Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:09:00 am

Author Topic: Biotechnology  (Read 1229 times)  Share 

jasminerulez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biotechnology
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:32:33 am »
Can someone tell me a good medical, agricultural and industrial use of biotechnology, as well as adv and disv and social/ethical implications for them?
Thanks! :)

3beansoup

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Re: Biotechnology
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 04:22:41 pm »
+4
Can someone tell me a good medical, agricultural and industrial use of biotechnology, as well as adv and disv and social/ethical implications for them?
Thanks! :)

Hey there, here is just some quick notes on some bio technologies
AGRICULTURAL
BT - cotton
advantages :
The agricultural industry will have less of an impact on the environment, as farmers will not have to spray cotton with pesticides
Decreases cost for farmers as they do not have to spray for pests
Increases yield and profit

Disadvantages
Monoculturing: we must still be cautious of the reduction of genetic variation if we only continue to grow selective types of cotton
other examples: golden rice, selective breeding techniques

MEDICAL
Vaccines
Vaccines are dead or inactivated organisms or purified products derived from them.

Advantages
Prevents disease and widespread epidemics
Can potentially eradicate some diseases
worldwide eradication of smallpox and the restriction of diseases such as polio, measles, and tetanus from much of the world.

Disadvantages
Adverse effects: some vaccines cause adverse effects. Some are mild such as  fever, pain around the injection site, and muscle aches
Severe responses such as seizures

Vaccine advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of this biotechnology and should continue to be researched and applied.

other examples: Insulin production through recombinant bacteria

I didn't do much on industrial bio technologies but this could include the production of Beer, wine and alcohol using yeast.

This is just a little bit on my notes on the topic. Definitely do more in depth research on the examples you choose! hope this helps!
~ 3beansoup  ;D