Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 07, 2020, 01:46:42 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 28321 times)  Share 

• MOTM: July 20
  • Forum Regular
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
  • Respect: +92
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2020, 03:01:26 pm »
+17
Victoria Update
- We have 6,322 active cases, 385 Victorians are in hospital, 38 of those are receiving intensive care. In terms of health workers, there
  are some 649 active cases.
- 671 new COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths for Victoria

Curfew for Melbourne from 8pm - 5am starts tonight.
- This state of disaster is from 6:00pm tonight
- Stage 4 restrictions announced
- Only allowed to leave home within a 5km radius.
- Recreational activity is no longer allowed, 1 hour of exercise only.
- Only allowed to be groups of 2 regardless if it is your family.
- Only one person will be able to go shopping once per day and they will need to secure the goods and services that are what
   you need within a 5km radius.
- All students returning to homeschooling after the originally scheduled August 19th return to normal school.
- Special schools will remain open for those who really need to be in those settings. And the children, the students of parents who
  are working, they will be able to go to school and be supervised but it will really only be those that are absolutely necessary to do
  so.
- What that means for metropolitan Melbourne the Year 11 and 12s will go back to working from home.

Regional Melbourne is being moved into Stage 3 restrictions from midnight on Wednesday:
- Regional Victoria, from midnight next Wednesday, regional Victoria will move to stage three restrictions. That’s stay at home, except for the four reasons to leaving. That will mean restaurants, cafes, bars, gyms, a whole range of other settings will need to close from midnight next Wednesday
-" In regional Victoria, they will move to remote and flexible learning for all students but there will be I think larger numbers of student that are allowed to be at school because their parents are working."
- Tomorrow, the premier will have more to say about different industries and there will be three categories of industries.
Other things to be clarified:
-Intimate partner visits will be allowed outside of the 5km radius of your home.

Weddings will be banned from Thursday.

Funerals are allowed but 10 mourners only can leave Melbourne to attend one in regional Victoria.

There will be restricted overnight train services.

- These restrictions are proposed to last for 6 weeks. From 6:00pm tonight, others from midnight Wednesday. They will run out until September 13.

- Tomorrow’s a normal day of school. Tuesday will be a pupil free day across the board. And we will then move to flexible and
  remote learning for all students come Wednesday.

Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:26:20 pm by 1729 »
What my avatar is
If you are wondering about my avatar, It was inspired by a problem I did which asked me to prove that the graphs of xy = 1 and y^2 = x^2 + 2 intersected at a 90 degree angle. The resulting figure in the middle kinda like a 8-sided square in hyperbolic space. It also resembles the conformal map of the complex square root.
Subjects: EngLang, Lit, Methods, Spesh, Chemistry, Biology, Physics.

Goals: Melbuni | Doctor

Duck Tails

• Adventurer
  • It's all about confidence, baby.
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »
+12
Absolutely gutted, but if it's what we need to do to save people's lives, then so be it.

I personally didn't fare too well last time with remote learning, mainly due to all the distractions and lack of structure at home. I think I'm pretty lucky both my parents are essential workers so I'll probably go to school this time around (of course sticking within social distancing rules and wearing a mask). I'd hate to be in year 12 right now - you guys are troopers.

Real excited to hear what all the nuffies think about this; take a shot every time you hear the phrase "Commie/Dictator Dan".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:18:54 pm by Duck Tails »
Class of 2022
2020: Bio 1/2

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »
+5
I'm so scared to do SACS online. and them pushing the GAT is just making everything worse because we have potential SACS and exam prep on top of all this in term 4 :(
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Sine

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1448
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
+5
-snip-
Post this on the other COVID-19 thread

trying to keep this on education

whys

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Forum Leader
  • I laugh in the face of danger
  • Respect: +663
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2020, 03:35:00 pm »
+16
Any thoughts on this?
I feel stressed. Feel like saying goodbye to my ATAR lol. I absolutely hate remote learning because I don't learn at all, but I hope that as a result of these restrictions community transmission/spread of the virus can be minimised as much as possible. I mean, at least we don't need to wear masks for 5-6 hours a day anymore since we'll be stuck at home? Haha. It really wasn't a matter of if we would have stage 4 restrictions, it was a matter of when, and at least they're doing it now rather than later. I'm not really fussed about the curfew/exercise/travel restrictions because me/my family were already subconsciously following those, but I wonder what it'll be like if you live in a suburb where some essentials are over 5km away (if they exist?).

