Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 12, 2020, 12:36:48 am

Author Topic: HSC Maths Extension 1 - 04/11/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 2695 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers enthusiast.
Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions for Maths Extension 1 here!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:27:06 pm by Joseph41 »

AHafza

• Adventurer
Any solutions guys ?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Any solutions guys ?
I have class until 2PM. I can start writing up some solutions around then

AHafza

• Adventurer
Thanks your a legend

jenjennie

• Adventurer
So.... does anyone have any ideas on the E4 cut-off? Or what around a high 80s would scale up to?

EDIT: after looking at solutions I got 89 raw. It's just that I did the k, k+1 thing in Q13 really weird (I did it via greatest coefficient) so idk if they'll take a mark off, I mean I got the answer but I doubt it was a very ideal way of working. So maybe an 87 if that's another mark gone. Then again, maybe an 86 because I didn't explain the one intersection point thing very well (I was just like yeah look at the graph, I didn't have none of that increasing decreasing x>k etc. etc. stuff lmfaooooooo)

From school rank I'm in the B6 range so it's just hoping I get like a 93/94 raw lmaoooo but it'll be really hard since this year was heaps easier than every other year. Yikes hope I scraped through for Eng too because I was doing relatively ok until I reckon I flip flopped mod C creative. GL to everyone for other exams!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:27:32 pm by jenjennie »

AHafza

• Adventurer
Iíd like to know too... letís wait for ruiaceís prediction

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • All doom and Gloom.
Sample solutions; please:
a) Point out any mistakes! And tell me if something needs more explanation, particularly multiple-choice because I left most explanation blank. Also, tell me if you can't read my writing.
b) Click to enlarge the photos!

Multiple Choice
Question 11

Question 12

Failing everything, but I'm still Flareon up.

HSC 2018: Modern History [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Advanced [87] | Maths Extension 1 [98] | Maths Extension 2 [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - Verbal Reasoning [740] | Decision Making [890] | Quantitative Reasoning [880] | Abstract Reasoning [800]

Quick Link to Guides:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Remaining solutions. As above, let me know if there's any error and please click the photo to resize it :)

Question 13

Question 14

I must say, there were definitely quite a few weird questions again. Q14 got a bit difficult to carefully navigate at the end. They definitely also had quite abstract Q9 and Q10 multiple choices as well!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:52:18 pm by RuiAce »

worldno1

• Trailblazer
65-66/70 raw will align to? :(

Gosh, also if I expressed alpha in terms of k instead of k in terms of alpha...am I going to get deducted? I had k in terms of alpha like 2 lines above. :'(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:01:43 pm by worldno1 »

alisontungmy

• Adventurer
65-66/70 raw will align to? :(

Gosh, also if I expressed alpha in terms of k instead of k in terms of alpha...am I going to get deducted? I had k in terms of alpha like 2 lines above. :'(

Hmm maybe 97?(judging from previous years)
Argh i am so careless...lost a few marks :'(
(I think i did better in 4u than this...nvm it is over)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:00:04 pm by alisontungmy »
HSC 2018: Mathematics
HSC 2019: Maths Ext.1, Maths Ext.2, Standard English, Music 2, Biology, Physics

worldno1

• Trailblazer
Hmm maybe 97?(judging from previous years)
Argh i am so careless...lost a few marks :'(
(I think i did better in 4u than this...nvm it is over)
Same here lmao I struggled more with 3u. yikes. feels bad when every mark weights more too since it's only out of 70.

iktimal

• Adventurer
Hey, can someone who has the paper post it, if you have photos please????

VVVVVVVv

• Fresh Poster
hey i was wondering if its okay for part 14 cii to use the argument of inverse and stuff where i let cos(x)=q and cos(x-alpa)=q and then say that because of range sin(x-aplha) is negative of sin(x). if u get what i mean

alisontungmy

• Adventurer
hey i was wondering if its okay for part 14 cii to use the argument of inverse and stuff where i let cos(x)=q and cos(x-alpa)=q and then say that because of range sin(x-aplha) is negative of sin(x). if u get what i mean
Yes i think! A few people in my school did that, as long as your argument is clear I'm sure you are fine
HSC 2018: Mathematics
HSC 2019: Maths Ext.1, Maths Ext.2, Standard English, Music 2, Biology, Physics

AHafza

• Adventurer
So what would 60,61/70 align too?
I blew the state rank, made the worst mistakes. 😭