Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:43:24 pm

Author Topic: Any tips for maximising study time?  (Read 748 times)

sarah-tran

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Any tips for maximising study time?
« on: July 28, 2019, 01:42:55 pm »
I am currently doing Legal Studies, Business Studies, Society and Culture, English Adv, math (2U and 3U) and Vietnamese. I was wondering how I can maximise my studying time before, after school, weekends and holidays.

Especially for English how I should utilise my time during class how I can get the most of every English lesson, what I should do during and after class. :))

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Any tips for maximising study time?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 08:37:28 pm »
+3
I am currently doing Legal Studies, Business Studies, Society and Culture, English Adv, math (2U and 3U) and Vietnamese. I was wondering how I can maximise my studying time before, after school, weekends and holidays.

Especially for English how I should utilise my time during class how I can get the most of every English lesson, what I should do during and after class. :))
I think instead of maximizing study time, you mean make the most effective use of your study time. I can only speak for Math's.

What I can say is don't spend your whole time doing easy questions. A major thing I saw is people spending so much time doing the Homework exercises from Maths in focus. These questions are useless to do. You should only need to do like 2 or 3 of these and then move on. Use your time wisely on the more conceptual questions.

Another thing is when doing past papers figure out how much time you tend to spend on each question. Like question 11, 12 ,13....It's not necessary to do the paper from question 11 to 16 every time because 11-13 is roughly the same thing every year. Instead give yourself like 40 minutes and time yourself to see if you can do all of 16 in that time. This way you can get many harder questions done in a shorter amount of time as your not spending 3 hours on every paper.

Now in terms of physically maximizing how much time you have to study, waking up early on the weekends would be good for you. I'm being a hypocrite here because I always studied late but still.

It can also help to do a holiday course in 3u Maths if your up for it. It's really fast paced and you have to study a lot everyday but it means you've already learnt everything going into the term and this can free up a lot of time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:41:56 pm by DrDusk »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Any tips for maximising study time?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:18:20 pm »
+3

Hey, sarah-tran!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Great to see you thinking about maximising your study time where possible  :) I think my best advice for maximising study time would be to firstly establishing what your non-negotiables are for the week. These are things including classes, extra-curricular activities and social life commitments. I would then distribute your subjects across the time you have allocated free for study to ensure they get equal dedication. I would recommend reading this highly helpful article for finding the right fit for your subjects  :D

For English specifically, I would always recommend reading your texts in advance to studying them in class. This way, you can use the class time to annotate and analyse more efficiently. I would reserve any further questions or research to support your study to be conducted after class. See where gaps in your knowledge are and aim to fill them by spending some time doing extra reading. I would also recommend attempting an essay question every fortnight, even if it's just an introduction you end up completing. This can help you familiarise with the syllabus and to let you apply your content most effectively. Submit those attempts for feedback from your teacher so you can learn and improve your skills over time  :D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:19:42 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music