Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 15, 2020, 06:04:06 pm

Author Topic: Hoping for a HSC Viktory... (hsc '20 journal)  (Read 2197 times)

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
Re: Hoping for a HSC Viktory... (hsc '20 journal)
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:29 pm »
+5
15/7/20 HOLIDAY UPDATE: TRIAL PREP
More than halfway through the holidays! ANd I still haven't done a single practice paper aha.

Update on ADFA application:
Spoiler
I did my interview, and I got recommended!!! So I'm pretty happy with that, but also - that doesn't guarantee a spot at uni :( I have to wait for a letter of offer from ADFA, which could come anytime within the next 2 weeks, up to the DAY BEFORE uni starts. Yikes. I was super stressed about the letter of offer for a few days after my interview - the waiting game is killing me haha. But I guess I'm at peace with it now, there's literally nothing I can do but wait, and hope I'll get a letter of offer...preferably soon ;)
Other than that, gotta keep at my fitness for the fitness test which will happen some time in the future. And ofc keep my grades up...
For the past week or so, I've been focusing on catching up on content, making notes etc. And then I decided to draw the line today - I need to start doing past papers!

But to be honest, it's been an entire year since our last real exam block (prelims....) and I kinda forgot what it's all like. I don't usually make a study timetable unless it's for these big end of year exam blocks, and I didn't even think of making one for TRIALS! Until today...

So now I have a detailed, colour-coded schedule and even though I haven't started the real study yet, that makes me feel better  ;D

I am kinda worried about getting through all the content, but I'll just try my best and hopefully it'll be alright!

Keeping this update short and sweet :)

Good luck to anyone else currently prepping for exams!!
HSC '19: Information Processes and Technology
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 09:28:09 pm »
+3
Congratulations! Sounds like you're well on track, fingers crossed you'll get that letter soon! Sounds like you'll just have to knuckle down for trials, but a lot of people are in the same boat (including me lmao). Good luck with your study as well!

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 10:42:50 pm »
+3
That's such good news!!! Oh gosh Trials...it's good to hear that you're preparing well. I haven't really done any full practice papers either, I'm just still shocked that Trials is so soon and trying to avoid it (not good).
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 09:44:02 pm »
+2
Thanks guys :))
Sounds like you'll just have to knuckle down for trials, but a lot of people are in the same boat (including me lmao).
I'm just still shocked that Trials is so soon and trying to avoid it (not good).

Haha we all gotta start the study grind :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:48:14 pm by Viktoriak_ »

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »
+7
28/7/20 - Term 3, Week 3 (TRIALS!!) update
Hey everyone! Apologies for not updating this for over 2 weeks...

Today was officially our last day of school - from tomorrow, it's study leave for 3 weeks! I'm so excited. For study leave, that is - not for trials :P I know it'll be heaps of studying, but honestly it's so nice to be able to organise my time + study at my own pace during the exam season - not having to worry about homework, assignments etc.

These are my trials dates:
Spoiler
Thursday, Friday (30th, 31st July) --> English Paper 1 and 2
Monday 3rd August --> Physics
Tuesday 4th August --> Maths advanced
Monday 10th August --> Maths extension
Thursday 13th August --> Chemistry

I'm pretty happy with my timetable, especially the huge break between maths advanced and ext/chem (gonna be cramming then!! :o)

English
I've been spending a lot of my time on english lately - too much tbh. This morning I finished my Common mod (1984) quotes table, so now just gotta memorise that and do some practice essays. For Mod A (King Richard 3 + Looking For Richard) I'm using my essay from earlier in the term because I did well + it's relatively easy to adapt to any question I could get. ...and I want to minimise the amount of work I have to do! Mod B (T.S.Eliot) is alright. I've written a practice essay for it, but am yet to compile my quotes + ideas. I'll do that today. Honestly my only goal for english is to FINISH the paper with some decent essays - then I can focus 110% on physics and maths advanced...

