Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:53 pm

Author Topic: Looking to improve English & text response skills  (Read 601 times)  Share 

Jmjay100

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Looking to improve English & text response skills
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:46:20 pm »
Hi guys,
Upon learning that English is compulsory and must be in your top 4 subjects, I got worried.
Previously I have always struggled with English as I am more of a science type of person.
I have decided that this year I am going to fully commit to improving my english skills and trying
to get much higher marks so I don't struggle in year 11 and 12. Currently I am reading Macbeth and
am due to write a text response on it in about 6 weeks.
Any tips for me in general or pertaining to Macbeth?

gary123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Looking to improve English & text response skills
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:59:28 pm »
I did Macbeth in year 10 and it was confusing at first especially since its 'Shakespeare' -  but I think what is important is you develop an appreciation for the ideas that Shakespeare tried to communicate in a deeper level through the use of metalanguage, structural features, characters, events.

What worked for me was writing notes based on themes and characters and integrating this into my essays so that when it came to assessment tasks I wouldn't have to rely on thinking of ideas on the spot, but rather recalling ideas I've already created in my notes and manipulating or even adding to it to suit the prompt. Text response is mainly showing your ability to discuss the ideas communicated in the text related to a prompt so focus on being able to come up with original interpretations of the text and express it in a concise way.

When examining textual evidence you should primarily be thinking how it relates to a theme, what idea is author communicating with this dialogue, how and why they are portraying a character in a certain way (other things as well but these are main ones)

Identifying and utilising metalanguage and and structural features will enhance your analysis (the dagger Macbeth sees is only an illusion, you could identify this as a metaphor for some idea or foreshadowing of Macbeth's downfall - its up to you - interpretation is subjective.
Thats all I could come up with - good luck man!
2018 - Psychology [50]
2019 - Chem,bio,spesh,meth,eng

Jmjay100

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Looking to improve English & text response skills
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »
Thanks gary,
I'll be sure to use this throughout the assignment.
:)