Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 12, 2020, 09:58:00 am

Author Topic: year 9 working towards chinese sl  (Read 113 times)  Share 

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
year 9 working towards chinese sl
« on: July 31, 2020, 04:11:24 pm »
Hey guys, I'm in year 9 this year and I've been looking into really starting to focus on my chinese level.

I feel like my level right now in chinese is pretty bad compared to my peers at school who are also sitting chinese sl. I'm hsk 4 level (mastered hsk 3) if that is any indication of my level. My listening skills are good, but I have lack of vocabulary (800~words) and my writing/reading need improvement.

I just came here to ask for any advice, whether it be study recommendations, or a guide to working up to vce, habits to start early etc. I'm glad that I still have a few years to brush up my chinese, so that I can take advice on board now and use it to get pretty good at chinese come vce.

Thanks in advance guys.

laineeeeey

• Fresh Poster
Re: year 9 working towards chinese sl
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:28:38 pm »
Chinese is getting really hard these days, not only because of the amount of competition and the curriculum is getting pretty harsh. So if you want to get a good score in SL, you probably need to have the language skill of a SLA student.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Trendsetter
  • class of 2021
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:07 pm »
Chinese is getting really hard these days, not only because of the amount of competition and the curriculum is getting pretty harsh. So if you want to get a good score in SL, you probably need to have the language skill of a SLA student.

Sadly this is really true. A few of my friends are taking Chinese SL 3/4 accelerated as they have always spoken it at home however because they were raised in Australia qualify for SL. A tip from a fellow LOTE student is to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible from a younger age. Watch movies, listen to the news, read things even if you cannot fully understand them. If you work hard I can assure you that anything is possible :)
2020 - maths methods | further maths
2021 - english language | chemistry | french | pe
my vce journey !

The Progenitor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:27:40 am »
Thanks for the reply, besides from a general emergence in the language, are there any specific schedules or study programs that you follow? Whether it be vocab techniques, or what to prioritise etc. Any guidance is appreciated.