Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 01, 2020, 02:25:49 pm

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 33697 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +86
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:47 pm »
+6
Thanks for these responses. Seems like everyone is making a heap of changes which is great but it is always going to be very difficult to regulate in a school environment.

Using all the classrooms and changing timetables was also something that I was thinking of in order to decrease the number of times students have to be within the same classroom in the same day. Having no lockers for some is also a great idea because I know in a lot of schools those areas tend to be the most congested and it would be difficult not to bump into someone else.
Assuming the school hasn't tightened any since I went online a couple of weeks back, my school was kinda being different - they were specifically doing it so that one class was in the same classroom all day as far as poss. Hand sanitiser we had, also told that if we wanted to we could not use our lockers (people ignored that completely) and got told that if we didn't socially distance in the year 12 common room, it'd be shut up for the time being (which people didn't want). There was a lot of cleaning too, and obv. hand sanitiser before each class (well, most of them anyway), and cleaning desks each day/time you have a new class, and we all had to keep to the same desks.
VCE 2018-2020
2019: HHD 3/4 (31->?)
2020: Methods 3/4 (36?->?) | Revolutions (France/Russia) 3/4 (32?->?) | English 3/4 (43?->?) | Texts and Traditions 3/4 (42?->?)
Aiming 92+ ATAR - SS's in italics are my aims... some more unrealistic than others (I'm looking at you, Texts, English!)
Aims for uni/life
-Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Deakin (straight Nursing instead if I don't get in)
-Write/publish books (thanks NaNoWriMo.org!)
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

whys

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Forum Leader
  • I laugh in the face of danger
  • Respect: +752
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2020, 08:20:00 pm »
+3
Using all the classrooms and changing timetables was also something that I was thinking of in order to decrease the number of times students have to be within the same classroom in the same day. Having no lockers for some is also a great idea because I know in a lot of schools those areas tend to be the most congested and it would be difficult not to bump into someone else.
I'm quite forgetful. I forgot to say that we're doing this too haha. Our timetables have been changed so that many of our study periods are the end of the day, allowing year 12s, 11s and 10s to go home early to minimise the number of kids at school. The afternoons are half-empty as a result.

insanipi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2944
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »
+3
One of my local high schools has shut for the second time due to a case from a student (who hadn't been there in a long while apparently). Interesting to know that the school is shutting for 24h and MS Teams is their remote learning weapon of choice.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) (Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics- focusing on molecular biol and editing of glowy proteins)
Follow my uni journey here!

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
VCE 2018-2020
2020: Methods 3/4 (36?->?) | Revolutions (France/Russia) 3/4 (32?->?) | English 3/4 (43?->?) | Texts and Traditions 3/4 (42?->?)
Aiming 92+ ATAR - SS's in italics are my aims... some more unrealistic than others (I'm looking at you, Texts, English!)
Aims for uni/life
-Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery at Deakin (straight Nursing instead if I don't get in)
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

whys

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Forum Leader
  • I laugh in the face of danger
  • Respect: +752
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »
+3
? What is that?
Microsoft Teams. AKA the best online learning platform in the entire world. You cannot argue with me. ;D

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »
+1
Having never tried it, 'tis true I cannot argue. My school uses Google Meet and Google Classroom. Which is not quite up to the standard I would like; not that they ask my opinion :P
VCE 2018-2020
Aims for uni/life
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • class of 2021
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2020, 09:45:59 pm »
+10
What sort of interventions are in place at school to prevent the spread of the virus. I know schools have temperature checks in the morning but for asymptomatic individuals what other changes are in place. How often are classrooms getting cleaned? How close are students normally? What goes on during recess and lunch time? How often are students not following the rules?
Here is a typical "school routine"
1. Get dropped off or walk in one entrance only.
2. Get temperature checked with a fancy robot scanner, then take a sticker for your uniform and use hand sanitiser.
3. Go to lockers as usual. The locker bays that are also used as thoroughfares have been distanced however others haven't.
4. Classrooms have spray, paper towel and hand sanitiser as you walk in. Most people use hand sanitiser but tables are only cleaned in some of my classes (about half).
5. My school has lots of "exam" desks so we have had a few room changes to mean we are in a specific set of classrooms where there is either one person to a one-person desk or one person to a two-person desk.

