Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 03, 2020, 08:51:13 am

Author Topic: VCE Literarture vs VCE English - Pls help me decide!!!  (Read 4061 times)  Share 

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
Re: VCE Literarture vs VCE English - Pls help me decide!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 07:04:51 pm »
+1
Hello! Did you do both Lit and Eng for Unit 1? If so, were you always getting better marks in English compared to Unit 1 Lit?
Yes, I did do both and yeah my marks for English tended to be higher than Lit.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »
I definitely would not say that there is less to discuss in literary perspectives. If anything, itís the opposite. In lit perspectives, you not only have to analyse the passage given but you must also go into far more detail regarding the particular lens you chose. I personally found close passage analysis to be easier, because lit perspectives is a completely new form of assessment and also required so much more research into academic sources.

Hope this helps! :D
Thanks again for your amazing advice colline. Wait for Literary Perspectives do you also have to analyse passages, or did you mean the prior analyzing that you do when you study the text ? In that sort of assessment that we did for an intro to VCE Lit (Sem 2 Yr 10) we were allowed to have a quote sheet with 15 quotes (both from the novel and literary criticisms) and were given a prompt to write with, but no direct passages to analyse.

My first Lit lesson for headstart is this week on Thursday and we have until Homeroom on Friday for any final subject changes, so I'd have to decide by then. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes but I don't really know how much of an insight I'm gonna get into it from like 2 periods :-\

Yes, I did do both and yeah my marks for English tended to be higher than Lit.
Thanks for all your insight tigerclouds!
My Guide to Work Experience
"A little progress each day, adds up to big results"

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +417
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:12 am »
+3
Thanks again for your amazing advice colline. Wait for Literary Perspectives do you also have to analyse passages, or did you mean the prior analyzing that you do when you study the text ? In that sort of assessment that we did for an intro to VCE Lit (Sem 2 Yr 10) we were allowed to have a quote sheet with 15 quotes (both from the novel and literary criticisms) and were given a prompt to write with, but no direct passages to analyse.
No worries! :)

For lit perspectives you will do plenty of analysing both as preparation and for the actual assessment. Youíre essentially doing the critiquing on top of close passage analysis.

Your teacher may let you have a quote sheet for internal SACs but on the final exam you wonít be allowed one. You will just be given one prompt.

You wonít be given direct passages to analyse because youíre expected to have quotes, critiques, and major points of analysis memorised.

Put simply:
Section B (CPA) - close passage analysis (with references given)
Section A (LP) - critique AND analysis (without references)

So going back to your original question, literary perspectives is definitely not the less content-heavy of the two. ;)
~ For a dreamer, night's the only time of day ~
VCE Resources!! Methods [50] Literature [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] - 99.75 ATAR
2020 - 2025: Bachelor of Science, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 06:09:37 pm »
//
So after the double today, we didn't do that much work. We just kinda had an intro and watched a movie about Sylvia Plath as we'll analyzing some of her poems for AoS 1. I also talked to my teacher about whether I should change or not and she offered  to allow me to sit in the mainstream Eng class which is on at the same time as the Lit class, but I don't have Lit till Period 4 and the deadline for subject chages is 9:00am tomorrow. To be honest, I'm thinking of staying in Lit for Unit 1, seeing how it is, if I'm enjoying it and actually doing good in it while maintaining equally high marks in all my other subjects. The only thing that concerns me now is what if Lit becomes so much harder and then all my other subjects suffer because either I put in heaps of time into Lit and do well in it. Or put most of my time into my other subjects but do horrible in Lit. What do you guys think?

