Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 21, 2020, 11:54:07 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 33285 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • class of 2021
  • Respect: +170
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2020, 09:50:12 pm »
+8
While I think this is definitely necessary, I am still very sad about it :(. I am extremely lucky to say that my school had a great online learning model so I am pretty sure my education will not be affected. I am a little worried about the GAT not having a set date but it is good that exams are still in place.

My concern is mental health and my social wellbeing. I am definitely an extrovert and I will miss being able to see lots of people every day. Yes, we can FaceTime and text but it is not the same. I am glad that we are still able to exercise with one other person regardless if they live with you or not as this means that I can have a socially distanced little catch up with a friend who lives close to me.
2020 - mathematical methods | further mathematics
2021 - english language | chemistry | french | physical education
my vce journey !

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Rise up, wise up, eyes up.
  • Respect: +712
« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:29 pm »
+4
I am a little worried about the GAT not having a set date but it is good that exams are still in place.
My school told me that the GAT is 10th of October, hopefully this is accurate and can ease your worries :)
— Free Primary and 7-10 Tutoring —
Message me, or visit my website!

— 2020 Goals —
English 40, Further Maths 45, Biology 45, Legal Studies 40, Psychology 40

— Aspirations —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Paramedicine (Honours) @ Monash

Sine

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1543
« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2020, 10:10:50 pm »
+7
Obviously all the changes are necessary and I support them. There really wasn't any other option but to tighten restrictions.

Unfortunately, I feel this may also further widen the gap between those in low and high SES in terms of VCE. Hopefully, we see some announcements with regards to resources to help students with online learning.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TΪRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2020, 11:01:07 pm »
+6
I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through.

It is always OK worrying about how things will affect you personally.  It's good to have the perspective to see that others have it worse, but that doesn't mean that your concerns don't matter.
In western lands beneath the Sun
the flowers may rise in Spring,
the trees may bud, the waters run,
the merry finches sing.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1088
« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2020, 02:51:11 am »
+3
Obviously all the changes are necessary and I support them. There really wasn't any other option but to tighten restrictions.

Unfortunately, I feel this may also further widen the gap between those in low and high SES in terms of VCE. Hopefully, we see some announcements with regards to resources to help students with online learning.

Important to note - I was recently shown some data that suggested COVID had /already/ done this with the little it's already been out and about (I don't remember the specifics and so can't prove this AT ALL, so feel free to disregard this entirely while I try and find that study again...), so it's likely that this will exacerbate the issue.
Currently Undertaking: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Supramolecular Photochemistry (things that don't bond but they do and glow pretty colours)

Previous Study:
Bachelor of Science Advanced (Research) - Monash University, majoring in Mathematical Statistics and Chemistry
Something in VCE, shit was too long ago to remember

Try out my study score calculator, request your subjects, and help give feedback if you've already completed VCE!

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
  • class of 2021
« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »
+3
Last Day Update: I was expecting today (Monday) to be our last day on campus however my private school is still running on campus learning tomorrow as we are already prepared for online learning. I was prepared for today to be our last day however I am happy that I can see my friends for another day :)

I wonder if any other independant/catholic schools are doing this?

my vce journey !

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2020, 12:42:49 pm »
Last Day Update: I was expecting today (Monday) to be our last day on campus however my private school is still running on campus learning tomorrow as we are already prepared for online learning. I was prepared for today to be our last day however I am happy that I can see my friends for another day :)

I wonder if any other independant/catholic schools are doing this?
One class of mine is having class tomorrow, tho' I don't think the rest are.
VCE 2018-2020
2019: HHD 3/4 (31->?)
2020: Methods 3/4 (36?->?) | Revolutions (France/Russia) 3/4 (32?->?) | English 3/4 (43?->?) | Texts and Traditions 3/4 (42?->?)
Aiming 92+ ATAR - SS's in italics are my aims... some more unrealistic than others (I'm looking at you, Texts, English!)
Aims for uni/life
-Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Deakin (straight Nursing instead if I don't get in)
-Write/publish books (thanks NaNoWriMo.org!)
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +414
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2020, 04:45:34 pm »
+8
According to this timetable by VCAA
https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/administration/Key-dates/Pages/2020RevisedAdminDates.aspx

The GAT will be held on the Wednesday the 7th of October .
the world is too heavy to carry alone.

