Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2019, 10:38:41 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 253999 times)  Share 

You dont know me

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +28
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2445 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:43 pm »
Not related to the study design, but having a debate with some scrub in my private study. Is assisting someone in a suicide, for example, giving them the rope to commit the suicide, illegal, and if so, what would it be punishable by?
Currently studying:
-Legal Studies U3
-Biology U3
-Pyschology U3
-General Maths U3
-English U3
Check out my VCE journey

jurisprudence

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2446 on: May 20, 2019, 05:37:49 pm »
Not related to the study design, but having a debate with some scrub in my private study. Is assisting someone in a suicide, for example, giving them the rope to commit the suicide, illegal, and if so, what would it be punishable by?

Hey!

That’s actually a really interesting question. Whilst suicide itself is no longer a crime in Australia (this can be found in section 6A of the Crimes Act 1958 for Victoria), assisting suicide is illegal, with the penalty varying according to the state. For example:

• Queensland’s Criminal Code states that a person may be sentenced to life imprisonment.
• In New South Wales, a person found guilty of aiding the suicide of another may receive up to 10 years imprisonment.
• In fact, the Criminal Code Act 1995 also makes it an offence to use a carriage service for suicide related material, with a penalty of 1,000 penalty units. ($210,000)

There have been a number of criminal convictions relating to euthanasia and assisted suicide. The only exception to this is the Voluntary Assisted Dying Act 2017 which legalises physician-assisted suicide in Victoria as of 19 June 2019.