Physics
I really really really want to maintain my 1st rank!! That in itself is really motivating me to study physics - I've revised all the theory and done a past paper, still not feeling particularly confident with it all though. I printed out 5ish trial papers today to do during this week so hopefully after that I'll know everything back to front! I don't want to put too much pressure on myself though/let myself down - so I'm just going to try my best, and whatever happens, happens. :)

Maths
Maths is ehhh. I don't think advanced will be that hard - if I get above 80 for both tests that would be great. I'm just going to keep doing practice papers for maths advanced, and that should be enough practice.
The extension content is much harder and I haven't really revised any of it yet. I do have a FIVE DAY break after maths advanced though in which I can cram extension and chemistry. No worries ;D I do enjoy the extension content more just cos its more interesting/challenging. I suppose I'm not as worried about maths because my ranks aren't as high as they are for my other subjects, chances are if I try my best I'll move up (hopefully...). My maths teacher has been really great though, we've been doing revision in class and he's given us heaps of resources. He also said he doesn't mind what score we get as long as we try our best, which is really awesome and helps w the stress :)

Chem
We started doing a past trial paper in chemistry today. Aaand I completely fluked it. I was moving really slowly through the multiple choice, some stuff I genuinely had no idea. I did get a back titration question right though (without revision!) which is nice. Chemistry is the same as maths extension tho - I have a huge gap to study. I've already revised most of the content (i.e. made notes), so if I do some practice here and there this week, then cram next week, I'll be fine.

All in all, I'm trying to stay positive and not stress too much. I feel like so much weight is put on trials - it's only 30% or less. Gonna try my best and hope for the best!

Thank you to anyone who's read this, and if you're also currently doing trials, best of luck!

---

EDIT. Forgot to mention this, but I quit my study schedule pretty much 2 days in. I simply could not keep up with it! I guess it works for some people, and if it does for you, keep at it! But idk because I like structure, but keeping a schedule was too much pressure and not enough flexibility...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:42:39 pm by Viktoriak_ »

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:09 pm »
+5
28/7/20 - Term 3, Week 3 (TRIALS!!) update
Hey everyone! Apologies for not updating this for over 2 weeks...

Today was officially our last day of school - from tomorrow, it's study leave for 3 weeks! I'm so excited. For study leave, that is - not for trials :P I know it'll be heaps of studying, but honestly it's so nice to be able to organise my time + study at my own pace during the exam season - not having to worry about homework, assignments etc.

These are my trials dates:
Spoiler
Thursday, Friday (30th, 31st July) --> English Paper 1 and 2
Monday 3rd August --> Physics
Tuesday 4th August --> Maths advanced
Monday 10th August --> Maths extension
Thursday 13th August --> Chemistry

I'm pretty happy with my timetable, especially the huge break between maths advanced and ext/chem (gonna be cramming then!! :o)

English
I've been spending a lot of my time on english lately - too much tbh. This morning I finished my Common mod (1984) quotes table, so now just gotta memorise that and do some practice essays. For Mod A (King Richard 3 + Looking For Richard) I'm using my essay from earlier in the term because I did well + it's relatively easy to adapt to any question I could get. ...and I want to minimise the amount of work I have to do! Mod B (T.S.Eliot) is alright. I've written a practice essay for it, but am yet to compile my quotes + ideas. I'll do that today. Honestly my only goal for english is to FINISH the paper with some decent essays - then I can focus 110% on physics and maths advanced...

Physics
I really really really want to maintain my 1st rank!! That in itself is really motivating me to study physics - I've revised all the theory and done a past paper, still not feeling particularly confident with it all though. I printed out 5ish trial papers today to do during this week so hopefully after that I'll know everything back to front! I don't want to put too much pressure on myself though/let myself down - so I'm just going to try my best, and whatever happens, happens. :)

Maths
Maths is ehhh. I don't think advanced will be that hard - if I get above 80 for both tests that would be great. I'm just going to keep doing practice papers for maths advanced, and that should be enough practice.
The extension content is much harder and I haven't really revised any of it yet. I do have a FIVE DAY break after maths advanced though in which I can cram extension and chemistry. No worries ;D I do enjoy the extension content more just cos its more interesting/challenging. I suppose I'm not as worried about maths because my ranks aren't as high as they are for my other subjects, chances are if I try my best I'll move up (hopefully...). My maths teacher has been really great though, we've been doing revision in class and he's given us heaps of resources. He also said he doesn't mind what score we get as long as we try our best, which is really awesome and helps w the stress :)

Chem
We started doing a past trial paper in chemistry today. Aaand I completely fluked it. I was moving really slowly through the multiple choice, some stuff I genuinely had no idea. I did get a back titration question right though (without revision!) which is nice. Chemistry is the same as maths extension tho - I have a huge gap to study. I've already revised most of the content (i.e. made notes), so if I do some practice here and there this week, then cram next week, I'll be fine.