VCE Class of 2020 

My Short Guide to Mathematical Methods
Study Motivation Tips

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »
Nothing else changed (at this point at least) for VCE dates and so forth?
VCE 2018-2020
2019: HHD 3/4 (31->?)
2020: Methods 3/4 (36?->?) | Revolutions (France/Russia) 3/4 (32?->?) | English 3/4 (43?->?) | Texts and Traditions 3/4 (42?->?)
Aiming 92+ ATAR - SS's in italics are my aims... some more unrealistic than others (I'm looking at you, Texts, English!)
Aims for uni/life
-Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Deakin (straight Nursing instead if I don't get in)
-Write/publish books (thanks NaNoWriMo.org!)
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Rise up, wise up, eyes up.
  • Respect: +712
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2020, 05:36:42 pm »
+6
Nothing else changed (at this point at least) for VCE dates and so forth?
Nup, exams are the same dates. GAT is, as Arty said, on the 7th of October :)
— Free Primary and 7-10 Tutoring —
Message me, or visit my website!

— 2020 Goals —
English 40, Further Maths 45, Biology 45, Legal Studies 40, Psychology 40

— Aspirations —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Paramedicine (Honours) @ Monash

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
  • class of 2021
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2020, 12:24:00 pm »
+4
James Merlino just announced that each student will be individually assessed in regards to the effects of COVID-19. Additionally, an extra $28,500,000 has been allocated to Mental Health resources in schools.
my vce journey !

brothanathan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Your future is spotless, be virtuous
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2020, 12:26:55 pm »
James Merlino just announced that each student will be individually assessed in regards to the effects of COVID-19. Additionally, an extra $28,500,000 has been allocated to Mental Health resources in schools.

Just like the old Victorian HSC system, students being assessed individually. Well, they did scale people's marks up if the bell curve was very low. Very noice

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +423
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2020, 12:27:41 pm »
+5
Here is the exact announcement to add on to elise:
"I'm constantly asked about this and constantly being raised concerns from our students and from our schools. This year is like no other, it is an unprecedented year and we need to support our students in an unprecedented way.

"This year we're going to do things very, very differently. What we're announcing today is that every single VCE student will be individually assessed and any adverse impacts from COVID-19 will be reflected in their ATAR ranking.

"This is quite an extraordinary change. So every single student will be individually assessed. We'll look at things such as school closures, we'll look at things such as long absences. We'll look at things, for example, such as significant increase in family responsibilities as a result of COVID-19 and we'll of course consider the mental health and wellbeing of students during this period.

"So all of those factors will be considered. So now, students will go into their VCE exams with the confidence knowing that they will not be disadvantaged as a result of COVID-19.

"They'll go into their exams knowing that their final scores and their ATAR ranking will be a fair reflection of their year, and they will not be disadvantaged as a result of COVID-19.

"This is a way that we can give every student and every parent of a VCE student the comfort and the confidence that their student will receive their final scores that take into account their individual circumstances. It puts them on a level playing field with every student across the state."

My question is, "what does this mean?"
VCE Journey: 2019 - 2020
Biology [38], Chemistry, Methods, Food Studies, English.

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
  • class of 2021
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:37 pm »
My question is, "what does this mean?"
I'm not too sure, quite broad. I took it in the way that there is more special consideration, depending on school closures, absences, family pressures and other similar things.
my vce journey !

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +423
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:12 pm »
+4
So this is how that will work:

"It'll be individually assessed. Every student is different. We'll work it out at a variety of ways.

"For example, at a school level, for each student, schools will be asked to rank where they expect that student to be right now.

"But they'll also be asked to rank their students if it were not for COVID-19. So both a ranking of where they are at now and where they would have been had it not been for COVID-19 and why.

"Then we'll get all that data from across the state. So we'll have a standardised adjustment. So whether it's a long-term closure, we'll have a standardised way to assess the scores and that will be reflected in the ATAR.

"We'll look at the impact prior to COVID. We'll look at the general achievement test for term 4 and most importantly their VCE exams. But at  school level and an individual student level we're looking at and asking teachers where do you rank your students right now and where would they have been had it not been for COVID-19, and why.

"That's why the message to every single student is that, 'You will be individually assessed. You will be at no disadvantage when you step into the VCE exams at the end of the year.'"
VCE Journey: 2019 - 2020
Biology [38], Chemistry, Methods, Food Studies, English.