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 09:53:03 pm »
+3
I think you should give lit a try and see how it goes :)

In year 10 when I was deciding whether I wanted to do 3/4 lit in year 11 without 1/2, or just do mainstream English in year 12, I was very worried of lit's unprecedented reputation and thought maybe it would drag down my other subjects. Honestly, choosing lit ended up being one of the best decisions I made for VCE. So I encourage you to try it and decide for yourself. Give yourself a challenge. ;)
VCE Resources!! Methods [50] Literature [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] - 99.75 ATAR

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 09:47:39 pm »
+1
I think you should give lit a try and see how it goes :)

In year 10 when I was deciding whether I wanted to do 3/4 lit in year 11 without 1/2, or just do mainstream English in year 12, I was very worried of lit's unprecedented reputation and thought maybe it would drag down my other subjects. Honestly, choosing lit ended up being one of the best decisions I made for VCE. So I encourage you to try it and decide for yourself. Give yourself a challenge. ;)
Thanks again for all of your advice. Even though the deadline for subject changes has now changed to this Monday midday, I've decided to stick with Lit for at least Unit 1 and see how it goes. I'll try to stop thinking about whether I should've went to mainstream and instead focus on doing my best.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 05:41:58 pm »
+1
Context, How Lit's been like for Unit 1 so far
Lol, it's me again...
So after a term of Lit and 2 SACs (both for AoS 1), I'm sort of considering switching to mainstream English.
I do enjoy Lit, but I'm just too lazy to ever do stuff for it properly until like the week of the SAC, so then I only end up getting mediocre marks (not the best, not the worst).

The reason why I'm being so lazy with Literature is being I already do like other time-consuming subjects: Methods, Chem, Bio, a LOTE 3/4, a LOTE 1/2 and Religion and Society and I just end up neglecting Lit which is horrible cos it's part of my top 4 in Yr 12.
I feel like unless I'm at least a bit ahead for Yr 12 Lit, there is no way I can do well for Lit next year cos it's just too time-consuming. Analysing texts literally takes me 5 years and honestly I don't know how people do well in this subject. Like how can some people just write stuff at a Yr 12 level in Yr 11? How can they pick up on such small yet meaningful messages? hard work, I know, I know

I know that I'm probably just being lazy and that no matter what English subject I choose I have to put effort into it. But my real question is: is doing well in English in Yr 12 less time consuming than doing well in Lit?Or is the problem that I have taken on too many time-consuming subjects and I just don't have good time management?

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 07:34:09 pm »
+6
How do you feel about the assessments in literature versus mainstream English? Specifically, which do you think your writing style suits more? I think this is the most important factor to consider if you are trying to decide between the two.

Also, what kind of feedback are you getting for your literature SACs? For example, are they mostly targeted towards your analysis, or your arguments, or maybe writing structure and style, or something else entirely?

is doing well in English in Yr 12 less time consuming than doing well in Lit?
This depends on the individual. Honestly from an assessment/exam POV English should be more time consuming as there are more assessments, and you must learn 3 essay styles for the exam as opposed to two in lit.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 08:07:14 pm »
+1
Also, what kind of feedback are you getting for your literature SACs? For example, are they mostly targeted towards your analysis, or your arguments, or maybe writing structure and style, or something else entirely?
Well I haven't gotten the actual criteria sheets nor the actual corrected SACs back yet. But my teacher did give me feedback with the marks I got.

The first SAC we did was an Oral, but it was recorded as opposed to being presented in class so I didn't really memorise it (I wanted too, but of course I was too stupidly lazy to and ended up doing it last minute). The feedback in terms of what to improve on included the tone of my voice and intonation.

The second SAC we did was a Lit perspectives essay on a film. The feedback for what to improve on included: building an interpretation of the text and which was mostly balanced with my understanding of literary criticism (not sure why this was mostly and not completely). Strengthening my analysis even further by including more discussion of film techniques.

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »
+3
The first SAC we did was an Oral, but it was recorded as opposed to being presented in class so I didn't really memorise it (I wanted too, but of course I was too stupidly lazy to and ended up doing it last minute). The feedback in terms of what to improve on included the tone of my voice and intonation.

