Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:17:52 pm

Author Topic: EAS - should I apply?  (Read 3758 times)

Rakuu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
EAS - should I apply?
« on: October 19, 2020, 12:59:52 am »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if should I consider applying for EAS illness? I’ve  read the form and it seems that it has to be REALLY bad to even consider it (at least the way I interpreted it). I had mentioned this to my guidance officer already (which was months ago and yes she did tell me to apply for it) but she probably have forgotten about it, should I set an appointment or should I just shrug it off? 

I have Graves’ disease (hyperthyroidism), although it isn’t so bad now unlike the previous months (there were hand shakings/difficulty to focus/ and most especially always tired), I didn’t really miss a lot of school days and never really asked for any adjustments (e.g additional exam times, or extensions) not because I was very capable of it but I was shy lol. However, I do remember how every after school i would literally pass out And straight to nap because I’m drained and by the time I wake up it’s almost my bed time 😑 (Tho I would try stay up sometimes)
and whenever I study my focus shifts very quickly. Basically the concentrating (even in class) and tiredness is my biggest frustration. If it’s worth mentioning I’m also taking my thyroid meds!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: EAS - should I apply?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:45:20 am »
+3
If it’s operating the same way as VTAC in Victoria, absolutely! You’ll have a doctor or medical professional who will know the extent of your illness already and be able to help with the paperwork related to EAS.

In my opinion, it’s usually better to apply in circumstances like this. The pros: acknowledgement of your disadvantages and potential bonuses/ adjustments where it’s due, which can sometimes be the difference between getting into a course or not. The cons: a bit of lost time and, in the worst case scenario, QTAC might reject it (although unlikely), but better than not trying at all and having 0% chance to begin with.

Check when it’s due because you might be close to the deadline to get that paperwork in!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: EAS - should I apply?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:04 am »
+3
Hey guys,

Just wondering if should I consider applying for EAS illness? I’ve  read the form and it seems that it has to be REALLY bad to even consider it (at least the way I interpreted it). I had mentioned this to my guidance officer already (which was months ago and yes she did tell me to apply for it) but she probably have forgotten about it, should I set an appointment or should I just shrug it off? 

I have Graves’ disease (hyperthyroidism), although it isn’t so bad now unlike the previous months (there were hand shakings/difficulty to focus/ and most especially always tired), I didn’t really miss a lot of school days and never really asked for any adjustments (e.g additional exam times, or extensions) not because I was very capable of it but I was shy lol. However, I do remember how every after school i would literally pass out And straight to nap because I’m drained and by the time I wake up it’s almost my bed time 😑 (Tho I would try stay up sometimes)
and whenever I study my focus shifts very quickly. Basically the concentrating (even in class) and tiredness is my biggest frustration. If it’s worth mentioning I’m also taking my thyroid meds!

Hey Rakuu,

QCE student here! I would definitely consider applying for EAS if I were you. I have a similar condition (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - which sometimes changes from an "overactive" to an "underactive" state). So, in my EAS application, I applied for both my chronic illness and my disability - mild cerebral palsy as both of these have definitely impacted my ability to perform well during school. And I definitely agree with AngelWings - it would be beneficial for you tp apply as it can certainly help you throughout the application and offer process and even during university.

Hopefully, that helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).