I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through. Pretty much my only concern is from my standpoint as a year 12 as I worry about the future/getting into uni/how the hell will I ever be able to get a decent ATAR anymore. Especially the whole thing with online SACs - doing validation tasks back at school for them is stressful too and it's almost impossible to monitor things like cheating. Also worried they will push SACs back, making them closer to exam time.

Overall I'm glad they imposed the restrictions. Can't help feeling stressed though.
VCE
ʀᴇᴀᴅ ᴍʏ ᴠᴄᴇ ᴊᴏᴜʀɴᴇʏ! *:・゚✧。・:*:・゚☆

2019: 𝘱𝘴𝘺𝘤𝘩 [50] | 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘥 [42]
2020: 𝘦𝘯𝘨 | 𝘣𝘪𝘰 | 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘮 | 𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘥𝘴

insanipi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2858
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
+10
Waiting for confirmation that I'm needing to shut everything 100% down at uni again (I'm hoping I have some leeway with the vaccine researchers in my group being able to keep things alive rn). It will be an anxious 24-48h before MIPS will provide info as to their next steps. I just hope they give me the extension I'd need because there's no way I can finish before November now- I legitimately have nothing to do but finish writing the thesis intro during these 6 weeks because of ordering/supply issues delaying any proper results being recorded D:

At least we can save lives though- that's important :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) (Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics- focusing on molecular biol and editing of glowy proteins)
Follow my uni journey here!

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:06 pm »
+5
I feel stressed. Feel like saying goodbye to my ATAR lol. I absolutely hate remote learning because I don't learn at all, but I hope that as a result of these restrictions community transmission/spread of the virus can be minimised as much as possible. I mean, at least we don't need to wear masks for 5-6 hours a day anymore since we'll be stuck at home? Haha. It really wasn't a matter of if we would have stage 4 restrictions, it was a matter of when, and at least they're doing it now rather than later. I'm not really fussed about the curfew/exercise/travel restrictions because me/my family were already subconsciously following those, but I wonder what it'll be like if you live in a suburb where some essentials are over 5km away (if they exist?).

I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through. Pretty much my only concern is from my standpoint as a year 12 as I worry about the future/getting into uni/how the hell will I ever be able to get a decent ATAR anymore. Especially the whole thing with online SACs - doing validation tasks back at school for them is stressful too and it's almost impossible to monitor things like cheating. Also worried they will push SACs back, making them closer to exam time.

Overall I'm glad they imposed the restrictions. Can't help feeling stressed though.

I agree! that is my biggest concern because my experience with online SACS last time was NOT GOOD at all. And I totally relate to not being able to learn efficiently during remote learning because it's just so difficult to separate the home environment from a learning one.
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +393
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:43 pm »
+13

The GAT has also been moved to early term 4, with no confirmed dates. The exam dates haven't moved.

I'm feeling quite anxious if i'm honest. Some of my marks have slipped due to being in full lockdown before, so going back to even tougher restrictions is very scary. Like others this really was needed, and I do hope this brings down the numbers. One of the biggest things i'm scared about is my ATAR, I have no idea if i'm going to be able to achieve what I wanted, so I guess it's just a waiting game.
VCE Journey: 2019 - 2020
Biology [38], Chemistry, Methods, Food Studies, English.

brothanathan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Your future is spotless, be virtuous
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2020, 04:21:44 pm »

The GAT has also been moved to early term 4, with no confirmed dates. The exam dates haven't moved.

What? The GAT's no longer on the 9th of September?