The second SAC we did was a Lit perspectives essay on a film. The feedback for what to improve on included: building an interpretation of the text and which was mostly balanced with my understanding of literary criticism (not sure why this was mostly and not completely). Strengthening my analysis even further by including more discussion of film techniques.
For what it's worth, the oral is a negligible assessment in unit 3/4. At my school it was worth only 10% of an overall creative SAC. A lot of schools don't assess it at all as long as you turn something in. I couldn't be bothered memorising my oral either

Literary perspectives is really difficult so don't worry if you find yourself struggling with it, especially in 1/2. It's a completely new type of assessment which most students wouldn't have seen previously. Building a strong interpretation requires extensive reading and researching, not to mention time and practice.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 12:03:01 am »
How do you feel about the assessments in literature versus mainstream English? Specifically, which do you think your writing style suits more? I think this is the most important factor to consider if you are trying to decide between the two.
Sorry, I missed this part of your post last time. Well, I feel like since I like structure, I'd be better suited to mainstream English...
But like the real thing is, I feel like with English it's a possibility for me to get a good grade. Like, if I work hard at it, I know that I might be able to do get a good grade. Whereas, with Literature, I feel like no matter how hard I try, I'll always be stuck in the same grade boundary. The only in Lit where I got a better mark, was when our teacher (which is the same one that I have now) marked us more leniently.

Do you reckon these are good reasons to move from Lit to English?
- I've actually gotten a few good grades in English last year in semester 1 whereas in Literature I feel like no matter how hard I do try I'm always stuck in the same grade boundary. (btw, with both Eng and Lit, when I say try I mean my usual last minute cramming)
- I'll probably have a stricter teacher* and maybe a smaller class
- I like structure
- I'm (usually) decent at Oral presentations and they're worth way more in English compared to Literature

*Yes, I know that in the real world that if you want to do well, you'll do well regardless of whether you have a strict or lenient boss. But I just prefer strict teachers over lenient ones cos that means I'm more likely to do the work etc

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:18 am »
+1
- I've actually gotten a few good grades in English last year in semester 1 whereas in Literature I feel like no matter how hard I do try I'm always stuck in the same grade boundary. (btw, with both Eng and Lit, when I say try I mean my usual last minute cramming)
Since I don't know the details like your actual writing style etc, I can only make guesses here - maybe you're writing the same type of essays for both English AND Literature? I did 1/2 mainstream English alongside Literature and I noticed when I write the same style of essays for both subjects, I'd get a great score in one but only a mediocre score in the other.

- I like structure
I mean, it's not like literature has no structure. You're still required to present your ideas in a logical method and everything. You just don't need to strictly follow the ENGLISH structure which has been drilled into all of us since year 7. That said, if you enjoy writing according to the English structure, then literature might not be as suitable.

- I'm (usually) decent at Oral presentations and they're worth way more in English compared to Literature
Yeah, the oral in Literature is worth next to nothing hahah.

Have you tried having a chat to your Literature and English teachers at school about your thoughts towards both subjects and what you can do to improve? They'll definitely give better suggestions than me since they've actually read your work.

Also, I don't know what VCE subjects you're doing but have you thought about what to pick up IF you were to drop literature? Or are you doing 7 subjects atm?

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 05:25:41 pm »
Also, I don't know what VCE subjects you're doing but have you thought about what to pick up IF you were to drop literature? Or are you doing 7 subjects atm?
If I dropped Lit, then I would pick English (I'm only doing literature atm). Yeah, I am doing 7 VCE subjects: methods, biology, chemistry, a lote 1/2, a lote 3/4, religion and society and literature.

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 06:03:22 pm »
If I dropped Lit, then I would pick English (I'm only doing literature atm). Yeah, I am doing 7 VCE subjects: methods, biology, chemistry, a lote 1/2, a lote 3/4, religion and society and literature.

Ah I see. Sorry, I thought you were doing both.

Just wondering, are you planning on doing all 7 subjects or will you be dropping one next year? You seem to have quite a heavy workload.

Anyway, as I said before I think your best course of action is to talk to your lit teacher. You can also try sending your essays to your school's English teachers and ask them whether your writing style would be better suited for mainstream English.