All in all, I'm trying to stay positive and not stress too much. I feel like so much weight is put on trials - it's only 30% or less. Gonna try my best and hope for the best!

Thank you to anyone who's read this, and if you're also currently doing trials, best of luck!

---

EDIT. Forgot to mention this, but I quit my study schedule pretty much 2 days in. I simply could not keep up with it! I guess it works for some people, and if it does for you, keep at it! But idk because I like structure, but keeping a schedule was too much pressure and not enough flexibility...

gurllll you sound like you're killing it!! hears to hoping you keep rank 1 and get good for all the other subjects!! I am geniunely so stoked to hear you're doing past paperS, like everything for school, i Just avoid, I'm really feeling so so inspired by you!! see you later and keep us updated!
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:05 pm »
gurllll you sound like you're killing it!! hears to hoping you keep rank 1 and get good for all the other subjects!! I am geniunely so stoked to hear you're doing past paperS, like everything for school, i Just avoid, I'm really feeling so so inspired by you!! see you later and keep us updated!

ahh thank you so much, this message honestly made my day :))
Good luck with all your trials!

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »
+5
trials update

Just gonna keep this short, but here's how my trials are going...

I had english paper 1 and 2 last thursday/friday.
It was pretty bad to say the least :-\
I studied all Wednesday for paper 1, and was completely drained - english is exhausting!!
Anyway the actual test question was ok - I finished my essay, but left a 5 mark short answer to the last 3 minutes. Wrote something super quickly so probably lost 4 marks there. Ah well.
Paper 2 was pretty much the same - I memorised a King Richard essay, and adapted it to the question which was good. The mod B question was SO OUT THERE it took me legit 7 minutes to understand what it was asking.
I think it was something like "The self as conscious of other possible and impossible selves... Discuss this statement in relation to your prescribed text." Like what....
Yeah so I wrote some stuff (remembered my quotes, which was good...memorised them the night before. Do not recommend), but I only got up to the middle of my second paragraph. Rip.

Then I had physics yesterday - which was honestly alright. There were a lot of dodgy questions. Even if I studied more I don't think I could have answered them, it was applied knowledge. A tad trippy. We had heaps of time to do the questions though, which is good. I tried my best, but honestly have no clue how to feel about it - I could get as low as 60 or as high as 90 ahah.

Maths advanced was pretty damn good today considering I only did 2 past papers (again, do not recommend cramming  :-[). We had heaps of time, and most of the questions were straightforward. I think I got around 80%, just cos some of the probability was confusing... Also there was 2 other questions I couldn't solve all the way.

Now I have FIVE DAYS off! ayyeee! Got maths extension on Monday, then Chemistry on Thursday. I'm going to start studying TODAY though, because I know if I relax, I'll take ages to get back into it. Also I haven't done any study for chem or maths ext - and I know there's heaps I don't know...soo better get moving!

Other than trials, life is pretty good! Haven't heard back from ADF yet, but hopefully will soon. It's actually been nice being off school for a bit, I've been out with ma friends a few times which is nice :)
Corona does seem to be coming back though, I know a lot of schools have had their grad and formals cancelled, really hope the situation doesn't get worse!!

Thanks for reading everyone :))

---
EDIT: Looking back, this didn't end up being that short... sorry guys
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:30:15 pm by Viktoriak_ »

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 06:01:26 pm »
+4
trials update

hooray and congrats for getting those 4 exams done!! my teacher always says that if you felt the exam was hard, then they'll probably scale it up and you'll end up doing better than you thought you did :D so you probs did way better! regardless, you tried your best which is what matters the most :) good luck for the rest of your exams, and I hope you hear from ADF soon!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2020, 09:59:44 am »
+1
hooray and congrats for getting those 4 exams done!! my teacher always says that if you felt the exam was hard, then they'll probably scale it up and you'll end up doing better than you thought you did :D so you probs did way better! regardless, you tried your best which is what matters the most :) good luck for the rest of your exams, and I hope you hear from ADF soon!

Ahh thanks, that makes me feel better about it :))
Good luck for your exams as well, and good job on your jap btw, sounds like your smashing it!