Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

November 30, 2020, 09:39:44 am

Author Topic: 'Work Experience' In Personal Statement  (Read 198 times)  Share 

itsmeagain

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
'Work Experience' In Personal Statement
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:17:48 pm »
Would formal long term part-time employment be a part of the 'work experience' portion of the statement? and if so, how much detail do I go into?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1154
Re: 'Work Experience' In Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:52:11 pm »
Yes. Depends on the job and its relevance to your preferences. (Note: itís been about 6 years since I did my own, so my memory is quite fuzzy here.) Iíd most likely mention a job anyway, even if feels irrelevant (e.g. being a team member at your local Coles, but youíre applying for nursing courses), because majority of them will at least have some relevant soft skills that will be transferable to your intended degree(s) and who knows - it might just help you get your top preference! (To me, it canít hurt. Worst case scenario, VTAC/ uni donít accept it but at least you tried. Best case scenario, it helps you get the course youíre after.)

Quote from: VTAC Personal Statement
3.2 Work and community experience
Use this section to provide details of all work and/or community experience relevant to your course preferences. You will be asked for details about your roles including where and when you held the role and the duties your performed, with space provided for you to make comments on each role. If you wish to direct comments to specific course preferences, identify the course in your comments. You will also be asked to provide details of at least one referee (maximum of three) who can comment on your work or community experience.
from https://www.vtac.edu.au/applying/personal-statement.html#what

Re: how much detail - However much you believe is relevant to your course preference(s) and will fit within the character/ word limit if there is one to cover the points listed in the quote above.

P.S. Just letting you know, I think  you accidentally posted the same thing twice, so Iíve deleted the duplicate post (the one with fewer views). Totally understand that posting when youíre new can take a little to get used to, so no dramas.
VCE: Psychology | English Language | LOTE | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics | Chemistry                 
Uni: (Hons)
University Virtual Events and Open Days | VTAC Info Thread 2020