Our school is extensively cleaned daily I believe, in addition to students cleaning the tables and frequently touched surfaces.

Social distancing is enforced at times, depending on the teacher. Not too prevalent in the smallish hallways which are not one way (a great idea that I hadn't thought about). Some teachers are very strict about it while others don't mind if you move the tables to sit right next to a friend.

Recess and lunch is as per normal I think, and most people make some effort to at least try and socially distance somehow. People do get told off for little things but it is more of a reminder as it is a big adjustment and you sometimes just forget.
2020 - mathematical methods | further mathematics
2021 - english language | chemistry | french | physical education
my vce journey !

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2020, 05:20:23 pm »
+7
Another massive jump in cases in Victoria today. 80+ schools have had to close down since this term started too.

How's everyone feeling about going to school amongst all this? Do you think we'll be closed down again?

Take care!
the world is too heavy to carry alone.

VCE Class of 2020 

My Short Guide to Mathematical Methods
Study Motivation Tips

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Rise up, wise up, eyes up.
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
+4
I'm very happy that masks are being enforced in regional Vic! I've been waiting for them to do this, finally!!!!! Now it wont be weird to wear a mask at school!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:12:07 pm by J_Rho »
Free Primary and 7-10 Tutoring
Message me, or visit my website!

2020 Goals
English 40, Further Maths 45, Biology 45, Legal Studies 40, Psychology 40

Aspirations
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Paramedicine (Honours) @ Monash

iam_real_don

• Adventurer
  • Main Hoon Don (I am Don)
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2020, 06:00:56 pm »
That is very big number of schools closing down in Victoria, hope y'all are safe and keep studying hard at home on Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.

Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.
With Great Pleasure,
(Don)

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »
+2
That is very big number of schools closing down in Victoria, hope y'all are safe and keep studying hard at home on Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.

Microsoft Teams, the greatest school based learning at home system.
Is this an ad or something? If not, it sure looks like it.
I hope we'll be closed down; I am currently staying at home because of the no.'s of cases, so it would be easier if everyone else did. But perchance that's selfish.
Also I feel like keeping schools open sends the wrong message to all the young adults who are going around getting it.
VCE 2018-2020
Aims for uni/life
For Narnia!
Have counted to 73

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Rise up, wise up, eyes up.
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:04 pm »
+6
Someone at the school my parents work at has tested positive. Time to wait for tracing to be done, fingers crossed my folks didnt get it and pass it to one of us kids and we took it to our school  :-\ but that's worst case scenario but you never know!
Free Primary and 7-10 Tutoring
Message me, or visit my website!

2020 Goals
English 40, Further Maths 45, Biology 45, Legal Studies 40, Psychology 40

Aspirations
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Paramedicine (Honours) @ Monash

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2020, 02:48:32 pm »
+5
All schools across Victoria to be closed except to essential worker children among other restrictions. Everyone else on remote learning, including year 11 and 12.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash
Tutoring Methods, Further and Chemistry.
Selling high-quality notes for above subjects
Monash MMI Tutoring!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2643
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2020, 02:52:09 pm »
+7
Just wanted to come and say that AN is here for you all and we'll do our best to support you and help you with your education during these tough times! <3
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:54 pm »
+2
And we're backkkkkk. Mixed feelings about this - but I definetely think it was the best way to go.
I really don't wan to do online SACs again though - would hate for them all to be pushed back.
Feeling a bit anxious at the moment too :(
What a Year 12.

Just wanted to come and say that AN is here for you all and we'll do our best to support you and help you with your education during these tough times! <3

So appreciative for everyone here <3
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:52:54 pm by ArtyDreams »
the world is too heavy to carry alone.

VCE Class of 2020 

My Short Guide to Mathematical Methods
Study Motivation Tips