Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:28:32 am

Author Topic: Classical conditioning (and learning) help  (Read 777 times)  Share 

psychlaw

Classical conditioning (and learning) help
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:22:51 pm »
I'm really having trouble grasping the concept of classical conditioning (and other learning stuff in general)
Its the hardest psych AOS in my opiniong

Classical conditioning is a simple form of learning which is based on the repeated association of two different stimuli. 
Ok... so what exactly does that have to do with Pavlovs experiment, what are the two different stimuli in that? I find the whole concept confusing, does anyone have a simpler defintion?
And I find the whole CS, USC, CR, UCR, NS stuff very confusing aswell =/

ALSO having trouble understanding the concept of fixed action patterns

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
Re: Classical conditioning (and learning) help
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:58 pm »
Hey psychlaw, no need to worry. I found this topic hard as well but i just devoted heaps of time to it and then it became easier.

Firstly, in Pavlovs exeriment the two stimuli are the meat powder (a UCS that will cause an innate, reflex response of salivating, which is the URC) and the bell (NS which produces nothing at the beginning of the experiment.)

Basically, in Pavlovs experiment he constantly paired the UCS of meat powder with the NS of bell in the acquisition phase, so that eventually the NS would become the CS and produce the reflex response of salivation without actually having the meat powder present. That is why the definition of C.C. is all about the association between two stimuli. Sorry if my explanation is shit, i'm recalling this info off the top of my head.

Secondly, a Fixed Action Pattern (FAP) is an innate chain of behaviours that is performed by the majority of a species (for example, webspinning by spiders.) It's just basically something that is innate within a species from birth. It is also important to note that although Fixed Action Patterns are a reflex response, they are far more complex than a Reflex Action.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't you could just gather a lot of sources/infomation about the topics you are finding difficult and try to use elaboration in order to retain the infomation. (Link it with infomation from Unit 3 Psych if possible, because i know you got an A on the midyear :))

peace.
2007 | Visual Communication and Design [37] VCE VET Hospitality [39]
2008 | Media Studies [42] English [40] History Revolutions [40] Further Mathematics [39] Psychology [37]
ENTER | 91.15

2009 | Arts/Education [Secondary] - Monash Clayton.