Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:13 pm

Author Topic: Rankings for 2020  (Read 820 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Rankings for 2020
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:24:08 pm »
+1
Since there have been a substantial amount of content removed from the study design this year, like many other schools my school has also reduced sacs (less content = less sacs). However, this would mean it will be harder to climb up ranks if there are less sacs. An example of this is happening in methods; most of probability has been removed and as a result we are no longer having a probability sac. This means we only have 2 sacs, namely on polynomials and calculus, worth 22% and 12% respectively.

I personally believe schools should implement a trial exam for the final determined rankings, who else thinks they should do this?

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Rankings for 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 09:24:46 pm »
+2
Since there have been a substantial amount of content removed from the study design this year, like many other schools my school has also reduced sacs (less content = less sacs). However, this would mean it will be harder to climb up ranks if there are less sacs. An example of this is happening in methods; most of probability has been removed and as a result we are no longer having a probability sac. This means we only have 2 sacs, namely on polynomials and calculus, worth 22% and 12% respectively.

I personally believe schools should implement a trial exam for the final determined rankings, who else thinks they should do this?
Yeah they probably should come up with some other way to rank students, however I think students who did well throughout the year would still be ranked higher. Although the final exam determines your study score. At my school it is the opposite, during term 3 I will have a few sacs because term 2 was all remote learning.

jborn007

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:20:14 pm »
+3
i may be wrong but i think some schools are already sneakily using the trial exams to resolve any discrepancies in the SAC rankings at the first place, but yeh it would be harder for students to climb up the rankings due to the amount of content being removed this year 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:23:06 pm by jborn007 »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:50:09 pm »
+4
i may be wrong but i think some schools are already sneakily using the trial exams to resolve any discrepancies in the SAC rankings at the first place, but yeh it would be harder for students to climb up the rankings due to the amount of content being removed this year 
Yep some schools have done it in past years.

I guess the inverse is true also. Those who did well at the start of the year have a much more secure high rank so I don't necessarily see less sacs as being totally unfair. I don't really see a problem with the trial exam method personally if that is the way VCAA want to go. I do think if you are only going to do a trial exam for sac marks it is just better to scrap sacs and make the exam 100% since by doing a trial exam it basically says they are intrested in how students are doing at the very end of the year and the actual end of year exam will be a more precise indicator of it. Currently,  SACs are meant to be a reflection of how you have been going in school throughout the whole year rather than what you got on a practice run 3 weeks before the actual exam.