Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 02:37:40 pm

Author Topic: Regarding uni offers  (Read 2361 times)  Share 

Pyromania

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Berwick Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Regarding uni offers
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:25:30 pm »
Hi guys! So as many of you know that the offers for uni acceptance will be released on the 18th of Jan. Now, for my first preference I have listed doing bachelor of teaching (primary) at fed uni,  and my second preference is a bachelor of health sciences at Deakin. I put teaching at fed uni as my first preference because I know I am most likely to get into it, however I'm also interested In doing bachelor of health sciences at Deakin, but I put that as my second preference. I was wondering say I get an offer from fed uni for my teaching course, but I want to wait till I get an offer from Deakin to do its health sciences degree or the bachelor of primary which I put as my third preference. But don't I have to wait for 2nd round offers? And won't I miss out at doing teaching at fed uni? I am really confused, help would be appreciated!

-- Appended (post 2)

I put Deakin as my preference because I missed out on the clearly-in for both health science and teaching(primary) but I have already applied for SEAS so I am not sure how much that will help me to get into Deakin...?

-- Appended (post 3)
As my 2nd preference*

Mod Edit: Triple post merged. Please do not double+ post without a valid reason. You are able to edit existing posts made.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:45:06 pm by Aaron »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Regarding uni offers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:50:44 pm »
Okay first off - I have concerns with your preferences due to this statement you've made:

I put teaching at fed uni as my first preference because I know I am most likely to get into it

You should NEVER arrange your preferences in the order that you are "likely" to get into. Your ordering should be in order of desire (regardless of required ATAR/other considerations). A clearly-in score is indicative only and changes every year as a result of student demand. You will still be considered according to middle band + SEAS.

You will only get one offer per round at most, which will be the highest preference that has accepted you. This is why it is super important to order based on your desire, rather than play the probability game. You could still get into Deakin - so if this is the course you really want to do (even more than Fed Uni), switch these preferences around.

Like I said - you will only get one offer per round: Say if you put down 5 preferences, and all 5 accepted you... you will only be able to accept preference #1 because this was your highest preference. You get this opportunity each round - you can reorder them etc. as well during change of preference periods.

I would look at this video as it will help explain further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRbS1Om4Oc

VTAC Media also has many different videos which explain each process: https://www.youtube.com/user/vtacmedia

I was wondering say I get an offer from fed uni for my teaching course, but I want to wait till I get an offer from Deakin to do its health sciences degree or the bachelor of primary which I put as my third preference. But don't I have to wait for 2nd round offers? And won't I miss out at doing teaching at fed uni?

If you don't change your preferences and you get #1 (Fed Uni teaching), I would highly recommend that you accept that offer and then rearrange your preferences between rounds 1 and 2 so that the ordering reflects what one you want the most in the 2nd round. You are able to withdraw from an accepted course in round 1 if you get offered something in round 2. If you don't accept that round 1 course offering, you run the risk of not being offered anything at all. Most course places are offered in the first round - hence why its important to get it right the first time.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:57:06 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Pyromania

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:56 pm »
Thanks for your speedy reply Aaron! Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the order of my preferences around anymore. =/ But thanks for letting me know that if I get accepted into fed uni, I should accept that offer and wait for round 2 to see if Deakin offers me or not and if it does, I can withdraw from fed if I want. Btw, Is there a time limit that u have to abide by to withdraw? Like after the 2nd offer-round has been released or?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
Thanks for your speedy reply Aaron! Unfortunately, I don't think I can change the order of my preferences around anymore. =/ But thanks for letting me know that if I get accepted into fed uni, I should accept that offer and wait for round 2 to see if Deakin offers me or not and if it does, I can withdraw from fed if I want. Btw, Is there a time limit that u have to abide by to withdraw? Like after the 2nd offer-round has been released or?

As long as you withdraw before the census date at the university it should be fine (its around the end of March). If you do happen to get a 2nd round offer, once you accept that you can easily withdraw from the other one. Just remember that after round 1 is over you are able to change your preferences again - so if you do happen to get your #1 preference in the first round (Fed Uni), you can rearrange it so that the Fed Uni offer from round 1 can be moved to the bottom and you can structure your preferences again for round 2, so that Deakin is at #1. However, I would personally withdraw immediately after you get another offer and accept that, because this impacts the number of available places in a particular course. You'll essentially be taking a spot - so quicker is better :)

If you leave the offered course from Round 1 in the preference slot #1, you won't get any more offers because this assumes that you've been offered your dream course. So you will have to do some modifying depending on what happens in round 1. Feel free to post here again if you get confused or want to ask something else.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:37:41 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Pyromania

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:57:08 am »
That helps a lot! Thank you so much for your assistance  :)