sisters of the world to be brave” because “we cannot succeed when half of us are held back”. In this Malala’s voice talks of giving everyone the opportunity to succeed in what they want to achieve if they work together towards a goal. The repetitive “dear brothers and sisters…who have raised their voice for their rights” resonates with Martin Luther King’s anaphoric aims of “inspiring all of us to action”. The repetitive anaphoric articulation of “I speak… I raise… their voice… their rights” reinforces the purpose that Malala’s political voice is articulating.  Furthermore, by shaping individuals perceptions about the metaphorical “pen is mightier than the sword”, through a powerful political voice, Malala reinforces that despite “the power of the women frightens them…equality will bring into our society”. Ultimately, through her authorial voice, Malala establishes that this equality will serve society rather than disempower the powerful- equality for all will facilitate growth and enrichment for all.

The power of the voice lies in its capacity to open up pathways to new discourses in relations between the colonial past and present and racial relationships. The contrasting view points made by disempowered voices validates how perceptions of others and the world are shaped by social and political class distinctions. Alongside the white settlers fear of the Australian environment lies their fear of the indigenous inhabitant. In One Night the Moon, Perkins portrays Albert as the source of this fear. There is never any suggestion that Albert is a dangerous man, yet Rose in particular shows her fear of him by preventing Emily from waving at him when they pass on the road. The contrast in clothing along with the narrative establishes that the two families are on a parallel trajectory, further enhancing the tension between society’s social and political views as well as creating a mood of deselect. Despite, the two families’ living conditions are on a parallel level, the white family is seen more superior and dominant due to their white social belief system. Perkins attempt in breaking that social constructed barrier between the two races is portrayed through the silent voices of rose and albert, who are able to undergo a journey of redemption and form an alliance. Throughout the first half of the film she is recognised through silence as she accepts her husbands racist attitude towards albert “get the black tracker off my property”. Her silence validates the voice of the oppressed, gender voice that has no say in society. Furthermore, Roses gender voice is also examined when she discovers albert in Emily’s room and orders him to “get out”. Perkins validates Roses’ fear of aboriginal people by enhancing the tempo of the music in order to build tension to portray the disempowered voice of the voiceless albert, who allows the dominant white view to entrap him despite knowing “they’re going the wrong way”.  Perkins validates, that despite diverse in ideologies, they are able to come to terms and relinquish their social belief systems and together become stronger in finding Emily’s “bones”. This metaphorical journey they are on to finish “unfinished business” , by relinquishing their social constructs and moving into uncharted territory, is a representation of the national tragedy, where black and white are consolidating reconciliation. Therefor, by stepping out of the framed windows and dreams and abandoning her ‘white’ clothes in her second visit to albert, roses silent voice becomes powerful and albert’s act of surrendering his “swag full of nothing” becomes a voice for guiding the Australian relationships.  Rachel Perkins cements the relationship through the dialogue, music, and narrative to remind us of our essential humanity to reconcile and acknowledge the importance of connectedness

Mod Edit: Added spoiler
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:16:40 am by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2017, 11:20:35 am »

hey, this is my essay fro module A distinctive voices. could you please check it even though it still needs editing and the conclusion is incomplete

Hey Zara!

Thanks for posting your essay - I know I was able to mark one of your essays without meeting the 15 post limit previously (see the essay marking rules) but we are a lot busier now, so you'll need to meet that limit for feedback! When you do just let us know and we'll give you some detailed feedback ;D

shayal lata

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:43 pm »
 HEY THIS IS THE INTRODUCTION  TO MY SPEECH WHICH IS BASED ON THE CLOSE STUDY OF TEXT CAN YOU CHECK WHAT CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE

“I might hit the developmental and societal milestone in a different order compare to my peers, but I'm able to accomplish these small victories on my own time” (by Haley Moss). ‘The curious incident of a dog in a night time’ is a novel written using first person narration, from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old boy Christopher, who is a very unfortunate victim of the Aspergers syndrome. Having the opportunity to work with the people with a disability before encouraged me as an author to expose the world to that 1% of the population who suffer from Aspergers yet are still normal human beings just like you and me.  It will be very unfair if we ignore these people based on their disability because at the end of the day it is proven that people withAspergers syndrome are far more intelligent compared to normal human beings.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:00:38 pm by shayal lata »

kevin2177

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2017, 08:05:03 pm »
Hey i was wondering could you mark my standard english module A essay. I know it is not finished but could i get a review on this please?
The exact question is How do the distinct images created in texts challenge our understanding of ourselves and our world?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »
HEY THIS IS THE INTRODUCTION  TO MY SPEECH WHICH IS BASED ON THE CLOSE STUDY OF TEXT CAN YOU CHECK WHAT CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE

“I might hit the developmental and societal milestone in a different order compare to my peers, but I'm able to accomplish these small victories on my own time” (by Haley Moss). ‘The curious incident of a dog in a night time’ is a novel written using first person narration, from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old boy Christopher, who is a very unfortunate victim of the Aspergers syndrome. Having the opportunity to work with the people with a disability before encouraged me as an author to expose the world to that 1% of the population who suffer from Aspergers yet are still normal human beings just like you and me.  It will be very unfair if we ignore these people based on their disability because at the end of the day it is proven that people withAspergers syndrome are far more intelligent compared to normal human beings.

Welcome to the forums Shayal! So sorry it has taken so long to give you a response - I've had a read of your intro and I think it is a good start - Especially like the inclusion of your personal experiences. Establishes a great ethos. Be sure to read your intro aloud LOTS of times to try and spot any grammatical/syntax errors - There are parts of this that don't quite sit right on the ear. Also, since this is a close study of text, you need to explore what the composer of your text is trying to communicate - What ideas are they trying to represent? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:15 pm »
Hey i was wondering could you mark my standard english module A essay. I know it is not finished but could i get a review on this please?
The exact question is How do the distinct images created in texts challenge our understanding of ourselves and our world?

Welcome to the forums Kevin! ;D

Thanks for posting your essay - Our essay marking rules require you to have 15 posts for each essay you'd like feedback for. This is just to make sure the markers can keep up ;D

If you hang around the site a bit, I bet you'll reach that threshold in no time :)