Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 30, 2020, 06:38:52 pm

Author Topic: 50% exam  (Read 320 times)

jasmine24

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
50% exam
« on: August 09, 2020, 08:02:40 am »
+1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to study/remember everything for the 50% exam. Like would it be better to do lots of practice Q's like maths or focus on knowing the content/revising notes
Thanks!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3023
Re: 50% exam
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:47 am »
+4
Hey!

There is a lot of advice on how to study for chemistry exams out there. QCE chem is pretty similar to VCE chem & I recommend you read Vaike's guide (he got the best possible study score in chem) on how to prepare. There's a bunch of other guides, advice and resources which will be largely (but not all) applicable to QCE chem here

Here's my advice:
- understanding first, then practice questions
- understanding terms is much better than focusing on memorising definitions
- look at what mistakes you made in IAs and try to learn from those. Add these to a log of mistakes and keep adding to your log of mistakes as you do practice questions
- once you understand the content, check that understanding and practice applying it with questions
- exam style questions are much better than textbook questions for exam prep - check out the NESA (nsw) and VCAA (vic) past exams to get access to more practice questions (let me know if you have any trouble finding these - happy to help). Check questions against the syllabus to see if relevant and if you have any doubts feel free to ask
- you want to do at least 1 full exam under exam conditions and exam timing, preferably more.
- learning from each exam question you do and the answers is better than skimming through a bunch of practice questions and not learning much from each. Quality > quantity.
- if you're unsure of how got that answer check your notes and if still in any doubt ask!
- it's generally recommend to leave your best quality practice exam until last but if you've already looked at this then don't stress over it.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR WELLBEING. It's much easier to learn, remember & concentrate when you're happy and healthy. Don't just study 24/7

I hope this helps :)

cunglee0805

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:17:19 pm »
Hey!

There is a lot of advice on how to study for chemistry exams out there. QCE chem is pretty similar to VCE chem & I recommend you read Vaike's guide (he got the best possible study score in chem) on how to prepare. There's a bunch of other guides, advice and resources which will be largely (but not all) applicable to QCE chem here

Here's my advice:
- understanding first, then practice questions
- understanding terms is much better than focusing on memorising definitions
- look at what mistakes you made in IAs and try to learn from those. Add these to a log of mistakes and keep adding to your log of mistakes as you do practice questions
- once you understand the content, check that understanding and practice applying it with questions
- exam style questions are much better than textbook questions for exam prep - check out the NESA (nsw) and VCAA (vic) past exams to get access to more practice questions (let me know if you have any trouble finding these - happy to help). Check questions against the syllabus to see if relevant and if you have any doubts feel free to ask
- you want to do at least 1 full exam under exam conditions and exam timing, preferably more.
- learning from each exam question you do and the answers is better than skimming through a bunch of practice questions and not learning much from each. Quality > quantity.
- if you're unsure of how got that answer check your notes and if still in any doubt ask!
- it's generally recommend to leave your best quality practice exam until last but if you've already looked at this then don't stress over it.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR WELLBEING. It's much easier to learn, remember & concentrate when you're happy and healthy. Don't just study 24/7

I hope this helps :)

hi!! really love what you're doing to help us struggling in the hell that is chem. I was wondering if the western Australian practice exams were worth looking at as well? Also, when it comes to answering exam questions what is your strategy to ensure you're hitting all the points that the marker is looking for?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3023
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:32:59 pm »
hi!! really love what you're doing to help us struggling in the hell that is chem. I was wondering if the western Australian practice exams were worth looking at as well? Also, when it comes to answering exam questions what is your strategy to ensure you're hitting all the points that the marker is looking for?

Hi :)

Thank you!

I'm not very familiar with WACE but I've had a quick scan through the syllabus & 2019 exam and it seems like a great fit for QCE chemistry; I would definitely recommend looking at those questions too. In fact, I recommend you do most recent WACE chemistry exam as an exam rather than just picking questions from it :)

For answering exam questions, part of it is gaining familiarity (e.g. this is a standard yield question - I'm going to talk about what the change is, how it's opposed in accordance with L'Hopitals principle, and what the result of that is) and building that up through your practice. When you look at an exam question I would encourage you to look at how many marks there are and try to guess what those marks are for. You won't always get it right but by thinking about it before you answer the question and checking after you'll learn how marking schemes work & what to expect more quickly. You should also record any marks you missed out on in your log of mistakes.

Now as for that initial guessing, here are some things to think about:
- Did you answer every part of the question? (and what verb did they use? Contrast? Compare? Explain? List? These should have different responses)
- Have you shown enough working for the marker to see your thought process and credit you for it?
      - If working from a diagram or graph, have you shown that clearly?
- Does your final answer completely answer the question including units?
- Did you explain any concepts needed?
- Did you use appropriate vocabulary?
- For diagrams & graphs, did you label everything you need to including appropriate units?
- For scenario based questions, have you clearly linked to the given scenario?

I hope this helps!