Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 18, 2019, 12:59:48 am

Author Topic: How would you change VCE?  (Read 1379 times)  Share 

Geoo

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +53
Re: How would you change VCE?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »
Devil's Advocate: removing English from the top 4 (but keeping compulsory) sends the message to students that VCAA cares about English but don't care that much.

Personally I think it should be compulsory but not top 4, (unless someone wants to make a math compulsory + top 4 but it would be unfair of having 50% of your top 4 chosen by someone else).

So, in that case, Eng/Math should be compulsory but don't have to be top 4.

Also, some more reasoning for Eng not being top 4 is that it is probably the only subject where your teacher is arguably the most important factor. For stuff like math, you don't necessarily even need a teacher and can learn via a textbook/internet.

100% agree with you there!
I do agree the English should remain compulsive it shouldn't be top four.
I mean we can drop maths, so why does need a push?
To keep people motivated as I think with a 10% increase it would make students care less about the subject and not put to much time, maybe change it to counting for a higher percentage? like 50% or 30% Just a thought.
.                                                                                                         |2019| Biology.
                                                                          |2020| English, Maths Methods, Food Studies, Chemistry.
                                                                                                       My VCE 2020 Journal

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Bad puns are how eye roll
  • Respect: +2067
Re: How would you change VCE?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:58 pm »
+3
I wish there was an english subject that was on english skills for science. I'm never going to need to know how to write a creative piece or analyse a text, but I wish I'd been taught how to actually write a scientific report when I was in high school. The poster that's now made in all VCE science classes feels like primary school work in comparison, and I don't really think there's enough time for it to be taught in science class anyway. Getting to uni and being expected to be able to write a report every second week without ever having been taught how to reference properly before was unpleasant (not so much for the people who did IB and had already done been doing it for years).
2019: B Environment and Sustainability/B Science @ ANU