Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 24, 2020, 10:30:26 am

Author Topic: Subject selection  (Read 108 times)

Cookiemuncher48

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Subject selection
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:38:18 pm »
I am currently in yr 10 and I really want to do Further Maths for VCE but my school will only allow me to do 3 maths if I do 1 in yr 11, so I'm debating whether if I should do Further Maths or do Chinese 3/4 in yr 11. I am also wondering if the workload of doing 2 Maths (Spesh and Meth), English, Chem and Chinese will be too much in yr12?

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +99
Re: Subject selection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:58:45 am »
+1
Hey! I strongly recommend that you don't do 3 math subjects, as you will not have breadth in your subjects and many students who do 3 maths burn out quickly due to too much math. Even in Year 11, many people in my cohort who are doing only spesh and methods are finding it really hard to balance spesh and other subjects. VCE is a wonderful opportunity to learn a variety of skills and knowledge and I strongly recommend that you take different types of subjects, instead of sticking to one.
If the problem is picking between Further and Spesh there are many threads on AN which go through this that I think you'll find very helpful.
Regarding the workload, there are plenty of people who pick high-scaling difficult subjects and excel in them, because they enjoy it and also scaling. If you genuinely love these subjects then go for it :)
2020: Biology
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further