• MOTM: July 20
  • Forum Regular
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2020, 04:24:04 pm »
+7
What? The GAT's no longer on the 9th of September?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-latest-victoria/12515596
Here you go.
Quote from: Alicia Nally (ABC)
The GAT, or General Achievement Test for year 12 students, will be moved from the end of term three to the start of term four.
What my avatar is
If you are wondering about my avatar, It was inspired by a problem I did which asked me to prove that the graphs of xy = 1 and y^2 = x^2 + 2 intersected at a 90 degree angle. The resulting figure in the middle kinda like a 8-sided square in hyperbolic space. It also resembles the conformal map of the complex square root.
Subjects: EngLang, Lit, Methods, Spesh, Chemistry, Biology, Physics.

Goals: Melbuni | Doctor

brothanathan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Your future is spotless, be virtuous
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
+9
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-latest-victoria/12515596
Here you go.

Thanks! Here's the transcript for the convenience of others:

The GAT, or General Achievement Test for year 12 students, will be moved from the end of term three to the start of term four.

VCE exam dates will not change. Exams will finish by December 2.

Year 12 students will receive their ATARs by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:02:19 pm by brothanathan »

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Rise up, wise up, eyes up.
  • Respect: +638
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2020, 06:01:01 pm »
+10
Honestly dislike online learning but despite that I'm keen for these restrictions! The daily number of cases is alarming, gone are the good old days of 17 new cases headlines. I think I'll be alright in online learning, I just need to keep on top of exercising and eating properly so that I dont end up living off noodles and doing 2,000 steps a day cause im at my desk from 7am - 9pm
— Free Tutoring —
Message me, email me or visit my website!

— 2020 Goals —
English 40, Further Maths 45, Biology 45, Legal Studies 40, Psychology 40

— Aspirations —
Bachelor of Paramedicine @ Monash

Massimo1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »
+5
I think this was definitely a necessary step to take, and I actually liked remote learning considering it saves me around 90 minutes of travel time each day and the need to wake up to a cold morning. My school implemented remote learning relatively decently, and I've always been the type of person to get things done independently rather than needing to rely on others.
Dreamed it, then real lifed it - well, still trying.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2574
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:35 pm »
+11

You're definitely allowed to be stressed, upset and disappointed about this - we all have emotions and we are all affected by this!

Re: ATAR, wouldn't be too stressed about it going down the drain as this situation is affecting everyone, so everyone else is also having their learning disrupted. Obviously some people will be affected worse than others, but take comfort in knowing you're not alone :)

Just to re-iterate - we're all here for you! Don't be afraid to reach out. The only way we can get through things like these is if we work together and support each other.
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

The Cat In The Hat

• Trendsetter
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2020, 08:53:27 pm »
+9
I think this was definitely a necessary step to take, and I actually liked remote learning considering it saves me around 90 minutes of travel time each day and the need to wake up to a cold morning. My school implemented remote learning relatively decently, and I've always been the type of person to get things done independently rather than needing to rely on others.
Same! I mean for me it was around two, two and a half hours all told between morning and afternoon.

2020 year 12 our ATARs will be all in the same boat. K888, I reiterate what you are saying also. Personally, having been the only student staying at home for my school's year 12 class for the last couple of weeks, I'm pretty happy with everyone going home (not for selfish if-I-have-to-I-want-you-to-too, but because it's easier for both teachers and classes if everything is either online or at school).
Some of my class is going yay we get to stay home, while others are going there goes me working hard. Unfortunately, my best skill learnt in quarantine seems to have been simply learning how to work on other (and sometimes non-school-related) things while the teacher's talking whooshes straight past me (which also means I might be procrastinating without doing anything useful). :-/ Non-ideal.
Hopefully better this time around...
If anyone needs fellow-year-12 commiseration, I can commiserate...
VCE 2018-2020
2019: HHD 3/4 (raw 31), Maths Methods 1/2, English 1/2, Texts and Traditions 1/2, History 1/2, Chemistry 1/2
2020: Maths Methods 3/4, English 3/4, Texts and Traditions 3/4, Revolutions (France/Russia) 3/4
(VERY optimistic) Aims for VCE
90+ ATAR
42+ Texts [not realistic]
43+ English [definitely not realistic, maybe 40+ if I'm lucky]
36+ Methods [wish for 40+, but definitely not happening]
32+ Revs
Aims for life
Bachelor of Nursing probably at Monash.
Write/publish books (thanks NaNoWriMo.org!)
For Narnia!